OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for 18.5" mountain rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripletwoee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for 18.5" mountain rifle
    Posted: September/28/2010 at 21:41
Hi everyone
I was just surfing around and stumbled on this great website.

I am looking to buy a NF 2-10 x 24 scope to sit on the above rifle which is a sako forester L579 stocked in a Mcmillan edge.
The one thing that holds me back is the weight at 17ozs. it would be the heaviest scope I own [mountain wise].I have at present a Leupold 1- 4 at 9.something inches long and it looks the part. I would like more magnification but not at the expense of a longer tube.
I have not found much feedback on this scope and would appreciate hearing any experiences any members might have had.
Realise they are not making these babies anymore
steve
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 22:38

I don't have any direct experience, but, I have read that others, who like NF, don't like that one.

America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 00:20
The Sako/ McMillan combo should make for a solid mountain rifle - you should post pics!

I don't have experience on the NX. But I have a lot of mountain rifles (my favorite type), too many says my wife:-) If it was me, 17 oz on a mountain rifle is a lot. I do have a few suggestions on scopes that I would put on a rifle like that:

- Kahles CL Adj Obj. 2-7x36, 12 oz, 11"
- Leupold VXII Ultralight Adj Obj. 3-9x33 EFR, 11 oz, 11.3"
- Vortex Viper 2-7x32, 14 oz, 11.3"
- Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36, 11.5 oz, 11.75"

I have all of these. A couple  I don't have, but think could work:
- Sightron SII 2.5-10x32, 11.6 oz, 10.9"
- Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40, 12.6 oz, 12.6"

Of course, if you need very long range or very early/late, then you would need to pay the price in extra oz.

Edited by WestOfPecos - September/29/2010 at 14:00
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 10:01
Depends on what your looking for in the scope. If you want a scope that will work after sliding down a rock slide area, the NF is the one. The most noticable thing I have seen, and I've used one a lot, is dimming of the image past about 8x even in daylight. Due of couse to the smaller exit pupil at the higher power. On the counter side of that is an outstanding illum. reticle that works in daylight, and for my use is more important--and when used with the np-r2 reticle is not noticable unless looking for it. The npr2 in the compact has a different sight picture than the npr2 in the larger nx (have one in a NF 3.5x15 also) covering about 1/3 (much smaller) of the sight picture and floats in the middle. The turrets come in uncovered and covered for hunters, but you don't have to worry about the uncovered being turned in brush or saddle scabbard. 
The smaller nf is still being made for special interest groups. Another good scope would be the Leupold mk4 1.5 x6, and other companies are releasing 1 x8s and similar ranges in the near future, however their dimensions may not be what you want.  Here is a leo and the nx on the same gun to show the relative size differences.   
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 10:03
they are making an edge for an L579?
uh oh...

I am about to reclaim my 1959 L579 243 from my son and building him a Browning Xbolt  Micro Hunter in 308 and working up reduced loads

Man, a Khales 2-7 4a reticle would be killer

For the Browning I have a Burris FF2 #4 2-7 coming
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 10:37
Depends what you want to do with it. And perhaps what you're using to carry the rifle. I have the NF 2.5-10x32. The larger objective makes it more usable in low light. It's two oz. heavier. But then it's a rugged, compact scope that can get you out a long ways. I recently sent it back to NF to have the turrets converted to mils and to add zero-stop/windage limiter. I would not buy one without that feature because the compact NXS turrets give you no indication of how many turns you've made.

Now if you're never going to take a shot over 300 yards, then stick with a smaller lighter scope like the 2-7 that WestofPecos recommended. But if you want a scope with target turrets and a matching reticle, then the 2.5-10x32 is well worth considering.

I carry my rifle on a Kifaru backpack and use their gun bearer. If I have it in my arms, a good part of the rifle's weight rests on the hip pad of the pack. These two styles of carry have made it so I don't feel it necessary to have a sling on the rifle anymore. The weight is a consideration, but with a good pack it's far less noticeable.
Reaction time is a factor...
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 11:29
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I carry my rifle on a Kifaru backpack and use their gun bearer. If I have it in my arms, a good part of the rifle's weight rests on the hip pad of the pack. These two styles of carry have made it so I don't feel it necessary to have a sling on the rifle anymore.

Nice tip - thanks!

Re engagement at range - I have never used the Vortex 2-7 beyond 200 yards (I have not had it that long), but I have used my Leupold VXII 3-9x33 with LRD reticle (long range duplex, a few extra dots) on a 500 yard course with good success. I have the Vortex with a V-Plex reticle (thicker stadia, a few dots for dead holding) and I am sure that you would have no trouble at 500 yards either.

Clearly, however, if the rifle is going to see mostly long range use above 500 yards, these would not be the options I would go to first. I can't help thinking it is a bit of a pity to take a light, lithe mountain rifle, and add a 19 oz scope on it (thinking of the NF 2.5-10x32, which seems more appropriate for the job than the 24mmm as the exit pupil for the 24mm is very small at larger mag). But, of course, the mission dictates the tool, and, while I don't own it, I have no doubt that the NF is a darn good tool.

Edited by WestOfPecos - September/29/2010 at 13:51
tripletwoee View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripletwoee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 15:03
Hey guys thanks for all the input and I agree 17ozs is a heavy "extra" for a mountain rifle. I am stuck mentally with the length of no more than 10".[my hangup]
The day will come...probably too late when someone will bring out a scope of 9.5" weighing around nine ounces and have at least an 8x top end. The NF 2-10 x 32 offers me absolutely nothing!Too heavy too long and not interested in any twilight performance...by the time twilight comes around in the mountains I am tucked up in my sleeping bag planning my next day!
It's great to have places like these that you can sound out expensive equipment before you trash your bank balance.
collectively you have steered me back to the Leupy VX3 1-5x or the Mrk 4 1-5x.I would be interested to hear of anyone with any experience with any of these two. If I could get my stubborn head around the 11 ins length I would go for the Leupy Vari x3 2-8 ..end of story   
steve
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripletwoee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 15:07
The Sako/ McMillan combo should make for a solid mountain rifle - you should post pics

I will try and get it on here by the weekend....I am a bit challenged with photos and internets    
steve
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 16:49
if you didn't have the 10" spec requirement I would say the 1.75-6x32

this meets your criteria:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/scopes/ultralight-riflescopes/vx-ii-2-7x28mm-ultralight/

Edited by ccoker - September/29/2010 at 16:50
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 21:08
Originally posted by tripletwoee tripletwoee wrote:

collectively you have steered me back to the Leupy VX3 1-5x or the Mrk 4 1-5x.I would be interested to hear of anyone with any experience with any of these two. If I could get my stubborn head around the 11 ins length I would go for the Leupy Vari x3 2-8 ..end of story   

Wish I could help you there... I have experience with neither. But I do have the VX3 2.5-8x36, and it is a very, very nice scope. The glass is good, but there is better. However, it's the combination of weight, size, usability, mechanicals et al. that somehow strikes a wonderful balance. I figure the VX3 1-5 also must have that synergistic combination of attributes. I am sure there are others here who can talk abt the Mark 4.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripletwoee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 23:20
Wish I could help you there... I have experience with neither. But I do have the VX3 2.5-8x36, and it is a very, very nice scope. The glass is good, but there is better. However, it's the combination of weight, size, usability, mechanicals et al. that somehow strikes a wonderful balance. I figure the VX3 1-5 also must have that synergistic combination of attributes. I am sure there are others here who can talk abt the Mark 4.

That's what I go for exactly. Although the 1-5 doesn't do it for me re.power at the upper end, I will forego power in favour of balance and portability/looks.
If the NF had had good feedback then I was willing to see if I could shed more wt. off my rig to accomodate the hefty beast...but I was worried by balance anyway!
steve
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 09:58
Might look at the Vortex Diamondback 1.75x5x32. 

Vortex Diamondback Rifle Scopes

Vortex 1.75-5x32 Diamondback Rifle Scope
Stock # - DBKM08P
  • Matte
  • V-Plex
  • 1"
Specifications
Weight (oz): 12.8

V-Plex

Length (in): 10.1
Eye Relief (in): 3.7 - 3.5
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 68.3 - 23.1
Exit Pupil (mm): --
MOA: 1/4
Lens Coating: Fully Multi-Coated
Warranty: Unlimited Transferable Warranty

Edited by magshooter1 - September/30/2010 at 09:59
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 11:22
No disrespect to Vortex, but are we actually considering a scope based on weight and length alone?

The NF 2.5-10x24 is now a mostly military contract optic (they made them for a few years for the civilian market, but I believe they have discontinued offering them and now have just the 2.5-10x32 flavor.

It is a great scope, glass is more than usable, it is rugged as hell and packed with great features.  As price would indicate, the Vortex is not in the same class.

If you wish to shave a few ounces and keep it smaller, look at the Z3 line of Swaro, glass is exceptional, and they only miss the weight and length by a very small margin.  My mountain gun wears a 3-10 Swaro AH and I couldn't be happier 9without spending $2k or more.)
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 12:59
Not as good glass as the Swasrovski option, but 1/3 the price, and right under 10"/ 10 oz limits (I have the 33mm version, and I really like its handiness):

Leupold 2-7x28 VX-II Ultralight Riflescope

Leupold 2-7x28 VX-II Ultralight Riflescope
Stock # - LEU63075
  • Gloss
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
Specifications
Weight (oz): 9.9

<
>Long Range Duplex

Length (in):9.9
Eye Relief (in):3.8 - 3
Field of View @ 100 yards (ft):41.7 - 16.5
MOA:1/4
Finish:Gloss
Ring Spacing
Max Mount Ring Spacing (in):4.75
Front Ring Space (in):1.47
Rear Ring Space (in):2.15
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tripletwoee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 14:12
"The NF 2.5-10x24 is now a mostly military contract optic (they made them for a few years for the civilian market, but I believe they have discontinued offering them and now have just the 2.5-10x32 flavor"

There are a few around though nevertheless. Just nobody is convincing me of their merits! L.O.L.
Will check out the Swaro's though.

"Leupold 2-7x28 VX-II Ultralight Riflescope" is like looking through a straw, just no field of view...pity, got everything else.
Just not the technology to please me it seems
steve
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 09:06
If a 19 oz. scope is too heavy, maybe you need to rethink the whole thing and go with something like this (just kidding, but I couldn't resist):

Reaction time is a factor...
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 09:36
Jono that was really funny:-)

Just as a side - I also don't like to put heavy scopes on my light rifles...
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 09:39
Shouldn't take my comment on decreased light too weighted. You are comparing a scope, the NF, that is in several leagues above the above mentioned ones, then averaging the comments based on that.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 10:01
Some guys just need to stay with express sights.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic