OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Warranties compared for scope manufacturers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 07:23
Originally posted by WestOfPecos WestOfPecos wrote:

But I do not agree that the warranty content does not matter. It creates a legal obligation. Both warranty doc and practice need to be good:-)

I'm not at all suggesting that warranty content doesn't matter.  I'm saying that product quality and the company's actual demonstrated practices matter more.  Some of those with excellent warranty terms don't have the product quality to match their warranty, or good customer service in practice.  If you buy a high quality product, you are less likely to need a warranty, and just because a company says their product is covered for life doesn't mean they do a good job of service, will actually repair things to the customer's satisfaction, or won't give you the runaround when you are trying to get something repaired.  Or, they make the warranty repair process a hassle. 

I would much rather buy from a company who has proven to demonstrate great CS than one who merely says they do, but their practices don't match their rhetoric.  Sure, it's best to have both great customer service and a great warranty, like Leupold and Vortex, but I would much rather deal with a company with a proven track record of great service and a mediocre warranty than one with a great warranty and mediocre service.  I feel like I can reason with the former.

Another example... ask around and do some searching on Burris and Swarovski and then tell me which one treats their customers better.  Then, tell me if they are in the correct order on your list. 

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 07:25
What about SWFA's SS warranty?  Chris doesn't really list one but everyone knows if something is wrong he replaces it.   nothing written down but Its a 10-star warranty in my eyes!  And I know i won't have to use it either.Big Grin
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 07:49
Bushnell fixed my banner for me. Fairly quick turn around. THis is the only experience I have had with bushnell cs. The only complaint I have is that they claimed the scope broke due to improper mounting, but I think it was due to not being able to withstance the recoil of the gun. It worked for a while then crapped out. From taking apart my eurolux scope, and taking the lenses off of two simmons, I dont see any reall way that mounting a scope would cause it to break premature after seeing how the internal workings are. They are much simpler than I had thought. ist basically a smaller tube inside the larger tube with a spring and the two adjusters pusing against that tube in a way that will angle the tube in the x and y axis. the other end is fixed with a spring washer and lock ring that holds it steady but allows for adjustment movement.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 11:22
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Another example... ask around and do some searching on Burris and Swarovski and then tell me which one treats their customers better.  Then, tell me if they are in the correct order on your list. 

Ted: for clarification, they are in the correct order:-) This is why - my spreadsheet is evaluating the warranty, slightly corrected by the service, if the service did not properly implement the warranty. I tried to define that as clearly as possible in the original post. Burris has a lifetime transferable warranty, and implements it in practice. Swarovski doesn't have a warranty that is lifetime on the whole scope, and the warranty they have is not transferable. You are discussing Swarovski's service, which is top notch - nobody is denying that. But this is not what I am evaluating. I am evaluating their warranty, which is wanting.

I do understand that you put service quality ahead of warranty quality. If I had to make the choice I would probably do the same. But I don't want to have to make that choice. I would like a good warranty and good service. I don't really want to sacrifice the warranty - my choice. As SVT was writing, Vanilla, Chocolate... :-) This is why I put this spreadsheet together for my own reference.

I truly don't mean to pick an argument - just sharing facts. I have learned a lot from your many posts on OT - they are always cogent and dense with information. I am not looking forward to giving the impression that I disagree with you - and, in fact, I actually agree with 95% of what you wrote in all these posts. I also don't want to leave the wrong impression on the subject at hand. I do know about warranties, their implementation, and the problems around them, and I certainly feel that my point of view on them is as good as the next man if not better:-)

Btw, Burris, from what I know, would also rank high. I have read very few complaints abt them, and the people who write about hem typically say good things abt their service from what I have read. Anecdotally, I actually have some Burris gear, and my interactions with Burris CS have always been outstanding. If they always treat their customers like they treated me they have first class service.

Edited by WestOfPecos - September/30/2010 at 11:40
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 11:29
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

What about SWFA's SS warranty?  Chris doesn't really list one but everyone knows if something is wrong he replaces it.   nothing written down but Its a 10-star warranty in my eyes!  And I know i won't have to use it either.Big Grin

I could not find a written warranty, although I am sure there is one somewhere. But I would only publish a rating if it rates really high, it is their site after all:-) I know their service is really good.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 11:32
For USO, they have always been very, very helpful, even doing things not covered under the written warranty.  They rank high in my evaluation.

No Hensoldt?

No S&B? 
I'll watch this thread with interest.  Personal experiences play a huge part in the evaluation.  if basing this on documentation, it ain't real-world.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 12:18
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

No Hensoldt?
No S&B? 

Just added them for your viewing pleasure:-)

From what I gathered/ found out:
- Hensoldt is NOT serviced through Zeiss, but has its own service channel. They have a small warranty repair center in the US where they can deal with very small stuff, the rest goes to Germany. The round trip to Germany only takes 2-3 weeks generally. Very few people have posted on Hensoldt service issues yet, but so far it's a clean track record.

- Schmidt & Bender: the 10 year warranty is really 10 years and no longer, but they guarantee parts availability for 30 years. After 10 years you pay for labor, and, in general you pay for parts, but they occasionally make exceptions. They are really good about repairing accidental damage (as opposed to manufacturing defects), but, in general, if it is glass that is damaged accidentally, they will really charge for the glass. Note that S&B is not lifetime, but is transferable, i.e. they don't adapt perfectly to my rating scale.

Edited by WestOfPecos - September/30/2010 at 12:20
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 19:21
OK - since everybody is wanting to discuss warranty service on top of the original topic of warranty itself, I will also add a section to rate the quality of the warranty service itself. But - that is truly subjective, so I am not quite sure how to attack it. I will think abt it for a day or so to see if I can think of something. Please let me know your thoughts.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 20:22
No Vortex Viper?????? ...in my ESPN voice....Com on Man!!---Bboy623

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Stringer View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stringer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 20:36
No Meopta?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 22:07
Originally posted by Bboy623 Bboy623 wrote:

No Vortex Viper?????? ...in my ESPN voice....Com on Man!!---Bboy623

Vortex is there - you missed the line:-)
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 22:43
Originally posted by Stringer Stringer wrote:

No Meopta?

Added Meopta:-)

Meopta has a lifetime transferrab le warranty, but the warranty specifically requires that registration be sent with 30 days, or there is no warranty: another pitiful legal trick to reduce warranty costs. But - this is so stupid and would certainly make the brand fail if they applied it, as they would get very T'd off users - so CS right now waives the registration requirement even if the scope was transferred. Meopta has a repair center in the US, which provides fast turnaround. It appears that, in general, when repairs need to be sent to the Czech Republic, they issues quick replacements. Few people post about Meopta warranty experiences, but what can be found is generally very good to outstanding.

However, beware - if anything changes in the company, Meopta's waiving the registration requirement could quickly be a thing of the past, even if you have taken advantage of that warranty before.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 09:53
Just added Minox.

They have an excellent lifetime, transferable, no-questions-asked warranty. They are easy to reach, their turnaround is good, and they do warranty repair in the US. They seem to be doing everything right, and I am very impressed.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 11:31
Swarovski: (repairs now effected in the US).

Not sure what you mean by this? They been repairing their stuff here at SONA (USA) for years now.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 12:16
Leupold: lifetime, transferable. Easy to reach support, quick turnaround. Great online reputation for support.

No questions asked lifetime transferable only on their gold ring products. Their tactical scope warranty is the same as gold ring as long as it's for recreational use only (hunting, punching paper, etc.), electronics is two year warranty, and green rings products are non-transferable lifetime warranty.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 15:45
Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Leupold: lifetime, transferable. Easy to reach support, quick turnaround. Great online reputation for support.

No questions asked lifetime transferable only on their gold ring products. Their tactical scope warranty is the same as gold ring as long as it's for recreational use only (hunting, punching paper, etc.), electronics is two year warranty, and green rings products are non-transferable lifetime warranty.

Hi Mike:
all of their scopes are gold ring products, with the exception of the Mark 4 line, which is also covered by the same warranty as long as it is not used in combat. When I raised the question w/ Leupold, they confirmed to me that the same warranty would cover personal Mark 4s used by LEOs.

You are correct abt the electronics. Most if not all manufacturers have limited coverage for electronics. I am still researching if there are some manufacturers for which electronics is not excluded from their general scope warranties. This thread does not cover electronics:

Please note that the following information applies to scope optics and mechanicals, not to accessories, and not to scope electronics.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 15:53

Originally posted by Stringer Stringer wrote:

No Meopta?

Added Meopta:-)

Meopta has a lifetime transferrab le warranty, but the warranty specifically requires that registration be sent with 30 days, or there is no warranty: another pitiful legal trick to reduce warranty costs. But - this is so stupid and would certainly make the brand fail if they applied it, as they would get very T'd off users - so CS right now waives the registration requirement even if the scope was transferred. Meopta has a repair center in the US, which provides fast turnaround. It appears that, in general, when repairs need to be sent to the Czech Republic, they issues quick replacements. Few people post about Meopta warranty experiences, but what can be found is generally very good to outstanding.

However, beware - if anything changes in the company, Meopta's waiving the registration requirement could quickly be a thing of the past, even if you have taken advantage of that warranty before.

Meopta honored my warranty no questions asked and I did not send in a card at all.  I had a new scope in my hands in about a week. 

Edited by supertool73 - October/20/2010 at 15:54
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 16:42
Swaro honored my SLC binos warranty without a receipt, warranty card or registration as well. Repairs/upgrades were done in the USA, turn around time was about two weeks (west coast to east coast and back). The only cost to me was shipping. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 16:50

Originally posted by mike650 mike650 wrote:

Hi Mike:
all of their scopes are gold ring products, with the exception of the Mark 4 line, which is also covered by the same warranty as long as it is not used in combat. When I raised the question w/ Leupold, they confirmed to me that the same warranty would cover personal Mark 4s used by LEOs.

You are correct abt the electronics. Most if not all manufacturers have limited coverage for electronics. I am still researching if there are some manufacturers for which electronics is not excluded from their general scope warranties. This thread does not cover electronics:

I was told slightly different info recently from Leupold CS in regards to their tactical scopes and that it wasn't just combat that effected how the warranty would be honored. If your right about LEO personally owned tactical scopes that's cool, it should be!!  Thunbs Up
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 18:15
I think Vortex is also no questions asked. Am I right??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic