OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 375 H&H ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 10:28
Originally posted by cornhuskid cornhuskid wrote:

Tough scope, and one nice thing is the lifetime warranty.  You break it they will fix it for free!  (OK, $10.00 for shipping...) 

Vortex will pay for the shippingWink
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cornhuskid View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 10:32
SVT...  I beleive you've changed your avitar.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 10:38
yeah it had been vandalized
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 10:52
Sorry to hear that!  I liked it.  This looks very Iron manish...  I got to see all four Iron man suits at Oracle last week.  I have pics on the phone I beleive...

Sorry to hi-jack the post!

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 10:57
Start a thread in the almost anything goes section and post them up.
andoerin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andoerin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 11:58
I second the use of the FX-3 6x42. The fixed 6 power scope will have plenty of magnification for ranges within the .375 H&H.

I know this may sound ignorant to "scope junkies" but 6X is really all that is neccessary for hunting. The lower powers do give you a wider field of view, but I shot my buck this past year at seriously 25ft. I could have thrown a spear at him! In the excitement I didn't even mess with my scope and it just happened to be on 6X, so the lower powers aren't really that important even on super close shots. BTW it is a POS scope, of name not to be mentioned here, and the buck was still in good focus.

I have heard great things about the vipers here and elsewhere though. I am going to drop some cash on the 4-12x40 model when I get paid next week. They are so discounted right now that they are practically giving them away! Take a look at the ratings on midway - many of the reviews for the vipers are 5 stars!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 12:15
I like 16 power for over 400 meters.  Next year is Wyoming for Lopes.  Nothing under 700 is our motto this year.

hehehee
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 12:32
I dont think a 16x makes a lot of sense on a .375H&H if you wanted to put that on a 7mm or 300 WM a 16x might make more sense but you are still screwed when the sun gets low in the sky because 6x42 has a 7mm exit eye pupil which is as bright as the human eye can use and  when you go to 16x42 it has a 2.625 mm exit eye pupil so it will look GREY in low light when game animals come out.  That's what makes the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10x56 such a good hunting scope at 10x it still has 5.6mm exit eye pupil and is bright.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 21:20
Originally posted by yukon yukon wrote:

Thanks for the help guys. Im dont know much about vortex, but they also said they tested the ss10x on 50 cal's. I bought one and put it on my Barret 82a1 it Knocked it out of focus after only 60rds. I just dont Know if the vortex will hold up in the long run. Is the leapold VX-1 in a 2-7x33 strong enough to hold up or will I it break under the pressure of a 375

we have a member here who ran his ss10x over with his 1/2 ton chevy pickup and its still in service.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 23:38
Anything mechanical can break and occasionally does.  That having been said, it is uncommon for a 10x42 S.S. to break.  I am sure SWFA will (or have) handle it properly.

On scopes for 375H&H: Vortex Viper 2-7x32 is the best bang for the money right now.

Also, these rifles are often outfitted with straight tube low range variable scopes and they are often a pretty good choice.

Leupold VX3 1.5-5x20 is a common choice as far as 1" scopes go.  I can also recommend SIghtron S2 Big Sky 1.25-5x20.

There are also quite a few nice 30mm tube scopes available, like Burris Euro Diamond 1-4x24.  If you would rather have a touch more magnification, perhaps the 1.5-6x40 Burris Euro Diamond is a good way to go.

ILya
yukon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yukon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 13:48
I think you guys talked me in to a viper. Seems everyone thinks highly of them. Good  price and sounds like a tough scope. My ss10x was shiped back to bushnell for repairs, they handle repairs now. Have not had a chance to test it since returned. I really like the scope and I hope it works. The scope all of sudden became very blury and would not focus.It did keep its o. Some guys said that the push/ pull recoil of my 82a1 is a different type of recoil than produced by a standered bolt action rifle due to its recoiless barrel.I dont know if theres any truth to this or if they are just FOS.  I have heard of very few problums from those that have had them on bolt 50 cal rifles. 
yukon
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 13:52
NO, NO, NO don't get the Viper whatever you do... YOU'LL be SOOOOOORRRRRRRYYYYYY...

Just Kidding...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 14:08
Originally posted by yukon yukon wrote:

I think you guys talked me in to a viper. Seems everyone thinks highly of them. Good  price and sounds like a tough scope. My ss10x was shiped back to bushnell for repairs, they handle repairs now. Have not had a chance to test it since returned. I really like the scope and I hope it works. The scope all of sudden became very blury and would not focus.It did keep its o. Some guys said that the push/ pull recoil of my 82a1 is a different type of recoil than produced by a standered bolt action rifle due to its recoiless barrel.I dont know if theres any truth to this or if they are just FOS.  I have heard of very few problums from those that have had them on bolt 50 cal rifles. 

that may be possible, but more than likely your failure was a fluke. air rifles and muzzle-loaders are harder on scopes than the average joe realizes as well.  a light weight .338lapua hits as hard if not harder than most of the heavy .50's. super sniper failures are few and far between. let us know how it does after the repairsThunbs Up
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2010 at 14:19
Haven't had any problems with my 10xHD on my Light .50 from Anzio Iron Works... it weighs 18 pounds with the scope.  I shot 40 continuous rounds with it one day...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic