OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for 375 H&H ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yukon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for 375 H&H ?
    Posted: September/27/2010 at 22:28
 Recently purchased a remington xcr 2 in 375 H&H and looking for a tough as nails scope. The gun is light and I was told that a lighter scope would hold up better with the recoil. I was thinking of getting a leapold in a 2-7x33 with drop redical. For big game in big bear country. Bushnell 3200,what about the vipers? Anyone have expierience with scopes for this calliber?
yukon
MadMax View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 06:24
Zeiss Conquest or Luepold VX-III / VX-3 will take the pounding yr after yr - any cheaper scopes the recoil takes its toll, usually at a bad time, the VX-II you mention is not nearly as tough.

Over the years the Bushnells puke the reticle or something else inside them under magnum pounding is my experience, when you factor in your time & cost of ammo, it just isnt worth it.

Buy good rings or the scope will slide under the pounding.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 06:29
i put a 2x7 vortex viper on my H&H got the c3 versa plex. its a good scope for that gun. vortex tests the  vipers with a .50bmg. so far its handled my .375 just fine.

the 1.75x6 vx3 isnt a bad choice either.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 06:32
Originally posted by MadMax MadMax wrote:

Zeiss Conquest or Luepold VX-III / VX-3 will take the pounding yr after yr - any cheaper scopes the recoil takes its toll, usually at a bad time, the VX-II you mention is not nearly as tough.

Over the years the Bushnells puke the reticle or something else inside them under magnum pounding is my experience, when you factor in your time & cost of ammo, it just isnt worth it.

Buy good rings or the scope will slide under the pounding.

really ive had my 4200 elite on my H&H and now its sitting on an even harder kicking .300 wby. the elites arent your dads bushnells.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 06:49
  +1 on the 2-7x32 Viper w/C3.

First compare the big diff in eye relief between 1.75 and 6 on the Leupold to see if you like it. I didn't.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Rath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 08:24
Another Thunbs Up for the 2-7x32 Viper w/C3. I have one on a 9.3x62 and it's a perfect fit.

Rath 

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 10:56
                                                                               Shocked  

Had to go check my gun safe to make sure my 9.3 x62mm w/2-7x32 C3 was still in there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why don't ya scare a man,Rath?!?!?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 13:03

Either the VX3 1.75-6x32 or the Viper 2-7x32 would be a perfect fit on the .375

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 17:53
What would be wrong with a SWFA SS 3-9?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Rath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 20:05
Don't get me wrong because I think the SS 3-9 is probably the best deal in riflescopes but unless you intend to dial your corrections and use your .375 from more than 200m I don't think you'll be using the 3-9 to it's potential. 

300S&W, it was a long swim to the USA but it was worth it for the scopeBig Grin

Rath
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 20:07
Originally posted by Rath Rath wrote:

Don't get me wrong because I think the SS 3-9 is probably the best deal in riflescopes but unless you intend to dial your corrections and use your .375 from more than 200m I don't think you'll be using the 3-9 to it's potential. 

300S&W, it was a long swim to the USA but it was worth it for the scopeBig Grin

Rath

i would agree with that, and add that their really isnt a good reason to use the H&H for long range. the lightweight .375" arent any where near the bullets that heavy .338's are, especially in the b.c world.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 10:06
The leo will hold up to anything a 375 can be shot through it. Heres one on a Safari .416 Rem. used when the distance dictates, however I prefer the irons.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 10:26
Classy rig, Dale!
I second the Leo opinions, too. I have found their lower power variables to have plenty of eye relief, even with the variability from low to high power. They are also very forgiving of eye position.
I am a big fan of the 3-9 SS. I would never put one on my H&H, though. I subscribe to "the bigger the gun, the smaller the scope" school of thought.
The back up for my .375 is a Leupold 1.5-5x20. The one that rides on it is a 1.1-4x24 Kahles.

Doug
Palehorse View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 10:46
yukon View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yukon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 14:52
Thanks for the help guys. Im dont know much about vortex, but they also said they tested the ss10x on 50 cal's. I bought one and put it on my Barret 82a1 it Knocked it out of focus after only 60rds. I just dont Know if the vortex will hold up in the long run. Is the leapold VX-1 in a 2-7x33 strong enough to hold up or will I it break under the pressure of a 375
yukon
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 06:28
Originally posted by yukon yukon wrote:

Thanks for the help guys. Im dont know much about vortex, but they also said they tested the ss10x on 50 cal's. I bought one and put it on my Barret 82a1 it Knocked it out of focus after only 60rds. I just dont Know if the vortex will hold up in the long run. Is the leapold VX-1 in a 2-7x33 strong enough to hold up or will I it break under the pressure of a 375

go ahead and buy the vx1
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 07:14
  ANY scope brand can have failures. Have you tried to resolve the problem with your SS?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 07:22
Originally posted by yukon yukon wrote:

Ok  I am going to be as straight forward as I can. If you had a SS fail I assure you that it was rectified if you did your part.  They are without a doubt some of the toughest scopes availible.  As far as the Vipers go, yes they did test them on the 50bmg, they held fine.  I believe scott said all teh vipers are perfectly fine to use on the 50bmg.  Now you are comparing the VX-1 to these two.  One not in the same league and the questioning of it holding up and doubtfullness of the viper is not easy to comprehend.  Maybe I'm missing something.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cornhuskid View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornhuskid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 10:09
I would also suggest a VX3 in about 1.5-6.  (assuming your not dialing!)

Tough scope, and one nice thing is the lifetime warranty.  You break it they will fix it for free!  (OK, $10.00 for shipping...)

"Back in the day" I played with the larger calibers, but had a VX III.  .375 H&H, .458 Win Mag, .416 Rem and Rigby as well as a custom .470 Capstick (yes, ouch).  The same scope was swapped between them without a hickup.

My buddy uses the VX3 on an unbraked 338 Rem Ultra and has never had a problem either.

Good luck with whatever you choose,

Jeff

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2010 at 10:23
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Heavy Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66810
  • Matte
  • Heavy Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$399.95
I have a 2-7 vortex its OK it was on my .375 H&H for a while now its on a .243 and it feels right on that rifle.  I also have the Leupold 6x42 FX3 heavy duplex shown above and I like it way better. I find that I can get onto something pretty quick with a 6x and the FX3 glass is pretty good and the scope is extremely bright.  I would suggest a fixed power scope on a heavy recoil rifle this would be my pick because it will be high enough power to work well at several hundred yards and low enough power to get onto game well under 100 yds. Anyting too close to shoot with this should be shot with an aimpoint or a trijicon accupoint scope with illuminated reticle.
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$779.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic