OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Warranties compared for scope manufacturers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Warranties compared for scope manufacturers
    Posted: September/29/2010 at 15:25
After the discussion we had on the Swarovski warranty, I built a spreadsheet for myself that shows all warranties compared for the US. I thought I might as well share the data. My info may be out of date or incorrect, so if you find an error, please let me know, I will edit when facts are wrong. The companies whose names are not here - I just don't know enough about them. The global ratings are, of course, mine, and rate warranty, downgraded by lack of support if the company does not fully support the warranty in practice. They do NOT rate the quality of support itself, only the lack thereof when it impacts warranty service (edited for clarification).

Please note that the following information applies to scope optics and mechanicals, not to accessories, and not to scope electronics.

5-star warranties (corrected by support)
  • Leupold: lifetime, transferable. Easy to reach support, quick turnaround. Great online reputation for support.
  • Vortex: lifetime, transferable. Easy to reach support, quick turnaround. Great online reputation for support.
  • Sightron: lifetime, transferable. Easy to reach support, quick turnaround.
  • Burris: lifetime, transferable. Easy to reach support, quick turnaround.
  • Minox: lifetime, transferable, no questions asked. Easy to reach support, turnaround is fast and repairs are done in the US (scopes are assembled in the US also).
  • Zeiss: lifetime, transferable. Easy to reach support, quick turnaround for US repairs, slow for Euro repairs.
  • Hensoldt: lifetime, transferable., Easy to reach support, quick turnaround for (small) US repairs, fairly quick for Euro repairs.
  • Nightforce: lifetime, transferable. Easy to reach support, reasonable turnaround.
  • Redfield: lifetime, transferable. Easy to reach support, quick turnaround.

4-star warranties (corrected by support)
  • Nikon: lifetime, transferable. There are a lot of bad (and also good) stories about support.
  • IOR: lifetime, transferable. Easy to reach support, slow turnaround (Europe repairs). Opinions are divided on the quality of service.
  • Meopta: lifetime, transferable, but registration must be sent within 30 days of purchase. Right now Meopta CS in general waives the registration requirement even if scope was transferred. Easy to reach support, fast turnaround for US repairs/ in general fast replacement for Czech Republic repair.

3-star warranties (corrected by support)

• Weaver: lifetime, not transferable. Easy to reach support, quick turnaround.
  • Trijicon: lifetime, non transferable. Easy to reach support, reasonable turnaround.
  • Schmidt & Bender, 10-year warranty, transferable. Easy to reach support, fast turnaround when US repairs (since Jan 2010), slow when Germany repairs.

2-star warranties (corrected by support)
  • Bushnell: lifetime, not transferable. Easy to reach support. Many mixed stories about the realities of Bushnell service.
  • Kahles: lifetime for "optical systems", 5 years labor/ 10 years parts for others, not transferable. Easy to reach support, slow turnarounds (Europe repairs).
  • Swarovski: lifetime for "optical systems", 5 years labor/ 10 years parts for others, not transferable. Easy to reach support, quick turnarounds (repairs now effected in the US). In practice, their warranty service has largely exceeded the terms of their warranty. Many positive stories about their support.
  • USO: lifetime, not transferable, does not cover dust in lenses. Warranty service requires original packaging and original receipt. Easy to reach support, fast turnaround (in the past 3 years). Some mentions of refusal to exchange irreparable scopes. Many positive stories about speed, quality and extent of support.

1-star warranties (corrected by support)
  • Steiner: 10-year warranty, non transferable. Easy to reach support, turnaround unknown.
  • March: 5-year warranty non transferable. Hard to reach support, slow turnaround (Asia repairs)

0-star warranties (corrected by support)
  • Falcon: no warranty in the US. Dealer provides dealer warranty if any. Typically dealers provide 5-year non-transferable warranty.
  • (waiting for you to send me some names:-)

Important Edit Note: there has been some mention of subjectivity. Therefore, I should be very clear on how I created my ratings (that's what I use on my spreadsheet, for my own use). There is NO subjectivity on the warranty section. There is ONLY subjectivity on the Downgrades, which may only remove 1 star, no more.
- 5 stars = lifetime, fully transferable warranty, covers all (except usual negligence, mistreatment etc.): only the best
- 4 stars = 5 stars minus a downgrade (see below for downgrades)
- 3 star = lifetime + non transferable, or transferable + non lifetime
- 2 star = lifetime warranty does not cover all systems, non transferable
- 1 star = warranty limited by a number of years, non transferable
- 0 star = really crappy warranty

Downgrades ONLY by 1 star to the scale above:
- if there are many stories of support problems
- or if there are restrictive clauses on the lifetime warranty

How I got the warranty info:
For most companies, I actually have a copy of the actual warranty document. For some, I do not have a copy (like IOR), but I described what retailers described as the warranty. If you have a recent copy of the document, and I am wrong about the data, simply post the data and I will correct it.

This is NOT evaluating service or quality but warranty:
This is focused on warranty, and SLIGHTLY corrected (by up to 1 star down ONLY) for significant service issues when servicing the warranty.

I am simply sharing my data, as a service to the community. If this is going to turn into an ugly thread, I'll simply delete the content. I am not looking for a contest - just sharing what took me a lot of time to research for my own use... I know it is very valuable to me, I am assuming others would like the information.

Link of interest: Eagle Optics warranty summaries across the industry primarily for binos/ spotting scopes. Their info is slightly outdated.

(1. edited for specific warranty information)
(2. added rating explanation)
(3. corrected USO rating)

(4. edited paragraph titles)
(5. updated Zeiss, Swarovski, Bushnell, USO entries)
(6. clarified further purpose of the spreadsheet)
(7. added S&B, Hensoldt, slightly updated 3* criterion)
(8. added Meopta)
(9. added Minox)
(11. added Falcon)

Edited by WestOfPecos - October/26/2010 at 23:38
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 15:49
Originally posted by WestOfPecos WestOfPecos wrote:

1-star warranties and support
  • USO: lifetime, not transferable, does not cover dust in lenses. Warranty service requires original packaging and original receipt. Easy to reach support, fast turnaround (in the past 3 years). Some mentions of refusal to exchange irreparable scopes.

Where did you get this information? 

I personally have owned a brand new, USO SN-3 that had debris inside the lens when I received it through a group buy on Snipers Hide. I sent it back to USO and the situation was resolved immediately, with no questions asked.
JW3 answered the phone when I called about it.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 15:55
IOR gets a 4 star and USO a 1?? Laugh
Boy, I could run with this one, but I won't.  For now.....Big Grin

I think you'll find peoples CS experience with the various optics makers is going to be VERY, VERY subjective, to say the least.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 16:04
Great concept but I agree with Mark...very subjective indeed. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 16:06
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

1-star warranties and support
  • USO: lifetime, not transferable, does not cover dust in lenses. Warranty service requires original packaging and original receipt. Easy to reach support, fast turnaround (in the past 3 years). Some mentions of refusal to exchange irreparable scopes.

Where did you get this information? 

I personally have owned a brand new, USO SN-3 that had debris inside the lens when I received it through a group buy on Snipers Hide. I sent it back to USO and the situation was resolved immediately, with no questions asked.
JW3 answered the phone when I called about it.  

Hi Cheap trick -

I did not mean to get your temper up. This is where the info comes from:

- their warranty docs say exactly what is listed above. I quote:

"When this Custom Made Scope is presented to U.S. Optics, at its factory or Authorized Service Centers, by the original retail purchaser, in original packaging with the original purchase receipt. U.S. Optics will at its option repair product, replace components of product, or replace product with like product, available at the time of service. U.S. Optics will provide warranty service free of charge only if product is found to be defective in material or workmanship, if it has been purchased
directly from U.S. Optics, or, in some cases, our authorized dealers. This limited warranty does not include scratching of lenses**; dust on the glass reticle (see U.S.O. Catalog section "fogproofing and dustproofing") etc.."

- they have had great service for the past 3-4 years, as per online reports (before it was terrible). But I have also read about times when they did not replace a scope that they had not been able to repair. It is remotely possible that all the stories referred to the same incident. But there is one such incident reported on Opticstalk, about 2-3 years ago.

I don't have an agenda. If my facts are wrong - please correct me. I don't really care who rates first or second - I am only sharing my data.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 16:10
This isn't going to be a pretty thead......... I can already tell.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 16:11
Get Your Popcorn Ready
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 16:19
Oh, I'm not mad at all. Carry on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 16:21

But there is one such incident reported on Opticstalk, about 2-3 years ago.

Are you referring to Mike McDonalds USO experience? 
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 16:25
Sorry - it took me a while to find it again. Yes, Mike McD. Similar stories have shown up on other forums in the past few years - but it could have been Mike under a different handle there, or other people talking abt it.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 16:32
I just added a couple of paragraphs in the original post to explain how I rated warranties.

I am glad to share what I found, but,  if it creates too much turmoil, as I am not looking for grief or disagreements, I'll delete out the content of the original post.

My goal for the spreadhseet I created was to be able to quickly compare, at a glance, how manufacturers' warranties compare, and if some corrections are needed due to practices that cheapen the warranty. It helps me compare offerings. I have no brand loyalty to uphold. I have no agenda. I am simply gathering facts and putting them together. All the ratings come directly from the warranty language, except for a possible 1-star downgrade for service practices that lower the value of the warranty in my eyes.

Edited by WestOfPecos - September/29/2010 at 18:15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 16:36

Sorry - it took me a while to find it again. Yes, Mike McD. Similar stories have shown up on other forums in the past few years - but it could have been Mike under a different handle there, or other people talking abt it.

Yeah, Mr. Mike had a less than optimal experience with USO, as I recall. My experience was terrific, others have had negative things to say about USO.

Some have had a stellar experience with IOR and I was so mad at "Val" I wanted to drive to Colorado and beat him with the scope I bought. Hence my smart ass comment earlier.  Wink   

I JUST had a slightly negative experience with a well known weapons accessories manufacturer, who shall remain nameless, but others have raved about them. Good days, bad days. Chocolate, vanilla. You know what I mean.   

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 18:09
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Yeah, Mr. Mike had a less than optimal experience with USO, as I recall. My experience was terrific, others have had negative things to say about USO.

Some have had a stellar experience with IOR and I was so mad at "Val" I wanted to drive to Colorado and beat him with the scope I bought. Hence my smart ass comment earlier.  Wink   

I JUST had a slightly negative experience with a well known weapons accessories manufacturer, who shall remain nameless, but others have raved about them. Good days, bad days. Chocolate, vanilla. You know what I mean.   

OK my turn to OOps - I mislabeled USO with the wrong label. Per the criteria, it should have been 3* less 1* downgrade for warranty limitations, in the same way as IOR was 5* less 1* downgrade for slow repairs... I am amending the form to show USO at 2*... Sorry:-)
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 18:29
I don't see how Zeiss can have quick turn arounds when they too have to send the scope back to Europe.  In one instance for me I was quoted 6-weeks, minimum.

It's a shame Swarovski is the way they are non-transferable warranty (unless its thru an authorized dealer).  Wonder why (gray market, keeping their distributors happy, who knows...)?

Jim
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 18:44
Originally posted by tjtjwdad tjtjwdad wrote:

I don't see how Zeiss can have quick turn arounds when they too have to send the scope back to Europe.  In one instance for me I was quoted 6-weeks, minimum.

It's a shame Swarovski is the way they are non-transferable warranty (unless its thru an authorized dealer).  Wonder why (gray market, keeping their distributors happy, who knows...)?

Jim

Zeiss: I could be wrong. I read somewhere that they are now doing their warranty work in the US, and that it dramatically shortened the waiting time. Maybe wrong info? If so Zeiss should be downgraded. Does anybody have recent info on this?

Swarovski: oh so true:( If their warranty was better I would already have pulled the trigger. I was so close to buying a Z6i last week. But, after checking the warranty, I stepped back to think it through a bit longer. This is actually what caused me to put the spreadsheet together.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 21:16
Swaro does not send their scopes back to Austria for repairs for US customers.  They are done in their Cranston, RI facility, and their turnaround is pretty fast.

I've heard multiple troubling stories about Nikon's CS.  In contrast, Swaro has a proven track record of treating their customers very well and taking care of any problems quickly and without questions or conditions, regardless of what their warranty says.

A buddy of mine would strongly disagree with Bushnell being placed so high.  He ended up sending the same trail cam back 3 times because it wouldn't work -- after they supposedly "repaired" it.  They made him pay for shipping both ways -- for repairing their brand new, defective product.  Bushnell doesn't actually manufacture anything; they outsource all manufacturing and put their name on the product.  In my opinion, based on no shortage of evidence, I believe Bushnell has become so large and diverse that providing good customer service has crept lower on their priority list.

Many of the Euro optics have a shorter warranty period because of the European laws limiting warranty periods.

Warranties are only as good as the companies backing them.  If a company doesn't have a strong customer service philosophy to begin with, the warranty terms don't mean a whole lot.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 21:18
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Swaro does not send their scopes back to Austria for repairs for US customers.  They are done in their Cranston, RI facility, and their turnaround is pretty fast.

I've heard multiple troubling stories about Nikon's CS.  In contrast, Swaro has a proven track record of treating their customers very well and taking care of any problems quickly and without questions or conditions, regardless of what their warranty says.

A buddy of mine would strongly disagree with Bushnell being placed so high.  He ended up sending the same trail cam back 3 times because it wouldn't work -- after they supposedly "repaired" it.  They made him pay for shipping both ways -- for repairing their brand new, defective product.  Bushnell doesn't actually manufacture anything; they outsource all manufacturing and put their name on the product.  In my opinion, based on no shortage of evidence, I believe Bushnell has become so large and diverse that providing good customer service has crept lower on their priority list.

Many of the Euro optics have a shorter warranty period because of the European laws limiting warranty periods.

Warranties are only as good as the companies backing them.  If a company doesn't have a strong customer service philosophy to begin with, the warranty terms don't mean a whole lot.

Excellent
here's the pitch, swing and its a deep drive to straight center field, and its gone!!!! a grand slam home run.

They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 21:45
What are you defining as a quick turnaround, and what percentage of customers have to fall in the category to be considered quick?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 00:34
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

I had already read a lot of mixed feedback on Bushnell - so, Ted, based on the assumption that you feel there is "no shortage of evidence", I am downgrading Bushnell (-1 star).

Swarovski: I agree with you on excellent CS from them. I will add a positive comment. I will also remove the slow turnaround comment, snce they are now processing warranty returns in the US.

Euro optics: their US operations are not subject to European law - it is their choice only. Btw, these laws show how much industry influences consumer legislation, in a really bad way, in many countries.

I agree with you abt the fact that the practice of warranty service must be good too. But I do not agree that the warranty content does not matter. It creates a legal obligation. Both warranty doc and practice need to be good:-) Having seen it from the inside, I can guarantee that a good warranty pushes a CS group hard in a good direction every day. The matrix is:
- Great CS group/ practices + Great warranty = superlative support
- Great CS group/ practices + Poor warranty = good support today (maybe not tomorrow)
- Poor CS Group/practices + Great warranty = decent to good support eventually
- Poor CS Group/ practices + Poor warranty = definitely don't buy

Edited by WestOfPecos - September/30/2010 at 00:56
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 00:45
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

What are you defining as a quick turnaround, and what percentage of customers have to fall in the category to be considered quick?

Helo: I call quick turnaround 10 days to 4 weeks, depending upon gravity of problem. Imho, for service to be called quick, you have to have the very large majority of support cases resolved quickly as defined above.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic