OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New SWFA 3-9/Dumb Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New SWFA 3-9/Dumb Question
    Posted: September/20/2010 at 18:08
Just received my SS 3-9x42.  Is it supposed to come with no literature at all?  If so, is there something that I can download?  I'm a quick study but I need something with which to study.  Thanks.
Mike
blacktails View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blacktails Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 19:21
I think they might still be working on writing them, even though Chris posted this last November.
You should probably contact him to see where it stands.

Originally posted by Chris Farris Chris Farris wrote:

We're working on instructions now.  Once we finish you will be able to download them.
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 20:43
Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!
surfhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 20:52
Originally posted by Ed Connelly Ed Connelly wrote:

That's exactly how I looked.
Mike
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 21:16
its kinda self explanatory, any questions just ask and we will all pitch in to help. Maybe we can get a detailed thread going we can sticky for users?  Chris? 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 21:23
You should get a Mil-Dot master. It is a must have help you learn how to use the mil-dot scope.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 21:24
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

You should get a Mil-Dot master. It is a must have help you learn how to use the mil-dot scope.

you mean guessing dont cut it?Bucky
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
surfhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 21:40
I've got the Mil-Dot Master on the way.  After playing with the scope a bit it seems pretty simple.  Rear adj. for magnification, top elevation and right for windage.  Just don't like to take any thing for granted when I get something of quality.  Dumb Question #2: Are the clicks supposed to be audible or just tactile?
Mike
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 21:44

Its more feel than audible.  at least this is the case with mine.

surfhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 12:45
Got an email from Dan with SWFA saying that they're working on a PDF file.
Mike
surfhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 12:47
After thinking about it, audible clicks might be cool in the movies but not so cool in a real life application.
Mike
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 12:51
Glad they got back to you so quick.  you'll love the scope, not heard of one personwho hasn't.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 12:53
Audible clicks are good, trust me.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 12:54
The two SS 3-9's I've had in hand have been audible, but not overly so.  Perhaps as you use it, the sound will become more apparent.  I can easily hear them if adjusting while addressing the rifle. 
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
surfhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 14:37
That leads to another dumb question (I'm noticing a pattern).  If the clicks aren't audible does that mean there is a problem?
Mike
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 14:50
is there no noise at all coming from it?
surfhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 14:56
I'll check it when I get home this afternoon.  Just got it last night and had to go to work so didn't play with it that much.  I'll update in a few hours.  Thanks.
Mike
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 16:10
Sometimes the new ones have grease in the turrets not yet spread evenly, and that can make the turret clicks less definite.  Spend about 5 minutes spinning the turrets all the way up and all the way down (good to count the clicks the first time and know how much elevation and windage adjustment you have.)

That has always fixed the inaudible clicks with mine.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 17:13
+1 with RC,great info,always count the clicks on both turrets & set them in the middle berfore you begin zeroing!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
surfhawk View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote surfhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 22:46
Counted the clicks and set for mechanical zero.  249 total clicks of elevation and 256 of windage (which I'm assuming you never come close to using).  If I did my math right that's just under 90 MOA of internal adjustment. Yippee  OK, shouldn't have used the happy/jumping dot until someone checked my numbers.  Just proud of myself for having the patience to count all those clicks.
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic