OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Banner on a .30-06?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Banner on a .30-06?
    Posted: September/21/2010 at 14:58
I've been elk hunting for about 5 years now but have been using someone else's (my uncle) scoped rifle each year,  but he's using it this year.   So I got a new (to me anyway) rifle and was planning to get either a Bushnell 4200 or Nikon Monarch this month to put on it for our October hunt.    

Some extremely unexpected circumstances have sucked away those funds that I had earmarked for the scope.

However I need something but can only spend like $100 and won't be able to save up more before the hunt.    I've got a friend that has a good condition Bushnell Banner 4-12x....he offered to sell it to me for $40.

I just need something to last for sighting in on the rifle and the 5 day elk hunt so this seemed like maybe a good option.

Just wondering if these banner scopes hold zero with .30-06.....most of the reviews I'm seeing are with people putting them on rimfires.

Before next season I'll be able to get the funds saved up and buy one of the two scopes I had originally shortlisted.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 15:07

It could hold fine but youd sure be kicking yourself if you missed an elk on that hunt because of a faulty scope.   The lowes in the bushnell line i think i'd use would be the trophy.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 16:03

SVT is spot on,luckeystrike.

If all you can absolutely spend is $100 (MAYBE a tad more?) I'd suggest you go with a fixed power scope such as one of these (they're not in order of preference):

If you can, locate other used ones in your price range and let us know what they are.  Maybe you'll come across something more dependable that we can advise you on. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 16:04
If I had a $100.00 limit, I'd look for something used like this.

Life time warranty.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 16:09
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

If I had a $100.00 limit, I'd look for something used like this.

Life time warranty.

Foorgot about them Good find LT.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 16:30
     Thunbs Up  That'll work!!
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 17:57
If there is only $100 I would spend it on ammo to make sure my iron sights were on target. Wink
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
luckystrike View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 19:32
Hmmmm..just talked to my dad and he said one of his friends has a spare rifle I can use (late 80's Ruger M77) with an older Redfield 2-7x on it.

Kinda stinks to not be able to use the rifle I bought a couple months ago but if it means having better optics then the Tikka I bought can wait another year for it's first elk hunt.

Are the older Redfields decent scopes?   Better then a Banner I hope?
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 20:18
 The older USA made Redfields were good optically and very dependable.  Equal to the old Leupold Vari-X II.  BEST OF LUCK on your hunt.  
 SHAME you can't afford to pick up one of these from SWFA before they're gone.  It would compliment that Tika very well.  This scope normally runs close to $300. 

Vortex Viper Rifle Scopes

Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope
Stock # - VPRM02BDC
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"
Specifications
Weight (oz): 13

Dead-Hold BDC

Length (in): 11.3
Eye Relief (in): 4 - 3.7
Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 46.7 - 13.4
Exit Pupil (mm): --
MOA: 1/4
Lens Coating: XR Coating
Warranty: Unlimited Transferable Warrant

Vortex 2-7x32 Viper Rifle Scope

$169.95

Edited by 300S&W - September/21/2010 at 20:21
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 22:22
Well like i said I think I want either a 4200 or Monarch....my budget was (and will be) in the $400 to $500 range....it's just that I had a series of very unexpected events (some good, some bad) that all hit like a couple days apart last week and caused me to spend  the money I had set aside for the scope.   I'll be able to save up the money again but just not in the 3 or so weeks I've got before the hunt.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 07:03

Good luck on the hunt and I commend you on saving for what you really want.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 08:00
Dont go banner. I had one on my .30-06 and it didn't hold up. The banner is for 223 and under IMHO.
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 08:01
Try the sample list. I picked up a sightron for 150. Its a 285 dollar scope. 2.5-10x40.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 12:47
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Good luck on the hunt and I commend you on saving for what you really want.

+1
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
scooter65 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 16:38
Originally posted by luckystrike luckystrike wrote:

Well like i said I think I want either a 4200 or Monarch....my budget was (and will be) in the $400 to $500 range....it's just that I had a series of very unexpected events (some good, some bad) that all hit like a couple days apart last week and caused me to spend  the money I had set aside for the scope.   I'll be able to save up the money again but just not in the 3 or so weeks I've got before the hunt.

There is a heck of a deal on a used Monarch for sale in the members trading post.  4x16 with side focus, mounted but never shot with, 300.00 includes shipping.

Edited by scooter65 - September/22/2010 at 16:40
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luckystrike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 20:29
crap....super bad timing or I definitely would have bought it
Longarm View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2010 at 19:00
 A friend of mine has a banner on a Marlin xl7 in 30 06 and it has held up for 3 years now. I would never buy one but he has had a lot of success with his.  it kinda ticks me off that he kills pigs just as dead as my higher end gear does. I usually spend 3 to 5 hundred on optics and he has only gone over 150 bucks once.
MadMax View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadMax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2010 at 08:40
Originally posted by saitotiktmdog saitotiktmdog wrote:

Dont go banner. I had one on my .30-06 and it didn't hold up. The banner is for 223 and under IMHO.

Junk - cold weather seems to have a bad affect on those banners - 1 shot out of my sons 300wby in the cold, he could not see out of the scope, thats happened with the first on & the second they sent as a replacement which took a few shots, something shifts and its not the reticle that goes out.

Now if you are budget shopping "tight budget" Walmart has those 4-12x40 Bushnell's - "Don't LAUGH" its been on the older boys 300wby for 3 - 4 seasons w/o puking its guts under any condition. Sportsmen I think its called.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2010 at 09:15
Originally posted by Longarm Longarm wrote:

A friend of mine has a banner on a Marlin xl7 in 30 06 and it has held up for 3 years now. I would never buy one but he has had a lot of success with his.  it kinda ticks me off that he kills pigs just as dead as my higher end gear does. I usually spend 3 to 5 hundred on optics and he has only gone over 150 bucks once.

but when his dies un-expectedly or he misses because of a scope issue then he will kick himself and you can take the trophy!
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2010 at 10:52
Lucky,have you looked at the zeiss conquest 3-9x40?A better scope than either of the two your saving to get.Best bang for the buck hunting scope on the planet!

For now good luck on your hunt,keep us informed!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic