OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

An optics encounter...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andoerin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: An optics encounter...
    Posted: September/19/2010 at 07:39
So I was making my way through the optics counter at my local sporting goods store, looking at good optics like Zeiss and B-Elites and Leupolds when I mentioned the VX-L at the bottom of the case. It was red tagged for 600 bucks. I told the guy that usually I don't buy leupold as I think you pay a lot for the name, thats when he let me know that this particular optic was red tagged, meaning they were an extra 25% off. Now I was actually interested! 

My initial impression was that the scope was amazingly lightweight for a 50mm objective. It was 4-16 which is my preferred magnification range for this objective. The optics were as crisp as I have seen, in fact I couldn't believe how nice they looked. I will admit I'm a newbie to good optics and I have only looked through a few scopes over $500, but I was very impressed. I looked at a sign at the far end of the store in the lowest light I could find and it looked better than with my naked eye. It looked similar to the Zeiss. 

This is the fun part. I was pulling out my wallet to lay the good old buy now and think about it later card when.... My wife showed up. When she saw the tag of 600 on the scope I think she almost took a sh*t right there.Whacko Needless to say I backed out of a scope going $200 Dollars under retail. - Pound Head - I told assured her that I would go back and pick it up tomorrow and, If you do that I'll divorce your ass!" ... so here is my question? Would the papers be worth that crystal clear beautiful glass? Bucky

J/K I like her enough to try and keep her around, I guess I will just save my pennies till March and really piss her off in a year or so with a Nightforce!

andoerin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andoerin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 07:47
Opps I meant to say after I told her I was going to pick it up tomorrow, she told me she would divorce my ass. Guess I botched that one big time. 
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 07:57
Well, just like Brad Paisley sang..."I'm gonna miss her when she's gone". LOL. Just kidding. Sometimes the gals just don't see the priorities correctly. Tread lightly son. BTW, welcome to OT!
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 08:46

Welcome

I feel your pain man. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 10:21
Welcome to the OT!

So heres what you do,go on Tuesday & forget about it,this way she won't devorce you as you didn't go the next dayWink
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 12:14
Pray that she'll do something like my wife did...buying a $6000 piano without telling me. I told her when the gun room's value hits that amount, I'll stop buying without asking first. Big Smile

Seriously, what you could do is offer to part with something else, painful as it may be.
Reaction time is a factor...
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 14:49
Simple! Don't let her have the combination to the safe. She will never know. Unless she is the one in 10,000 that gets up at 4:40 am when you leave to go hunting. Not likely!
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
qball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 15:03
Women come and women go, but good optics at a great price are forever.  
P.S.  Tell her how much you saved by getting it.
I wouldn't be paranoid if everyone wasn't out to get me.
martin3175 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 19:01

You'll holding it for a friend .... It was a gift ..... free promotional item ..... creeidt card just happen ot fall out on the counter , and the salesperson rang it up by accident ... You tripped and it fell in your shopping cart ... It's her anniversary gift ( after all it has a gold ring on it )

JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 19:30
Yeah, I would agree with the "Honey it was on sale, couldnt afford not to get it!" routine.....my wife uses that one all the time, so it should register with her. 
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 21:38
its easier to ask for forgiveness, than for permission.  then again its just a vxl, nothing special.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 21:48
Isn't $600 about the normal price here at SWFA?
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 22:28
Go find the highest price you can on that scope online. Print the page and show her that and the reciept explaining what a great deal you got. She will get over it eventually.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 13:49
Here's the deal that has worked for 48 years (so far) of our marriage.  I like guns, and she likes jewelry.  We each bought what we liked, and kept the dollar amounts pretty even. 

Lately, she's gotten into shooting and concealed carry and I've been selling off guns I don't use.  We're still pretty even, but now some of the guns are hers!

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 13:54
"stealth purchase"

my wife gave me some crap one time about the guns, I asked her to name one item she owned she could get her money out of...  I told her I could do that with any gun I owned, in a day.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 13:57
I'm gonna read between the lines here, if you really wanted the scope you'd have it.  Using your wifey getting mad at you as and excuss, I'll go along with that Wink
Scottyman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scottyman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 15:55
 Would she really notice it on top of your rifle?  
 Besides, who's money is it? If you can go w/o, you know, for a few days or weeks, buy it!

Maine? Where's that?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 16:53
Well if shes a good woman, I don't think it would be a good decission to devorce her over a Leupold. Now if it were a Zeiss, I'd miss her.

If it was my first wife, I'd swap her for a Tasco in a blister pack and never look back.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2010 at 21:21
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Well if shes a good woman, I don't think it would be a good decission to devorce her over a Leupold. Now if it were a Zeiss, I'd miss her.

If it was my first wife, I'd swap her for a Tasco in a blister pack and never look back.
.Excellent ROFLMAO
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/21/2010 at 18:03
So the consensus is in. It looks like you get the scope, or you are a whiny, kitty whipped  A$$ Hiding behind your wifes skirt for an excuse not to be a real man. Whacko
The audacity to embarrass himself in front of his peers like this.

Edited by 3_tens - September/21/2010 at 18:05
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic