OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best low light scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best low light scope
    Posted: November/13/2005 at 12:14

Which scope out there is the best low light scope available.

I have had whitetails walk out on me that I could clearly see with my pentax sp's but when I put the conquest on them I could not resolve enough detail to make an ethical shot.

digi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2005 at 12:24
oh yeah, I guess it should be fixed power since these apparently are better in low light.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2005 at 14:29
Do a search for exit pupil
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2005 at 15:19

Fixed is no better than variable.  I find the Conquest to among the very brightest scopes in low light conditions as long as you have it set on the proper magnification.  Don't expect top performance in low-light conditions if you have your magnification set on the highest power.  You need to set your scopes magnification to allow you to have an exit pupil that maximizes your eyesight.  This probably means an exit pupil of around six or so (age and eyesight dependent).  The Conquest is more than capable of keeping up with your SPs.  You just have to do your part and set it up for the task at hand.  

ranburr 

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2005 at 17:14
Hey ranburr, I thought a fixed power should be brighter than a variable if the quality of the lens and their coatings are equal due to the fact that a fixed scope has less internal lens than a variable. The difference should be small, but, it should be present.
ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2005 at 18:15

Roy, you may be correct, at least theoretically.  Personally, my eyes can't tell a variable from a fixed and that appears to be the case for others that I have asked.

ranburr

digi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2005 at 20:47

Thanks for your input ranburr, it is simple enough to see that the 10x mag is not as good as the lower mag as I am sitting in my stand actually trying to see the deer and playing with scope. And from this persons perspective the conquest deos not come close to keeping up with the sp's. That is just real world experience talking now, I could see that the deer were a doe and a fawn but with the scope I could just make out their presence. I don't know anything about optics, so I can't begin to explain why this is but it just is.

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2005 at 21:24

I really don't know what to suggest for you.  The Conquest is among the brightest scopes made.  I have always been able to still see with one well past legal shooting hours.  Are you having problems with just one particular scope?  If so, maybe you have lemon.  There are brighter scopes made, but get ready to start spending in the $1,000 range. 

ranburr

Acenturian View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Acenturian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2005 at 00:16

Night Vision

Wow that is strange, maybe there is something wrong with the scope.  I took my Conquest out to an orchard well, well past shooting hours and it really pulled the light in, I could see out under trees that was completely dark to the naked eye and still pick things out like a jackrabbit at about 110 yards.

I'd say there is most likely brighter scopes out there  like the Zeiss VM series or Swarovski Professional hunters but those are very expensive.

If You're In A Fair Fight, You Didn't Plan It Properly

- Anonymous

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2005 at 01:19
The very first question to ask here is what do you do with your other eye that is not peering through the scope?  If you close it, then consider getting a black eye patch and keep it open when you are looking through the scope with your right eye.  When you close one eye, visual acuity in your other eye drops by as much as 20%.

Also, which Conquest model do you have?  10x is not an optimal magnification for low light viewing most likely. What is the objective bell size?

There are not a lot of scopes out there that are better in low light and none for the same money.

Ilya
digi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2005 at 09:31

Thanks for the replies everyone

The scope is a 3.5 x 10 x 44

I am not looking to exchange the scope on this rifle for another. This scope is wonderful in low light. I can still see with it when the naked eye can see nothing. I am looking to upgrade a loopy on another rifle and I just want to max out the stand time. We can hunt well past dusk here legally and the deer have severe pressure on them with the dog hunting so staying on stand those extra 10 minutes can mean pay dirt.

I have been wondering if the fact that I am using both eyes with the binos is what makes the difference. As I wrote, I can see the deer with the scope so enough light is getting through, I just can't resolve the fine detail as with the binos. I will try keeping both eyes open and the patch tonight and see how it works.

Thanks again

J

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2005 at 12:31

And while you are at it, keep the scope at 7x magnification or so.

As for using both eyes, it makes a lot of difference since you brain gets twice more information that it can interpret.

Ilya

tbone1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbone1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2005 at 14:33
Digi, I also have a Conquest 3.5-10x44.  As far as brightness goes, it is hard to beat for under $1000.  However I do own several scopes that are brighter but I have paid alot more for them.  Swarovski PH, Schmidt & Bender, and Zeiss VM/V are all brighter scopes than the Conquest and I have tested all three in low light against my Conquest.  I created the "tbone" rating scale to try to give people a realistic idea about how much brighter these scopes are.  If you refer to my orginal scale and understand how I defined a point increases, it might help you.  I will say that I also use Leica binos and usually the binos seem brighter than any of my scopes probably because of using both eyes, I guess.  The brightest scope that I own is my Zeiss VM/V 3-12x56 followed closely by my S&B 3-12x42 and Swarovskis.  They all will allow you to take a shot later than you can with your Conquest but they are all very expensive.  Let me know if can help you further.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2005 at 15:58
Koshkin, let me get this straight, are you telling a hunter to use a black patch over one eye while hunting? In theory, you are correct with regards to focusing, but I've yet to come accross a hunter weaing a patch over the eye. My experience with top quality bino's is that they have always been brighter and provide more detail than a top quality riflescope. If I am wrong, I'm all ears.

Edited by Roy Finn
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/14/2005 at 17:37

Roy, you are not wrong at all.  There is a lot to be said about using both eyes.  However, if you want to see with maximum acuity out of one eye, the other eye has to be open as well.  It does make a difference.  Although you may end up looking like a pirate for a minute.

Ilya

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic