OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Son's First

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Son's First
    Posted: September/25/2010 at 22:32

Well, after hours of study to ensure he would graduate at the top of his hunter's ed class and then months of waiting, my son was able to shoot his first big game animal.

Neither of us drew buck antelope tags so; we had to make due with doe tags.   Here is my son and his antelope.  He shot her with a Ruger M77 MkII Compact Rifle in 7-08 Rem.  Range was 104 yds. At the shot she dropped right where she had been standing, stone dead.  Watching my son take his first animal was way better than going hunting myself.

About an hour later I got to take one of my two does.  I shot her with my S&W 686+ Mountain Gun in .357 Magnum.  Range was 56 yds.  After the shot, she ran about 10 yds before piling up.  This is the second antelope I have killed with this gun and can I just say, I really, really like it.  It is by far my favorite gun ever.

I have one more antelope tag and I think I'm going to try to fill it with my longbow.  If that doesn't work out, then the Mountain Gun will get to place another notch on its belt.

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 22:58
Well done guys. Always great to see another generation of hunters coming along. Thunbs Up
If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 06:38
Hip, hip horray! Great job. The 7mm-08 compact is a dandy little banger. My wife shoots it too. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 06:50
nice job al!!!!! glad to see the youngster was successful, as the smile indicatesExcellent
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 07:50
I'm sure it was an awesome time for you two.  Congrats.  Excellent
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 08:47
That is one happy looking young man... Outstanding...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 08:47

Man that's awesome ! Nothing like getting out there with your kids !

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 09:31
That is outstanding! Thanks for sharing.
Doug
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 09:53
Proud Daddy and son, doesn't get much better than that!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 11:45
Why not let your son fill the second tag he would probably get more of a kick out of it and you probaly will too. Very nice glad you are both having success.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 13:50
Looks like a great hunt, and it is always fun seeing a first time hunter get their first animal.  Congrats to both of you.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 15:49
Nice pair between you. This will be the one that your son will remember forever. You will remember that you were able to back it up with the pistol.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 16:32
Congratulations to you both!  Great way to christin a new hunter!  ExcellentExcellent
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 18:11
Terrific! Thanks for sharing!
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 19:13
Awesome!!...congrats to both of you!!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2010 at 08:40
That's great !!! Congrats to you both !! Excellent
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2010 at 22:38
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Why not let your son fill the second tag he would probably get more of a kick out of it and you probaly will too. Very nice glad you are both having success.
Would love to, but can't. 

Here, the person who's name is on the tag is required to do the shooting. You can't shoot someone else's animal.  I don't know that I entirely agree with that law (though I understand it and don't exactly disagree with it either - I'm kind of "on the fence" about it) but, one thing I want my kids to learn is respect for and obedience to applicable law.
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 06:05
Originally posted by lucznik lucznik wrote:

Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Would love to, but can't. 

Here, the person who's name is on the tag is required to do the shooting. You can't shoot someone else's animal.  I don't know that I entirely agree with that law (though I understand it and don't exactly disagree with it either - I'm kind of "on the fence" about it) but, one thing I want my kids to learn is respect for and obedience to applicable law.

wyoming needs to allow party hunting, i hated that when i was growing up. there were so many chances for people in our group to take more than one animal and legally couldnt.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 07:54
Great hunt!  Your son will remember this hunt for the rest of his life.  Thanks for sharing, lucznik!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 11:23
Sweet!!!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic