OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

DPMS SASS and the Zombie Hoard...which scope?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DPMS SASS and the Zombie Hoard...which scope?
    Posted: September/20/2010 at 20:35
So, in my quest to remove some firearms and optics, while upgrading others, am looking for opinions on the best scope for my SASS in .308 with an 18"barrell.  Pretty much the sole purpose of this rifle would be in the defensive side of things, be it like Red Dawn or the Zombie Hoards .

I find myself hem hawing between a few items, as like many I have a champagne taste with a beer budget.  Trying to keep it the best bang for the buck, and would like to stay under $800.  With that in mind, here are some I am contemplating:

SS 3x9 (top choice, is glass almost as good as HD?)

SS Fixed 6 or 10 power (concerned fix limits the semi auto capability should the zombies breakthrough inside the 100 meter barrier I erected)

Vortex Viper PST (would let me get the zombies in case they attack at night with the FFP and the illum reticle, but certainly not as tested as the SS)

Well, I know budget and equipment that you depend your life on dont mix well, but considering a zombie attack is doubtful (but will for sure be caused by George Bush according to MSNBC), what would you do?  Enquiring minds want to know....
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 21:22
I would go the SS 3-9, but thats me, tried and tested, durable as hell. Great optics
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 22:27
+1 on the SS 3-9 FFP - have one on my M1A and its a great little scope.  It will eventually be replaced but by a USO 1.8-10 ... whole different league.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 10:08
Is your SASS a real SASS?  Shooting suppressed or not?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
greywolf View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greywolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 10:17
I am finding more and more that good optics with excellent coatings and a good reticle (SS 3-9) beat out illuminated reticles quite often for low-light performance.

Case in point - I took out a jackal in Namibia at 100 yards, at night, with only the weak headlamp of an old Suzuki 4x4 for light - used a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with #4 German reticle (not illuminated) - it did the trick just fine, impressing my PH so much I ended up having to give him the scope as a tip at the end of the hunt - he still uses it daily and at night and it works great.  The SS I think may even be a little better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 10:59
I use illumination many times to improve shot quality, especially when putting rounds in areas of high shadow and at low mag on FFP reticles.

I will agree that, with another illumination source, many good conventional scopes work fine; however, under moonlight only, illumination will determine if a shot can be taken or not.

If you do a fair amount of night hunting, you need illumination.  If you are hunting dawn and dusk for deer, no problem with having good glass w/o illumination.

Definitely DO NOT sacrifice glass quality for illumination, that is a huge fail.

Any and every good SHTF rifle need an illuminated reticle, in my opinion.  In a real world bad time, the worst among us don't spend the nights sleeping.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 12:54
Its the DPMS SASS, not surpressed.  As far as real, its the actual one they sell as a configuration if thats what you mean.  Looked at getting suppressors after I moved to Colorado, but have heard its still a huge pain to get them here.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 13:23
In your price range, hard to beat the 3-9 SS.  The PST might be awesome, might suck, no way of knowing just yet as they are not out and probably will not be prior to end of year.  You do NOT want a fixed power scope on a SHTF rifle.

In your $$ equation, don't forget mounting hardware, that will be an additional expense.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - September/21/2010 at 13:24
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 17:10

I'm a cheap bastard and plan on using rimfire stuff on Zombies. "Got to clarify, if they are Romero type Zombies, if they are the revved up ones like 28 days later, I'll hide in the bunker till I have to go"

The way I see it a SHTF rifle ought to be something that you can carry a lot of ammo for. Rimfire ammo sure does pack easy. Big Smile "and it's cheap"  I personally wouldn't want to be shot with anything and if you pull a red rider on me I'll put my hands up. "those things sting"

With your budget and rifle I'd get the 3-9 Super Sniper. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 21:45
I wonder how many 22 rounds it would take to annoy a zombie?

Thanks for all the input, leaning toward finally taking the plunge on the SS 3-9.  Im the kind of guy who HATES paying full msrp for a scope.

Can you guys raise the price to 699 and then have it on sale for 599?  Would make me feel much better.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 22:49

JLud..... Aim small, miss small man. Big Smile

Right tool for the job.

50-175 yards rimfire

<50 yards AK47, 9mm carbine, or Glock

175+ yards  .30-06 , .308 , .243 or just shake my wiener at them till they are closer. Snake

Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 00:29
Originally posted by JLud JLud wrote:

Vortex Viper PST (would let me get the zombies in case they attack at night with the FFP and the illum reticle, but certainly not as tested as the SS)
We could very well have a SHTF scenario before Vortex gets the Viper PSTs back on the shelves.Peeker
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 08:15
J... The Sample list is your friend...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 09:52
+1 with the sample list Break Dance
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 22:03
I think ill just get a hi point 9mm uzi type pistol and slap a BSA on it.  That would be a surefire configuration for when my life is on the line Big Grin
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 22:20

My Hi-point jams a lot less "1 time in 3500 rounds of use" than my friends Colt AR. Hiding

Buy whatever makes you happy man. Thunbs Up

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 22:44

lol didnt mean to bust on em, never had one.....just kind of the small uzi type things like chuck norris would wear...dont think could hit crap with em

neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 23:27

I didn't either till I bought one. One ragged hole at 50 yards. Bang for the buck it's way up there. If you ever find yourself in South Texas I'd be happy to let you play with it. 

I'd love a DPMS SASS and if Santa reads the posts here Christmas List I've been pretty good this year. I do have 2 .308's, but shoot about 100 rounds a year of .308 due to cost. Once I get the kids out of the house I'll buy the gear and start reloading and likely shoot more centerfire. "other than stinky surplus ammo for the 2 AK clones and gummy 9mm stuff for the Hi-point and my glock" My 92FS doesn't like the wolf 9mm so it gets left at home most of the time. 

I know you can't polish a turd, but with the right accessories, the Hi-point ain't too bad.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic