OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Opinions on Stainless matte finish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Opinions on Stainless matte finish
    Posted: September/23/2010 at 14:05
I've started shopping around for a new toy and I wanted it in stainless finish.  Seems most of the mfg's are going to this anti glare matte stainless finish.  I'm not digging it..... I'm a bit put off because I'm not finding much in the original stainless look.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 14:09
Savage still has the regular stainless.
Average Joe View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Average Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 14:13

Dig out that polishing kit.

I'm classic shag nasty type.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 14:19

If nothing else, you can always just buy the new toy anyway, sand down past the blast finish using progressively finer grits of emory cloth, then polish out the surface of the metal with lapping paste / polishing compound until you get the sheen you want.

Or take it to a gunsmith or machine shop and have them polish it for you.

It's not hard to do; it just takes time and effort.

Edited by RifleDude - September/23/2010 at 14:21
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 14:20
I agree. I have a few of the new Ruger Hawkeye stainless rifles and dont care for the new matte finish. The older version, MK II, had a very nice polished stainless that I much prefer although the triggers sucked and the stocks were bulkier.

Check Gunbroker, good deals to be had there sometimes.

I had one of them bead blasted and while its still matte, its a nicer matte than what comes from the factory.

Josh

WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 14:23
Hehe - I feel the same way.

Almost all my rifles are SS. In fact, I sometimes end up buying an extra  rifle that I already have in a different caliber just because I find it in SS...  BAD addiction. This year I cracked for a Browning 308 Lightweight SS Takedown (aluminum receiver, SS barrel), and I bought my older boy a Win 70 Featherweight SS  in 243 as his first deer rifle.

Thank G_d there are not too many SS rifles - and even fewer which combine good wood with SS - so temptation is limited:-)
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 14:31
  I don't have an all stainless rifle.  But I do have a M70 Classic w/a CM receiver and SS bolt.  The extractor REALLY galls at a certain point in it's raceway when closing the bolt.  So how is the galling in these all stainless rifles?  Just wondering.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 14:38
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Savage still has the regular stainless.
Savage and Marlin both still do, but Ruger, Browning and some others have gone to the matte...

To RifleD's comments and AJs (love that new avatar).. I've considered doing the polishing process, just afraid of how it will turn out.  Could make it uglier than it started.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 14:40

What kinda toy are you looking for?

scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 14:42

25/06
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 14:59
Originally posted by scooter65 scooter65 wrote:

25/06

Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 15:03
I never really like SS on my rifles, or any gun as a matter of fact. To me it makes the gun look to much like a safe queen. Not saying that's the case in all instances (its probably a very small %) but that's just what my eye sees. Plus having the military background i never understood getting a weapon that stands out from a very long way off. 
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 15:08

I would think a stainless rifle would not be good for hunting because it would reflect the sun too much and make you stick out. Teh animal would see the glint off the stainless finish and say hey that aint rignt and off it goes. For a bench rest gun it wouldn't matter but for a hunting rifle I would stay away from shiny. Just my opinion.

Edited by saitotiktmdog - September/23/2010 at 15:08
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 15:15
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

So how is the galling in these all stainless rifles?  Just wondering.

You know, a lot of people talk abt galling w/ SS, and I have always thought it was a matter of time before I run into it - but I never have so far, although I have about 9 or 10 SS receivers now, and I must have gone through another 8-10?

But - I work long hours so I only put through so many bullets down range per year. Maybe if I shot more? I think it is less of an issue than people think.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 15:16
 BUT in certain climatic situations it's the only way to go.  Anyone read the article and see the pics in Rifle mag where Phil Shoemaker's daughter Tia found a Rem M700 SS buried in a sandbar in Alaska(freshwater)?  Lets just say everything else other than the SS didn't fair very well at all.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 15:17
Stainless is good!Big Grin  Especially with dark grain wood.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 15:22
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

Plus having the military background i never understood getting a weapon that stands out from a very long way off. 

I guess it depends which service-  I am ex-Navy, and we use a lot of SS:-) Maybe that's why I like my rifles in SS?

In fact, while gun-grade SS does rust in a corrosive environment, I still find it a lot better for mucking around in boats. I have spent a lot of time in sailboats and ships all my life (used to make a living at it), and I always assume any of my rifles will end up on board for a good while. A sailboat is such a corrosive environment that I find it makes a big difference.

I have not tried that new Rem. extreme finish yet (XTR?) but I plan to do that sometime. Although I want to pick the old version - which looks like stainless:-) - not the black XTR II.

Edited by WestOfPecos - September/23/2010 at 15:22
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 15:26
Originally posted by WestOfPecos WestOfPecos wrote:

Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

So how is the galling in these all stainless rifles?  Just wondering.

You know, a lot of people talk abt galling w/ SS, and I have always thought it was a matter of time before I run into it - but I never have so far, although I have about 9 or 10 SS receivers now, and I must have gone through another 8-10?

But - I work long hours so I only put through so many bullets down range per year. Maybe if I shot more? I think it is less of an issue than people think.

This M70 is a rifle that was put togther from new parts last yr.  The high part on the long extractor(control round feed) is what galls.
   Maybe the brand rifles you have (no control round feed?) is the reason you don't experience it?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 15:27

Stainless is good!Big Grin  Especially with dark grain wood.

Ow, SVT, this is a beauty. The dark wood looks phenom with it. Great pic! Savage BTVS?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 15:35
yeppers  Bud has her twin in blued and blonde wood
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic