OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What to do

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to do
    Posted: September/21/2010 at 11:39
So I had decideded to get a Kahles CL 3-9x42.  Well today the wife ups the money I can spend and know I could get the Swarovski Z5 3-18x44.  So is it worth the extra 900 bucs or should I just stick with the Kahles?
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 11:43

The Kahles is a solid scope, and I see no reason to spend the extra money. Still, if you want the features of the Swaro, then get the Swaro. The extra mag range is nice to have available, but not worth the extra (considerable) expense.

With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 11:51
I really like my Kahles 2x7 and 3x9. But the versatility of the 3x18 Swaro in a hunting package is hard to beat. I bought the 2 Kahles because I have to deal with my son's rifle and mine everywhere I go:-) If he was of age I would have got the Swarovski.

I don't own the Swarovski 3x18. I am going by reputation on it.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 11:56
On what is it going?

At what is it shooting?

If you "can" spend the additional $900, I doubt you'd ever regret it.

Is there a Z5 3-18? I thought the "Z" was the zoom multiplier.  I was wrong once before, could be wrong again.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 11:59
3.5-18.  For clarification.

The 3-18 is Z6, and costs a little more.

Kahles is nice, all things being equal, I'd get the Swaro is funds allowed.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 11:59
someone said once to get the best glass you can afford...... not sure how the glass compares but i like the extra mag range for sure.
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 13:29
3.5-18 is correct.  It will be going on a ruger hawkeye in 338 federal for big game out to 300 yrds give or take a little.  I know the 9x will be plenty for this.  I was just thinking that if I went with the 18x that down the road I would have it if I wanted to put the scope on a longer range gun.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 13:44
Personally I would buy what I am gonna need now.  Later when you do, if you do, get a longer range gun, then get glass for it.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 13:44
I personally don't think the z5 justifies the extra $900.00, I'd take the extra cash and spend it somthing else. Maybe even a gift for the wife.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
brav302 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brav302 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 14:38
I see there is a Zeiss 2.5-10x42 Victory Diavari on the sample list for 400 bucs more than the Kahles.  Should I consider this or grab the Kahles and run.  Man these decisions are tuff.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 14:42
Zeiss Victory is some of the very best glass money can buy, especially in bad weather.

Of the 3, I'd get the Zeiss.
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 15:03
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Zeiss Victory is some of the very best glass money can buy, especially in bad weather.

+1
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 20:45
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

i concur sir
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 01:23
Zeis Victory.
I allways push for magnification in a target rifle. If you are going to shoot paper, in my opinion magnification is your friend.
But for hunting and on the rifle you mention 10X is plenty out to 300 yds.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic