OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is this normal, or is this scope broken?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this normal, or is this scope broken?
    Posted: September/25/2010 at 00:13
So I have a Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff. I picked it up online for a heck of a deal. It would normally not be my first choice, or my second, or anywhere even close to my top choices, but I got such a good deal I couldn't pass it up. I figured I could try it out, see how I liked it, then sell it for a profit if I didn't like it as I expected. I decided once getting it, that it would be better than the Simmons I was temporary using until the SS 5-20 variable power comes out, so I decided to mount it to my rifle. Anyway, after I mounted it, I went to adjust the focus. This is where I noticed something odd. Once the focus knob was loosened it would wobble a little bit in your hand. Not a ton, but a little bit. I noticed as you moved it around slightly, the cross hairs would move around inside the scope too. Is this normal? Or is something wrong here? Does this mean every time I adjust the focus it's going to change zero? Once the focus knob is tightened down with the lock ring the cross hairs don't move. 
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 02:05

The reticle should never move unless you manipulate the elevation or windage turrets.  I hate to say it, but it appears you found the reason you got such a good deal.  Additionally, the focus ring should only turn on the threads, not wobble.

Edited by Magnumdood - September/25/2010 at 02:06
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 02:55
I don't know if wobble is the correct word. When it's unscrewed quite a bit and the lock ring is not tight against it, you can push it up and down somewhat. I'm not sure wobbles is the best word. I just checked my Leupold VX-I and it does this exact same thing. So if it shouldn't do this I may be dealing with both Leupold customer service again as well as Nikons. 
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 13:49
After looking at it more, I think it might not be the crosshairs moving, but instead the rear lens moving and making it appear as though the crosshairs move up and down as you move the lens. I'm not sure, but I know that every other scope I have with an adjustable eyepiece to adjust the focus is doing this, so I figure it really can't be a bad scope.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 14:17
Good news then!

Because of the Brave
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 14:19
The lock ring will square up and keep the ocular from moving after adjusted.  You should only adjust the ocular once, to make the reticle sharp and clear.  You should not have to move the ocular reticle adjustment again, ever.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 15:06
So since all my other scopes do it too is it safe to assume this is normal?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 22:01
If you're really concerned, send it in to Nikon and ask them to look it over.

Because of the Brave
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2010 at 08:21
Have seen the same thing happen with some of mine and never had a problem out of them.  Once tightened down everything was fine. 
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2010 at 18:16
Originally posted by magshooter1 magshooter1 wrote:

Have seen the same thing happen with some of mine and never had a problem out of them.  Once tightened down everything was fine. 
+1
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2010 at 23:23
Originally posted by sakomato sakomato wrote:

The lock ring will square up and keep the ocular from moving after adjusted.  You should only adjust the ocular once, to make the reticle sharp and clear.  You should not have to move the ocular reticle adjustment again, ever.

Or untill your vision changes. Unfortunately that happens to most of us eventually.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 16:12
Well, I shot it today and it shot great. Same POI at all different magnifications I tried, and it stayed zeroed. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic