OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What does it take to make the perfect rimfire scop
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What does it take to make the perfect rimfire scop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centaur 1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 18:42
The exit pupil size does need to be 4mm or greater. Since I'm only looking to use my .22's at short ranges, a 1.5-5X20mm scope would still give me a 4mm exit pupil size on full power. If I need more range I'll be using my .17hmr instead.
csacpt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csacpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 21:55
As usual, just looking around and thinking. I know, dangerous thing for an unsupervised "grasshopper!" LOL

That being said, I have an old(almost as old as me) Remington 511 that needs some glass for these old eyes. Mount would need to be figured out since it has no provision for such. Having just purchased one of the Vortex 2-7x32 c3's, it seems that might be a really good choice. What say you, the experts?
Better to die on your feet than live on your knees! "Ready and Forward"

M14 - Forged in Freedom - Proven in Battle
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2010 at 08:05
I really like this little 2-7. It is compact, very clear, with non-critical eye relief. The only concern I would have is that its parallax is set for 100 yards. But - parallax does not appear to be a much of a problem for this scope. if you have a repeatable cheek weld it should do very well imho.
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2010 at 08:30
Bman - here is my list:
- under $300, a touch less would be better (most of us use 22 rifles around that price)
- very light and compact
- non critical eye relief (so that it's easy for our kids to use)
- maybe AO, or, if not AO, not very parallax sensitive
- very clear glass in the center, edges would be less of an issue
- good control of flare
- decent lowlight performance (often used for varmint control in the eve.)
- imho long erector, 5x or 6x if possible, maybe 2-12, because you do use the rifle on very small critters a bit far away, and, of course, close by when you need to mount and shoot very fast
- quick reticle with a couple of holdover dots or marks for deadholding quickly, including a lateral one for windage. The Vortex C3 reticle with a couple of addl dashes below the circle would be ideal, imho.
- enough adjustment that it can work on a 25 moa base so as to be able to go on dual use (plinking/ range) rifles if needed

I also see a need for a radically different scope, for trainer/ range use. That one would be for long range 22LR work, which is exploding all around the country right now, where you want to simulate very long centerfire range using cheap ammo. 10 years ago, there was almost nothing like that, now many ranges offer it everywhere and a lot of people do it. For that, you want a larger scope of course, but maybe not all the way to 50mm (it's really big on a 22). My list for it would be:
- around $300
- can see 22LR bullet holes at 200 yards
- 8-24x40, or higher magnification, must be usable on the high end
- fine reticle
- very clear glass in the center
- chromatic aberration or poor edge glass would be fine, since it is a range scope only, flare would need to be decently controlled
- no worries about low light since range work, but would need to be clear enough for most daylight conditions to see bullet holes at 200 yards
- large amount of adjustment, at least 70 moa in elevation, can work with a 25 moa base

Of course a single scope that could do both would be great but I don't see this happening in the next 25 years:-) Mo2c.
TimW View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2010 at 10:39

Nikon needs to come out with a good variable power scope.  I prefer 4-16 power myself and was looking for something similar to the Buckmaster in which I'm totally happy.

1.) Clarity of the lenses. 

I've had 16 power scopes (enough magnification) but the quality of lense sucked.  I had more clairty in 4x Leupold.
2.) 4-16 power in either 42, 44, or 50 mm lense
3.) 1 inch tube 
4.) Appropriate crosshair.  Something along the lines of fine duplex.  I personally don't care a lot for the mildot in a 22 rifle.  To much clutter for me.
5.) Side focus--down to at least 25 yards.
6.) Tough scope weight and length under control

bman940 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bman940 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2010 at 21:43
From what I have gathered thus far, consensus is 1 in. tube, 3-12 with side focus to 25 yards, obviously quality lenses as well, which means coated . 42 seems to be most thought of as objective but a fair amount like the 32. Not being to big and heavy for a 22 rifle is a big concern. About even on fine cross hair and BDC, which I have used on a 22LR with success because of Nikon's Spot On Program giving me the correct distances for each circle with my load data. Most have said they want it for plinking, some for hunting, mainly something reliable and repeatable. All for under $250. 
Tim, Thanks for your input. Nice to hear you are happy with your Buckmaster.
Check out the SPot On site Tim, it'll help you with data for your scope even if it is not BDC.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic