OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pentax XW 10 on Celestron Regal 80

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pentax XW 10 on Celestron Regal 80
    Posted: September/29/2010 at 13:05
Has anyone tried the Pentax XW 10 eyepiece on a Celestron Regal 80F-ED?

Should be outstanding, but if anyone actually has this setup or has looked through it, I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks 
flatcooky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatcooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 19:44
 No, but the 10x XW eyepiece is fantastic on the PF-80A. The angled spotter has a focal length of 518 (ish)mm... excecuting a 52x scope, wide 70deg. field of view.
What is the focal length of the Celestron? The outcome of your exit pupil will determine the overall light gathering, but sounds like an interesting fit!
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 21:07
focal length of the Celestron Regal 80F-ED is 480mm, which gives 48x magnification with the Pentax XW 10 eyepiece.  I bought the XW 10 and find eye placement is critical and exit pupil barely acceptable at 1.67.  As I said a couple of threads up, wish I'd bought the XW 14 now, but who knew.

I think this XW 10 will work out in the long run, but sure is finicky on eye placement, and eye relief to some degree.
flatcooky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatcooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 21:29
 I don't have that problem with the Pentax spotter. Eye placement is very forgiving, though I do dial up the eye relief nearly all the way.
 Concerning the exit pupil, it does get a bit dim near dusk, but in mid-day light its fantastic.
I'm sure you could trade or sell it and get the 14mm over at Birdforum, or, if you bought it through a good vendor, ask to see if you could do a swap.
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 21:49
How do you dial up eye relief on the XW 10?  There is a screw-on rubber ring on the eyepiece end of it, but it does not appear to be a diopter or eye relief changing thing.  I tried unscrewing it a few turns, but didn't see any change.

Do you know of a true rubber eye cup that will block out side light and allow you to hold steadier that is made for the XW series of eyepieces?

I'm right on the line about keeping this 10 or exchanging it for a 14.  I'd like to keep the 10, but need to get acclimated to it being so finicky.
flatcooky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatcooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 23:01
 Yes, dialing up/out the ocular housing will give you a better eye relief if you don't wear glasses. I dial it down for my brother when he's viewing though it, he wears glasses, because the added distance from the rubber to his eyes lengthens his relief even more. I usually keep it dialed nearly all the way out, it proves for me to be a more steady, less placement critical view. Play with it more next chance you get; I usually just rest my brow on the top curve of the housing and I see no blackouts, even when shifting my eye from extreme left to right or top to bottom.
 Hope that all made sense..Whacko

I don't know of any winged cups that are available for the fixed XW. I don't believe there is a diopter per se that will focus for your vision, just the main housing focus wheel.

Play with the twist out ocular setting and see if you can find a perfect spot for you. I tend to think that a few turns in from near all the way out is best for me. I have 20/20 vision, so not sure how this is going to affect you.

Does your Celestron have a locking mechanism for the the 1.25" barrel that inserts into the body? Also make sure that your eyepiece is seated where it should be, and hopefully secured by some means.

I'd like to hear your results when you've done some adjustments. Good luck!
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 23:43
Yes, Celestron Regal 80 has a locking ring to secure an eyepiece barrel.

The Pentax XW 10 barrel is about 1/2" longer than the original equipment Celestron zoom barrel and sticks out that much from fully seating, but I have been told that that does not affect eye placement, relief, focus, etc.  Don't want to try pushing it in any farther than it wants to go, might hear the sound of tinkling glass and fade to black.

I'm going to give it another shot early tomorrow morning when cooler and hopefully no mirage.  I was testing it this afternoon (sunny, windy and warm) at 500-600 yards and the haze/mirage was horrendous.

My eyesight is once again 20-20 since cataract and astigmatism surgery last spring.  Diopter change or focus is not a problem for me.  I'll try turning out the ocular ring tomorrow to see if it helps eye relief.  When I tried it before, I had just unpacked the XW 10 and that was my very first look at it.  Everyting was new.

I appreciate your comments.  I've got a lot of testing to do with the Pentax before I'm ready for the field or range.
flatcooky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatcooky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 00:39
 Sorry I didn't see your other thread, would have been happy to start there.
 I did read the other thread and I will agree that there is little resolution benefits from the fixed (higher power) eyepieces. I believe its because the SMC zoom (for the Pentax anyway) is just that good. I've read some comments that people don't care for the zoom, but I will disagree. The huge advantage as you know is the field of view.
 I can honestly say that, weather conditions permitting, I can spot 6mm holes at 550yrds. It does take a contrasting background and near perfect conditions, but the resolution of either the 10mm or the zoom have superb clarity.
Hopefully the screwing out of the ocular housing will help your situation with the eyeplacement.
 I am also informed that the longer you stretch the magnification the ability to resolve will incrementally follow suit in terms of quality degradation. But it would seem that 48x would be easily handled with an 80mm objective.
 Maybe the 14mm would be the best fit for you. If you have a good retailer who will exchange it at little or no cost, that would be ideal. Considering a little time spent with it proves no benefit.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic