OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Viper on Sale vs Conquest 3-9x40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viper on Sale vs Conquest 3-9x40
    Posted: September/21/2010 at 08:51
Guys, with the current SWFA sales, I can get into a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 for $170 or even a 3.5-10x50 for $240.  Have always wanted to try one of these, but no dealer near me in NJ stocks them so would be sight unseen purchase.

These look like incredible deals for the money, but how do these scopes compare with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for $400 (which I currently own)?  I figure the Zeiss will be better, but $160 to $230 better I would doubt.  Assume the glass will be mounted to a standard .243 or .270 hunting rifle.

Thx for the help, B
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 09:02
I just got a 6-20x and I gotta say I am pretty impressed.  The glass quality is quite good.  Conquest may be a bit better, but I bet not by much.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 09:16
Would compare the 6.5-20x50 to my Elite 4200 in morning/daylight but havent compared much beyond that, hope that is somewhat helpful.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 09:27

I think your safe to go with the vortex viper and it will be very good scope,  similar to the Zeiss Conquest but maybe not quite as good but definately not the price difference worth.

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 09:54
I  just got a viper 2-7X32 and while I won't say its as nice as the zeiss, it's an absolute steal at $180.00.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
cyborg View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Gaseous Clay

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cyborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 11:33
You're not gonna get Conquest type glass from anything that costs less than the Conquest. Even some that cost more fall short in that regard. Still, for the money that you spend on a Vortex Viper, they are surprisingly good, even at their normal price tag. They are not all that far behind the Conquest glass wise, in fact most people won't see any difference.
With Freedom comes great responsibility, you cannot have one without the other

An armed public are citizens. A disarmed public are subjects.

OATH KEEPER #8233 Support us, and join our cause.

Cyborg
brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 12:56
Thanks for the replies so far guys. One more question on the Vipers I'm asking about... can anyone comment on the eye position sensitivity of these scopes? In other words, does my eye have to be in perfect position or the image blinks out, or is the image picture somewhat forgiving head position wise if I have to shoulder and take the quick shot?
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 17:39

You will not beat the coquest for that $400,nor will you beat that viper price but the Zeiss is hands down the better glass.I own both & this is just my $.02 opion!

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 18:55
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I just got a 6-20x and I gotta say I am pretty impressed.  The glass quality is quite good.  Conquest may be a bit better, but I bet not by much.  
This statement might have to make me take the plunge something as good as conquest (or just a little bit different)...

I cannot believe the Viper glass is close but if you say it is I might be selling some glass...
No one
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 19:05
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

This statement might have to make me take the plunge something as good as conquest (or just a little bit different)...

I cannot believe the Viper glass is close but if you say it is I might be selling some glass...

My problem is I have no scopes in that power range to compare it to.  I have a sightron s2 big sky, 1-5x.  A Bushnell 4200 3-9x and a Trijicon 1-4x. Which are all not quite as good as the conquest but close, especially the Trijicon.  But since it is such a different setup it is hard to say for sure.  But I was impressed and am happy with the optics.  And for the discounted pricing, it was a huge steal.  It is perfect for my .223 WSSM. 

< id="smartswipe_doc_changed__id" style="display: none ! imant;" smartswipe_uniqid="86001daa-334e-4238-9eb3-dc602f0f4efe">

Edited by supertool73 - September/21/2010 at 19:17
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 19:23

RT

Which model is yours or which type Vortex is it the VIPER?
No one
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 20:39
Originally posted by brencat brencat wrote:

Guys, with the current SWFA sales, I can get into a Vortex Viper 2-7x32 for $170 or even a 3.5-10x50 for $240.  Have always wanted to try one of these, but no dealer near me in NJ stocks them so would be sight unseen purchase.

These look like incredible deals for the money, but how do these scopes compare with a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 for $400 (which I currently own)?  I figure the Zeiss will be better, but $160 to $230 better I would doubt.  Assume the glass will be mounted to a standard .243 or .270 hunting rifle.

Thx for the help, B

ive got a 2x7, its sitting on my .375H&H. if it was a piece of sh*t it wouldnt be there. i understand your apprehension to buying without looking, but i can tell you that its a kick ass scope.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 20:40
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

i will agree with super, its not quite a zeiss, but for the price difference its close enough.

plus, i wouldnt lie to you bro you know that.Wink
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
akula88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akula88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 22:19
How thick comparatively would THREE offered reticles - V-Plex / Versa-Plex C3 / Dead Hold BDC over the Z-Plex of Conquest?

Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 01:13
I own the 6.5-20X44, the 6.5-20X50 and the 4-12X40 and i'm more than happy with them. I also made a blind purchase on the first, but the price tag really convinced me. Once i Bought the first I couldn't stop myself from buying more. In fact, I'm so impressed with them that I pre.ordered a Viper PST
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 06:17
Originally posted by akula88 akula88 wrote:

How thick comparatively would THREE offered reticles - V-Plex / Versa-Plex C3 / Dead Hold BDC over the Z-Plex of Conquest?

the c3 is pretty thin compared to the z-plex. brady had pictures of the vortex reticles somewhere on this forum.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Folically Challenged View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Folically Challenged Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 07:07
My eyes notice a difference in the glass, but it's not stark.  The Conquest is a touch sharper.  If it makes any sense, my eyes sense a sort of blue tint from the Conquest, &  slightly green one from the Viper.

If it was the same tube, and just different glass, I'd pony up the $ for the Conquest.  However, I like the layout & weight of the Viper, in my case, a 2-7x32.  Dunno why I think the magnification lever is so cool, but I do.

When the Viper was $100 more, I thought it was a solid value, but I had pretty much gone to the 4x32 Conquest on my centerfires.  When they dropped to the $175 range, I had to go buy another.

I notice a difference in the view, but I don't feel as if I've sacrificed or compromised, especially not at the going prices.

FC
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 07:18
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Originally posted by akula88 akula88 wrote:

the c3 is pretty thin compared to the z-plex. brady had pictures of the vortex reticles somewhere on this forum.

Originally posted by Brady Brady wrote:

Ok the first two are the 2-7BDC on 2x and 7x. The next two are a 3.5-10x50 on 3.5x and 7X. We don't have the 2-7BDC in stock for the pics. As far as strictly comparing the reticles it doesn't matter.

Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 12:22
TOOK THE PLUNGE HAVE ONE ON THE WAY...

Thank you for the input it does help...

Thank you BRADY(for listening to all the things that really don't matter)...

I will post once mounted side by side with...

I hope it is as good as everyone says...

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - September/22/2010 at 12:24
No one
brencat View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brencat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 14:20
Again, thx for the replies. Can anyone answer my follow up question on the eye positioning sensitivity on these Viper scopes ? 

As a comparison, I find Leupold (once owned a VXII) to be the most forgiving and best in this characteristic, Sightron was horrible (image blinks out at the slightest off center move), and Zeiss Conquest and IOR tactical both of which I own are average to pretty good. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic