OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New rifle needs a scope base

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rifle needs a scope base
    Posted: September/28/2010 at 20:11
Gang, today I bought a Remington 700 5R rifle and would like to outfit it with my 3x9 SS. Would the scopemount depicted work on this rifle or would it put the scope too high? If I can use it what base would you recommend? 

gcp
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 20:42
I think that mount will be to high without some kind of cheek rest. A good quality pair of low rings are what I would suggest. 
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 23:03
I agree with Billy,I put a Karsten cheeck weld on my 5r milspec,it helped alot with my SS10xHD.You can do a search on the sniper hide,they gave it a really good review about 2yrs ago.

Just a tip,glass bed & recrown the barrel.Good luck with it,it's about as good as you will ever get straight out of the box!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 23:18
The mount you show is for an AR-15 and is an ultra high type mount so it is absolutely the wrong mount for an R5 mil spec.  I ran Badger Ordanance on mine but TPS is quite good and if you are trying to save money use the Talley lighweight ringmount and that will work for you but do not use the one you have for this type rifle.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 23:21
Medium High Badgers & plus 30 moa rail shown. Note you do not need this high of ring for this scope but I tend to switch scopes and didnt want to buy another set of rings if I went to a larger objective later on.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 06:05
That's why I was thinking of using this scope mount, it would also make it interchangeable with my 3 AR-15s, use it wherever I need it, so to speak, since the mount allows the scope to be dead on on whatever platform it's installed. Thank you for your inputs!
gcp
Chris Farris View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin
swfa.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 12:06
I would not even use the mount you show on an AR.  The rings are way too close together and it only has one crossbolt.  You need two crossbolts spaced apart and you need your rings to be spaced as far apart as the application will allow (see Urimaginary's set up).

I would also forget about trying to bounce it back and forth from an AR platform and a bolt action platform because the scope height is dramatically different for each due to the stock design on each.

The only way it would work is if you used a one piece Picatinny mount on your 5R (so that the spacing of the rings will be uniform with your Picatinny mount on your AR) and medium height rings (Quick Release or Standard)....then have a riser on your AR and you could bounce the scope around with ease.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 12:21
Sharing the same scope between an AR platform and a boltgun is quite difficult.

It is doable if you put a riser onto your AR, and then use medium rings on top of that, but that is more trouble than it is worth, and you would have to re-zero the set-up all the time.

As far as actual recommendations go, I like Weaver/Picatinny rings and mounts, so that would be a good way to go.

While Badgers that Wes recommended are very good, they are also very expensive.

I would suggest you try bases and rings by either TPS or Warne.  I have had good luck with both.  Set the scope up on your boltgun and keep it there.

ILya
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 12:35

Thank you very much for all your valuable comments, you gave me much to think on!

I also have to decide which scope I should use on the 5R, my old 16x SS or my new 3x9 SS. My instinct tells me "go with the 16X".

Edited by gcp - September/29/2010 at 12:38
gcp
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 12:40
Another thing is you have a very nice and very capable gun with the 5R.  I would make sure to squeeze every ounce of accuracy out of it and swaping scopes doesn't seem to be the best ideal.  But thats only my opinon
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 12:42
GCP, you've not told us what you are going to do with the rifle... makes a lot of difference in the choice between those two scopes. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 18:07
SVt, you are right, it seems I ought to leave well enough alone.

kickboxer, paperpunching mainly...but if a deer happens to walk between me and the target, oh well Excellent  All kidding aside, my range at the property is only 140 yards long so I guess I'll be trying to put a bullet inside a bullet whole, and again, and again, so the 16X ought to serve the 5R best while the 3x9 would probably serve me better on an AR.

Edited by gcp - September/29/2010 at 18:17
gcp
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 20:12
Why a 16x? Why not a fixed 4x? for the distance you will be shooting I would think a low power fixed scope would be great or even a Viper 2-7,can't go wrong with the insain sale price at SWFA!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 20:38
Because I will then have to buy more rifles to install the SS products onto. NOOOOOOO MOREEEEE
PURCHASES PLEASEEEEEE!!!

Truth is I expect that now and then I'll be shooting it at 500-1K yards, if I ever help my friend to clear bruch so we can build him his own rifle range. Sounds like a winter project in the making.
gcp
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 06:36
Originally posted by gcp gcp wrote:

SVt, you are right, it seems I ought to leave well enough alone.

kickboxer, paperpunching mainly...but if a deer happens to walk between me and the target, oh well Excellent  All kidding aside, my range at the property is only 140 yards long so I guess I'll be trying to put a bullet inside a bullet whole, and again, and again, so the 16X ought to serve the 5R best while the 3x9 would probably serve me better on an AR.

You only "kind of answered" so I'll "kind of" reply...
If your hunting range is ever under 100 yards, you don't want to be using the 16x, the 3-9 will serve you far better.  Your FOV at 100 yards is under 7 feet with the 16x.  Could be very difficult to find a deer with that, especially if it is not standing still.  Paper punching, use the 16x all the time, if you want.  When you hunt, you should use the 3-9. 

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 06:58
kickboxer, I was being humorous about a deer walking in between me and the paper targets I'll be shooting. Think about it, what's the chance of that happening?

This 5R will not be a hunter, unless I go out west, and even then I'd probably take my trusty ol' PH 7 Rem Mag.
gcp
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 07:14

I've had a deer stand not 15yds away from my bench after shooting 300+rounds.  I had just changed targets, sat back down and looked to my left and there she was.  Its not impossible. 

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 08:09
Originally posted by gcp gcp wrote:

kickboxer, I was being humorous about a deer walking in between me and the paper targets I'll be shooting. Think about it, what's the chance of that happening?

This 5R will not be a hunter, unless I go out west, and even then I'd probably take my trusty ol' PH 7 Rem Mag.

As SVT said, "it COULD happen".... However, that was not what I was talking about.  You were a bit unclear on the use.  But, there is no reason to not use the 5R for hunting, if you put the right scope on it.  I use every rifle I have for hunting... at some time or other. 
Just an aside, I was out shooting at 100 yard targets in my backyard one day and a fox walked up, sat down and watched me for a while.  He was so brazen I decided he deserved to live... He watched for a while and just walked off into the woods.  Of course, there is a bit of a side story here... my twins and youngest were watching, as well.  They immediately "named" him (the FEMALE rule around the house is I can't shoot anything they have named).  There sure are a lot of animals named "Bob" running around in Alabama...

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 08:13

I'm sure when they aren't around "bob's" are fair game huh?Wink

gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 06:50
I've had the same thing happen with turkey. 2 showed up, in between reloading my 22LR, as I was target practicing. Animals do some pretty interesting things at times.
kick, the 5R is out for delivery, so I should be able to pick it up from Larry's, today sometime (I am sure your favorite store as it is mine Big Smile). Look forward to outfitting it porperly for the weekend.
On another subject, lets talk breaking it in properly. I know that just about everyone has their own subjective ideas on this but what the hey.
gcp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic