OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

posp 6x or 3x9 for 7.62x39 ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: posp 6x or 3x9 for 7.62x39 ?
    Posted: September/22/2010 at 17:48
I'm going insane just trying to figure out what I want,  maybe someone can steer me in the right direction Smile

I'd like to mount a Posp scope on my cz 858,  i've narrowed my choices to either 6x42 or 3x9x42.  The 6x "allows for focus adjustment in the range of ± 3 diopter" , while the 3x9 has the advantage of variable magnification but it does cost $100 more.  Both of them have built in range finders but i'm wondering,  will the rangefinder work on the 3x9 scope?

If you had an ak47 or similar rifle that needed to be scoped,  which one would you choose? 

Edited by lexmark - September/22/2010 at 17:52
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 19:19
I have been decidedly dissappointed with the POSP scopes I have tried up to date (about a dozen or so over the last few years).

If you rifle supports it, I would lean toward a modern scope.  Fixed power POSP scopes are based on the original 50s design.  They were pretty good then, but not good enough for today.

As for which magnification fits 7.62x39 cartridge, I would be leaning toward 4x.

ILya 
lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 19:58
Uh oh... hmmm,  i've read nothing but good reviews up until now.  What was the main problem with the dozen scope you've tried?  I'd like to know what to look out for incase I do choose this brand.

I've read that these scopes are suposedly rock solid, very clear and can be compared to modern scopes costing 4x more... 

martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 20:34
given the caliber , I'd go with a 1x4 or 2x7 at the outside. Pick up a Vortex 2x7
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 21:22
I would probably be more inclined to add the Midwest Industries Quad Rail front hand guard and run a scout scope.
Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope Duplex Leupold 2.5x28 FX-II Scout Scope
Stock # - LEU58810
  • Matte
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Multi-Coat 4 Lens System
$299.95
Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope Heavy Plex Burris 2.75x20 Scout Scope
Stock # - 200269
  • Matte
  • Heavy Plex
  • 1"
$249.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 21:28

Scoping an AK is probably not high on my list unless I put an Aimpoint or EOTech on it they are up close and personal guns not sniper quality long range guns. You might be better advised to buy a Tikka or a Savage in whatever caliber and scope it for your longer  range work.  Here is my favorite 6X

SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95
Add SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 21:54

Thats a good suggestion but I actually sold my only tikka this morning, to fund this project Big Grin

I do have a red dot mounted on the front rail of my 858 but i'd like to have the ability to quickly mount a side railed scope over the dust cover,  for those 200 yard pop can shots.  The POSP seems to be the easiest and cheapest solution so far but I might skip the whole idea if you guys dont approve of the russian scope.

Here is what I sold,

So that I can work on this ,

Downgrading from german glass to russian Loco 

Edited by lexmark - September/22/2010 at 21:58
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 12:22
Originally posted by lexmark lexmark wrote:

Uh oh... hmmm,  i've read nothing but good reviews up until now.  What was the main problem with the dozen scope you've tried?  I'd like to know what to look out for incase I do choose this brand.

I've read that these scopes are suposedly rock solid, very clear and can be compared to modern scopes costing 4x more... 

The main problem is that this is a very old design.  Glass was very good in the 50s when they came up with it, but it only got better coatings since then.  

Keep in mind, that I am only familar with the fixed power scopes and the 2.5-5x24.  I have not played with the 3-9x40.

The reticle is not centered, so you might end up with it somewhere at the edge of the field of view depending on how the mount lines up.

Knobs were not very repeatable.  Magnification ring was super loose.  If you breathed on it, it turned and on a few specimens it wobbled.

On three or four of the scopes I looked at, the reticle was visibly canted.

Additionally (and this is a personal preference), the scope ends up being quite substantially offset to the left of the receiver.  In order to have consistent head position, I had to use a pad ont he buttstock.

On the plus side, I like the Dragunov-style reticle with the choke rangefinder.  Also, the whole thing has a cool Eastern block look to it that matches the rifle.

ILya

P.S.  On top of all that, having grown up in Russia, I am deeply suspicious about any precision product made there.
lexmark View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lexmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 19:27
Ok thanks for the detailed responce,  i've been doing a bit of reading and this is honestly the first really negative review I came across,  maybe you just handled a bad batch...  who knows. 

I'll take the risk and pick up the 6x,  avoid the adjustable 3x9 so less can go wrong,   i'll post up some pics and maybe a review when everything is all set and done.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 19:39

Ilya, you have this one on your Saiga 7.62 x 39 don't you?  "memory fails me at times"

http://swfa.com/Hawke-125-4x24-Eclipse-30mm-Riflescope-P41111.aspx

I'm looking at adding those to my Saigas.  "7.62 x 39  and .223"

Seems like a very good practical design.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 19:56
Originally posted by neilbilly neilbilly wrote:

Ilya, you have this one on your Saiga 7.62 x 39 don't you?  "memory fails me at times"

http://swfa.com/Hawke-125-4x24-Eclipse-30mm-Riflescope-P41111.aspx

I'm looking at adding those to my Saigas.  "7.62 x 39  and .223"

Seems like a very good practical design.

I had it on my Saiga or some time and it worked very well.

Ultimately, I decided to put an UltiMAK rail on it with a red dot, which probably a better fit for this rifle.

ILya
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 19:57
Originally posted by lexmark lexmark wrote:

Ok thanks for the detailed responce,  i've been doing a bit of reading and this is honestly the first really negative review I came across,  maybe you just handled a bad batch...  who knows. 

I'll take the risk and pick up the 6x,  avoid the adjustable 3x9 so less can go wrong,   i'll post up some pics and maybe a review when everything is all set and done.

Good luck.

Post your impressions once you get it all set up.

ILya
ertytfryhukre View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ertytfryhukre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 03:28
<Another jackass spammer just got banned>

Edited by koshkin - October/07/2010 at 03:46
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2010 at 06:24
Originally posted by ertytfryhukre ertytfryhukre wrote:

<Another jackass spammer just got banned>

Excellent
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic