OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Japanese Simmons

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Japanese Simmons
    Posted: September/26/2010 at 21:43
Anyone know something about the Simmons model 1018? Is a variable power 6 to 24X riflescope made in Japan.

I have one and  I wish to know how good, or bad is. Was a good choice in his time?. How about repeatibility?

Is not an Schmidt & Bender or an Swarovsky, I accept that 

Thanks
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 21:47

Most of the Japanese glass was good. I would expect no less from the Simmons. I've never handled one of their Japanese models with that much magnification. 

Keep us posted on your findings. Those things turn up on Ebay for cheap once in a while. Thunbs Up

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 10:23
Most of those older Simmons from Japan and the Philippines had really nice clear glass and good eye relief,but the adjustments seem to get a little less predictable with time.
I had an early-mid nineties Japanese Aetec, and a later .44 Mag and a Whitetail Classic from the Philippines. Their glass is still really nice (on par with my Nikons and has even better eye relief),but I do have to fire a round or two to get the erector to settle in the adjustments.
It's a pity they couldn't couple the newer Meade designed erector system from the later Simmons models with the really nice Japanese glass they had in the early models. That might have made Simmons a real quality contender.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 11:05
  WELCOME to OT,Irod.

I've been searching but haven't found anything.............................................................yet.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Irod View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/28/2010 at 23:47
Thanks!
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

WELCOME to OT,Irod.

I've been searching but haven't found anything.............................................................yet.
tidmarshsmiths5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tidmarshsmiths5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 16:44
Found one today at a local gunshop..."Made in Phillipines".

Looked through it...it looked pretty good to me; eye relief was great! The finish was really ugly; sort of like a parkerized matte.  It added $50 to the value of the gun compared to the other ones that didn't have a scope on them.  I may ask them to sale me just the scope if they will or buy the gun package...they are a tad overpriced on their items.

I know someone may shoot me, but the eye relief was a lot better than an older used Zeiss Diavari 3-9x36 MC...they are selling it for $349. That thing jumped all over the place with tunnel vision (could just be the way I was holding it).  Really, wasn't that impressed with it.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 22:47
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

WELCOME to OT,Irod.

Earl, you probably have a couple of them laying in a box somewhere..Big Grin
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2010 at 22:49
Irod, I had one similar to that... I'm thinking it was a 6-18. it was actually a pretty decent scope from what I remember.
jgm1981 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgm1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2010 at 22:28
i have a Japanese OC marked Simmons in the 3x10 configuration and its very nice and clear. bought it off a guy still in the box with the 149.99 price tag on it from 20 years ago for 50 bucks. really nice glass for a lower end scope. easy to get behind too. haven't had a chance to mount and play with  
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic