OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Viper vs. Monarch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownchristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viper vs. Monarch
    Posted: September/23/2010 at 05:45
I was pretty much sold on getting a Nikon Monarch but with the price of the Viper I might of changed my mind.  I will be mounting this on a Remington SPS Tactical with a Suppressor in 223.

This is the Viper I am interested in.

And this is the Nikon.

I will be shooting this gun in very low light conditions.  Mostly at night with red lights over a feeder at 75 yds.  (Hog Control)
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 06:17
The vortex would be my choice, price, and the low mag, you won't need over 10x either especially shooting with a suppressor.

EDIT*

Let me go into a little more detail on my statement.  If you are shooting subsonic 223 rounds I think your usable effective range will be far too short to worry with a 16x top end.  If your using standard supersonic, then you may find 16x useful because of the very critical shot placement you have to make on a hog with such a small caliber round.  That said.  The Nikon is a great scope, however the value you get for your money in the viper edges it out in my opinion.  Also the no questions asked lifetime transferable warranty on Vortex's products far out shines' Nikons history of shotty customer service.  I hear they are doing better but before i can say they are worthy again I need to see a track record.

Edited by SVT_Tactical - September/23/2010 at 07:37
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 07:30
Vortex is offering some very nice scopes at extremely attractive prices, they must not be overlooked in the mid priced range.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 10:53
+3 for the Vortex.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
brownchristian View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownchristian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 12:58
Ordered the Vortex.
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 18:59
I changed my 2   5-20X44 Monarchs for a 6.5-20X44 and a 6.5-20X50 Vipers and no regrets at all. Great scopes. 
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 20:55
Originally posted by bjhkjhkjkjolhj bjhkjhkjkjolhj wrote:

Renewed Hope If...on most of the servers and we can deliver your WOW gold on the order in a short while.

You might look into some professional help...mental help.  I'm thinking initially Thorazine would do wonders for you.

America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2010 at 08:03
I have a 3x12x42 Monarch and a 4x12x40 Viper.  I prefer the Viper.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2010 at 10:43
I dont have either one, but you may wish you wouldve gotten something with thicker crosshairs if you are going to be using it at night. They are much easier to center over a hog at night than thin crosshairs are.
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 16:09
Darn you guys, you talked me into it so I just put in the 3.5x10 Vortex order. Lets see if it's all it's cracked up to be as indicated around here.
gcp
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic