OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Rep? Sam? Scott?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Rep? Sam? Scott?
    Posted: September/23/2010 at 20:27

Why is Vortex eliminating the 2-7x32 Viper?  It is such a versatile magnification range in a handy-sized scope; it makes zero sense to eliminate it.

Edited by Magnumdood - September/23/2010 at 20:28
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 21:07

Top Secret????????

Need to keep this near the top.  Inquiring minds want to know!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 22:41

You're right; it could me a MOSS project.

Mystic
Order of
Secret
Sh**

Edited by RifleDude - September/24/2010 at 07:15
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 07:15
Originally posted by Magnumdood Magnumdood wrote:

Why is Vortex eliminating the 2-7x32 Viper?  It is such a versatile magnification range in a handy-sized scope; it makes zero sense to eliminate it.

...unless it hasn't sold well.  I like the 2-7X magnification range and other such "tweener" scopes too.  But, evidenced by the fact several mfgs had variable scopes in this class and have since discontinued them, combined with the fact that so many shooters (too many) feel that more is better and opt for more magnification, I suspect scopes in this class don't sell very well.

Let's face it, whether or not a product seems to make good sense has zero relevance if it doesn't sell.  Manufacturers of anything are in business to make money, and if something they produce isn't making enough money, it won't be made much longer, regardless of its apparent virtues.

I don't know if this is the case with the 2-7X32 Viper or not, but it's one of the most common reasons anything is discontinued.

Edited by RifleDude - September/24/2010 at 07:18
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 07:17
I'd say RD hit the nail on the head.  I think most likely what happened when they anounceded the models they were going to discontinue it was based on number of units sold. I could understand the process behind it. 
brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 07:40

I might be mistaken but didn't Sam say a month or so ago in another thread that the line was being improved as the reason for the existing scopes to be discontinued? I think you guys may be jumping the gun here...

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 08:01
  Yep.  I'm not saying they're totally eliminating a 2-7 option and I certainly hope they don't.  Just wondering,if Vortex is replacing the existing 2-7 Viper what are they replacing it with.
akula88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akula88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 09:02
I wish for a 1.5-6 x24 or x32 that would expand the Viper PST line.  But that would seemed to cost more the current 2-7.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 10:48
A 2 or 2.5 x8 35 or 36 to compete with the Leupy VX 3 would be nice. Smile Since Zeiss discontinued their 2.5x8x32. Sad The Monarch is ok except for that big honking eye piece.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 11:32
  Seems those of us who like the low powered variables are DEFINITELY in the minority. Even as popular as the Bushnell Elite 4200 series scopes are the 1.5-6x36 is gone.  My advise is to find the best one/ones you can afford and buy them.
Shenko View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shenko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 11:51
Low-powered variables are getting to be almost as scarce as 4X fixed scopes. Come to think of it, a bunch of companies used to make 2.5X scopes.

And if you want one with a good reticule, that really cuts the number down. (By good, in this context, I mean fast, and easy to see in low light.)

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I need a 6.5-20 with a little tiny target dot.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 11:53
I did not realize I was in such a minority. I just logged all my scopes last night into a spreadsheet: more than 60% of my scopes have a maximum mag of 7x or less...
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 12:35
  I started seeing this coming 2+ yrs ago when I began deciding on a low powered scope (fixed or variable) for my not then finished 9.3x62 98 Mauser.  Some of those I considered then are gone now.  Recently I decided to up grade to more modern scopes and ended up with a NIB M8 2.5x20 w/hvy plx(still available),a 4X Zeiss(discontinued),and the 2-7 Viper(discontinued).
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 13:06
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Seems those of us who like the low powered variables are DEFINITELY in the minority.

Gospel Truth, Earl.
This forum is the only optics forum I know of that consistantly talks shooters off the "high magnification" ledge and recommends low mag optics.  
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 13:39
Ted is totally correct.  It just did not sell well enough (I asked Vortex a little while back).

My personal observation is that most people who tout the advantage of tweener scopes on various forums, do not buy them.  They are perfectly happy admiring them from a distance.

ILya
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 14:18
So vortex is disscontinuing all the models the have on sale?? I really like the 6.5-20X50 and X44 with the target dot reticle for target shooting!!!!! I might have to buy a couple more while they're still around. I also like that V-plex Wide for predator hunting. I find it very confortable for this application.
blacktails View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 14:19
It seems I've come full circle with my scope puchases over the years.  Started with a Vari X III 2.5-8, then added a Vari X III 3.5-10, a 4200 Elite 2.5-10, topped out in power at a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14, then back down to a Big Sky II 3-9, a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9, and now a Viper 2-7.  Regretted selling the 2.5-8 and the Mod 70 Featherweight it was on, so bought another Featherweight and the 2-7 Viper for it. 

The tweener scopes seem about perfect for general hunting use, especially on a lighter rifle.  Vortex should offer either an upgraded 2-7 or a 2.5-8, both to compete with (and top) the Leupold V3 2.5-8.  As long as the glass is high quality, I would think they would sell.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 16:07
+1. Love the tweeners.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 18:22
well hopefully there are enough people willing to sell them on the open market second hand at a later date if i need another one.Bucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 06:25
I too like the tweener's and find them all one should need for hunting medium to large game. I think some of the issue is the length of most 2x7's which hovers around 5.25" on most makes. This is the min measurement to fit my zee rings on my 270 model 700 and thus if you need to adj your eye relief your out of luck. So note to the designers you're knocking yourself out of 50% of the rifles out there   for this reason alone. I suggest you add about 1/2" to 3/4" to your tube length and you could solve a lot of this problem. It's funny I think probably the best proportioned scope ever made was the old steel weaver k4s. They were not too big but would fit on about anything. Amazing after all these years the designers have forgotten that simple fact. Just look at the market for the older "long tube " leupold 4x m8's. Again pretty compact but will fit about anything.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic