OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Velocity ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velocity ?
    Posted: September/24/2010 at 10:59

Guys, got a question.

I have a Mauser 3000 .30-06 that I picked up a couple of years ago.  Problem is that my loads don't come within 200 fps of what they should even when I take into account the 22 vs. 24 in. barrel.  Accuracy is fair but not outstanding (1.25"-1.5").  My gut tells me "loose bore" but I thought I'd get some input from the experienced and knowledgable shooters/loaders on this board.  I've been loading about 8 years now and this is the first time I have seen this problem.  I have tried several different powders; all on the slower side.  Should I try a faster powder?  Should I try a different bullet?  Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 11:16
I would play with several different weight bullets if you haven't already.  Could be the twist and bullet aren't matching up good.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 12:00
I'd have to agree with the loose bore, but also would try a faster burn rate powder.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 12:22
  What powder and bullets are you using,Chris?  What powder loads have you tried?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 12:35
Originally posted by magshooter1 magshooter1 wrote:

Problem is that my loads don't come within 200 fps of what they should

What is your source for "should"?

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 15:35
Have a qualified gunsmith slug the bore to find out if the bore is to large, or if you reload, expeariment with different bullits and powders to try and tighten the groups up. Slower burning rate powders will give you higher velocities; just make sure you match powder to bullit weight according to your manual.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 18:30
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

What powder and bullets are you using,Chris?  What powder loads have you tried?

yes do tell
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
sakomato View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sakomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 20:42
You will lose velocity if you are seating with a large jump to the lands.  How far are you seating from the lands?

Some barrels are slower.  Nothing you can do about it.

Also try RL17, many are getting greater velocity, I know I am getting approx 100 fps more than comparable loads with no pressure signs.  IMO in 3 or 4 years RL17 will be considered THE powder for the 30-06.

Use a Federal 215 magnum powder and you will gain a little.
Guns only have 2 enemies, rust and politicians
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 22:37
My mauser for a while shot like crap.  I used different bullets which helped.  Also helped free floating the barrel, but I am not sure I would mess with that until you try other bullets and powder.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 08:10
Powders and bullets tried:  H4350, IMR4350, IMR 4831 and R-19 (haven't shot all these but initial results low too) Hornady 165g SST and Nosler Ballistic Tip 165g.  Using data from Hornady and Nosler manuals.  Worked up to max loads from both manuals. 
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 13:14
What kind of pressure signs were you getting if any ?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/29/2010 at 17:16
   +1

Also,what were your velocity increases from the start loads to max?
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 07:41
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

What kind of pressure signs were you getting if any ?

No signs of pressure at all.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 07:45

+1

I'll have to go back and look at my notes for the start loads but the max loads topped out in the mid to high 2600's with one breaking 2700.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 09:54
You can continue up then in 1/2 grain increments.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 09:58
Just for the record, I can load 58 grns of IMR-4350 in pretty much any 06 I worked with and I've gone to 58.5 before accuracy started to fall off.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 10:04

As you increase you loads watch for pressure signs,unusually hi increases in velocity,or decreases in velocity.  DO NOT exceed Noslers max velocity even if none of the previous things mentioned show up.  
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 10:14
Was that a CYA ? Guess I shouldn't just say it's safe should I.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 11:06
  But it is safe and not really a CYA cause you had already asked if he had seen any pressure signs and by his answer we knew he had the knowledge to watch for them.  You know yourself from being involved in other threads involving the "discussions" of exceeding max published loads how things can go.  So all I wanted to do was put out some info that has worked for me over the yrs that he can add to what he already watches for IF he chooses to.  To me the more technical info and on hand experiences I learn about the better chances of me keeping all my body parts where they belong.  Bucky 
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2010 at 14:22
Originally posted by magshooter1 magshooter1 wrote:

+1

I'll have to go back and look at my notes for the start loads but the max loads topped out in the mid to high 2600's with one breaking 2700.
What bullit weight and design are you using, and what are you measuring the velocity with?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic