OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for youth deer rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for youth deer rifle
    Posted: October/01/2010 at 10:18
My 11 year old is just getting into deer hunting and wants a 7mm for his birthday.  I'd appreciate any suggestions on a good quality, but inexpensive ($200 range for scope) set up for him.  Most of his shots will be less than 100 yds here in the Palmetto state.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. Theodore Roosevelt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 10:23
The 2-7 Vortex Viper would probably fit good.  He won't be taking a lot of long shots and he shoudl be able to get on target quick with it.  The C3 reticle offering will help him get the reticle centered pretty good and the glass if quite clear from the reviews.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 11:54
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

The 2-7 Vortex Viper would probably fit good. 

+1. That's what I got for my 12 year old a month ago, and it works very well for him. I liked the Viper 2-7 so much that I bought a second one.
hometheaterman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Dolphin Overton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hometheaterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 13:10
Yep, I think that Viper is the best bet right now.

When the Vipers aren't on clearance, I think the Vortex Diamondback and the Burris FFII scopes are both good values.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 13:11
Another good choice would be a weaver K-4. Decent glass,decent price, simple no knobs to turn no way to be set to 9 power etc when the deer appears at 50 yds, plenty of power for up to 200-300 yds.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 13:15
powderburn,

I like that Weaver recommendation a lot, but I gotta side with the other fellas ...

Vortex Viper 2-7 !!!
-Matt
Woof View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 13:46
Sounds like the Vortex is the crowd favorite.  Thanks for all of the input fellas.
To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. Theodore Roosevelt
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 21:21
Originally posted by hometheaterman hometheaterman wrote:

When the Vipers aren't on clearance, I think the Vortex Diamondback and the Burris FFII scopes are both good values.

good choices as well, i would add the new redfields as well.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 22:43
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by hometheaterman hometheaterman wrote:

good choices as well, i would add the new redfields as well.
+1
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 08:49
which 7mm ? If a 7mm/08 - the Vortex would be ideal for the budget ,,, I also tried a Monarch 2-8 , and it works wells on my Win 70 7mm/08 , but will run you in the $275 range
TxRzrBk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TxRzrBk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 08:56
+1 on the Vortex 2-7, would also consider the Sightron SII 3-9x42, with the Sightron rebate you would be right at your budget.
Hubby11 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 13:00
Add me to the Vortex Viper 2-7X32 bandwagon.  As long as they are on clearance for $170 I don't think anything else comes close.
Steve
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2010 at 15:51
Originally posted by Hubby11 Hubby11 wrote:

Add me to the Vortex Viper 2-7X32 bandwagon.  As long as they are on clearance for $170 I don't think anything else comes close.

Mega-dittos

Edited by Magnumdood - October/02/2010 at 15:53
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2010 at 09:25
Originally posted by Woof Woof wrote:

My 11 year old is just getting into deer hunting and wants a 7mm for his birthday.  I'd appreciate any suggestions on a good quality, but inexpensive ($200 range for scope) set up for him.  Most of his shots will be less than 100 yds here in the Palmetto state.

It would be hard to go wrong with the Viper.  I liked it well enough when they were full price.  When they dropped 'em to clearance, I bought another, even with no rifle to put it on!

Another option for roughly the same $ would be the Sightron SII 4x32:  http://swfa.com/Sightron-4x32-SII-Riflescope-P9181.aspx.  Fixed power makes it nice for a beginner, but you're getting excellent glass for the $ spent.

However... what kind of 7mm are you looking at?  The Sightron has a pretty short tube, so unless you're looking at a short action (7mm-08), you'd have to get a bit more creative with your mounting options in any standard (.280 Rem) or magnum (Rem Mag, Wby Mag, STW, Mashburn, etc., etc., etc.) chambering.

Of course, I'm blabbing on & on as if you're considering a bolt action.  It would all be moot with a single shot...

FC
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 09:13
you don't mean a 7 mag for an 11 year do you?
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 17:24
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

you don't mean a 7 mag for an 11 year do you?
I missed that if it was posted.  Did the OP buy a 7 mag for an 11-old??

Because of the Brave
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 17:31

He never said.  Only that his son wanted a 7mm for his b-day.  If he's a normal 11 yr old he'll want the biggest and the badest. So.....................maybe a RUM?

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 18:56
Yea 7mm Rem Mag would be a lot of recoil for a under 200 yd rifle and I would think  a 7mm Mag would warrant more scope and be better suited to much longer distances.  The 7mm08 would be an excellent choice for a 200 yd rifle and a 2-7 scope. If it really is a 7mm Mag I would suggest the Super Sniper fixed 6x42 Tactical scope which will allow a more thorough use of that caliber at longer range and be well worth the cost at $299
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2010 at 22:01
An 11 year old doesn't have any business shooting a 7 unless it's a 7x57 or maaaaybe a 7-08.   The 7x57 will kill any N.A. game, and the recoil is fairly light.  A better rifle for a youngster would be the 6.5x55. 

Because of the Brave
Woof View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 13:52
Just to clarify, my son wants a 7mm-08.   Also considering a .243, but have not made that call yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic