OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 Dielctric

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windmill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 Dielctric
    Posted: September/28/2010 at 09:07
The Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 Dielctric is the new version of the proven Monarch ATB.

How do these compare to the competition and  to the older non dielectric model? 

Has anyone tried both to do a direct comparation?

I see that they have quite a small FOV but have a good eye relief and weigh only 21,9oz  that isn't bad for a 42mm optic. 

royy2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 21:25
I too have the exact same question.  There's like a $40.00 difference between the old Monarch and the new fancy one.  Can the average person tell any difference? 
castlebravo View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote castlebravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 16:04
I just bought some Monarch ATBs 8x42 (the new ones) and a pair of DEMO-A Zen-Ray ZRS HD 8x42s.  The Monarchs cost me $300 when it was all said and done (taxes), while the Zen-Rays cost me $185. 

Not accounting for price, the Zen-Rays are the better binocular, especially wrt clarity.  Including price, they are much better.
royy2 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote royy2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 18:28
I bought the new model of Monarch ATB 10x40 (brand new) off of E-bay for $260 total. 
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2010 at 19:40
If you are looking at monarchs, dialectric or not, you should be looking at Zen Ray and Vortex binoculars.  As a former Monarch owner, I can assure you they are just not competitive in their price range.

Nikon does make some excellent optics that are values in their class, like the Fieldscope 50ED and EDG  binoculars (discounted models like those on the Sample List).  The Monarch is not one of those in-their-class values.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic