OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optics for a Saiga 308

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optics for a Saiga 308
    Posted: September/17/2010 at 16:26
I'm looking for something for a 21" barrel Saiga 308. Realistically this is probably between a 2-4 MOA gun so I'm thinking a high power scope with amazing glass would be wasted on the platform. The range I go to maxes out at 300 yards so the majority of my shooting would be between 50-300. I'd like an optic that is fast to pick up for shorter ranges with a fairly unobtrusive reticle so I can get more precise if needed.

Right now I'm trying to decide between an Aimpoint/Eotech with a 3 or 5x magnifier on a flip off mount or a 1-4x scope (ie Millett DMS, Konus M30 etc). Which do you guys think is the better option? Seems like most of the 1-4x scopes have small 20-28mm objectives. Does anyone find this limits the field of view too much or makes the scope hard to find quickly? I have a TruGlo on there now but I'll be giving that to my dad when he picks up his 7.62x39

Pic included for great justice-

Saiga 308
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 17:09
Objective size does not have much to do with field of view.  They are 20-28mm because that is as big as they need to be to transfer the proper amount of light through them. 

Personally I would get the 1-4x.  I am not a big fan of the red dot type scopes.  Tried a few and I much prefer a 1-4x.  If you can afford one the Trijicon is the bomb. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
PONIESWHEE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 17:27
Thanks for the input, man. I've heard great things about the Trijicon, however it's a little beyond me.  Including taxes I paid $550 for the gun so I'm setting that as my absolute limit on the optics. Leaves me in the Vortex 1-4, IOR fixed 4x range at the top end. If I get something cheaper like a Millett it'll get me a bunch of ammo on top. I've never used a low power scope but I do like the quickness of red dots.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 17:32

You might be a bit surprised with the Saiga if you shoot decent shells through it. I have 2 and even with surplus ammo they both group pretty decent. 

A good scope for the money would be the Timberline from Burris.

http://swfa.com/Burris-3-9x32-Timberline-Rifle-Scope-P11002.aspx

The glass is clear and bright and it's a good size fit for your rifle.

If you like a dot sight, might look at this scope. I bought one off the sample list and like it a lot.

http://swfa.com/Hawke-15-6x44-Eclipse-30mm-Riflescope-P41112.aspx

Much cheaper than an Eotec and magnifier, and again, bright clear glass.

Really think you'll like the Saiga.

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 17:36

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest looking at accessories through these guys. 

http://www.mississippiautoarms.com/

I outfitted both my Saigas with Tapco stocks and bought magazines "surefire, the cost a little more, but fit a lot better" from them.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 17:41
Objective lens has nothing to do with field of view.  If anything, it is easier to engineer wide FOV into a smaller objective scope. 

I have a Saiga in 7.62x39 and for some time I had a 1-4x24 or similar scopes on it.  In terms of bang for the buck, Hawke Endurance 30 1.25-4.5x24 is quite good (bottom of the picture):

For more money, there are several good 1-4x24 scopes.  Vortex Viper PST promises to be very good, but it is unlikely to be available until the end of the year.

Aside from that, Bushnell Elite 4200 1.25-4x24 is pretty decent, although more expensive than the Hawke.

Millett DMS-1 is a decent enough scope (I have a couple), but the quality has been hit and miss lately.  I compared it to Hawke Endurance 30, and Hawke was appreciably better.

ILya

VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 17:42
2-4MOA....hmm...I remember the Russian buddy of mine shooting 1MOA groups at 50 yards with his Saiga using .308 Norma ammunition couple of years ago, OPEN SIGHTS!

If hunting is the only application, I'd go with a low power scope, 4x or 6x. Vortex and Nikon are worth taking a look. Compact scope will also help you to keep some weight down.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 22:53
Glad to see some fellow Saiga shooters out here :)
The Hawkes do look like a decent value. I take it the difference between the Endurance and the Eclipse lines are just in the glass? They seem fairly similar otherwise. Am I mistaken or is that company that is assembled in China out of Italian components? I could be thinking of someone else.

Though it's not a variable I'm also considering the IOR since it would just feel right having a Warsaw Pact optic on my commie rifle. :P
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 23:04
Hawke glass used to be made in Japan[Frontier series] but as of the last 2 yrs.glass is comming out of China.The scope is assembled in England!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 23:08
Forgot to add If Ilya is using & recommending the Hawke 30,that's probably the way to go!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2010 at 19:28
Went to the range with the TruGlo : /  I guess it's a 5MOA dot which was way too imprecise for what I'd like to do with the gun. Shot 60 rounds and only a couple landed outside of a 4 MOA group, so maybe my gun shoots better than I give it credit for. I think what I'm going to do is suck it up and get a 2-7 or 3-9 to see what the gun will do with an actual magnifying optic. I'm thinking the Viper 2-7. We'll see when the next paycheck comes in.
NonniHerkall View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NonniHerkall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 02:56
I got a .308 Saiga as well and started off with a 3x cheapo scope. Right now I am waiting on my 3-9x42 POSP to arrive and later on I am getting something with even more zoom on it. I have shot about 400+ rounds now on 50 to 130 meters and that thing is accurate allowing me to make smiley faces on the targets. And my Saiga is the 16" barrel so I can imagine how well yours shoots. My plan now is to get me a 21" Barrel .308 Saiga next and rig it up with a high power scope. I love the AK platform for many reasons. My main reason is that I am active duty soldier and would never buy the garbage uncle Sam makes us carry in combat, the AR platform has been flawed since day one but being able to buy an AK platform rifle now chambered for a solid good round like the .308 is just awesome. Beretta is also on the bottom of my wish list, had to carry that thing as well in Iraq with me but got myself a Glock 21 SF for a reliable personal defense weapon. My rule is, if a grain of sand can make it jam, then don't buy it because that grain of sand will do that when your life depends on it.
Beware of the Hamster wheels, they tell you to go run in them but it will get you nowhere.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 10:28
Good choice on the 2-7 vortex Poni!

Nonn,thank you for your service & everthing your family did as wellExcellent
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/19/2010 at 10:33

Saigas are built in the same factory, by the same workers who make the Dragunov.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragunov_sniper_rifle

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2010 at 22:13
Got my Viper in and got it mounted and sighted in last week. This scope is in a completely different league that the glass I am used to. Very clear and bright and the turrets actually do what they say they do Big Grin
Thanks for the advice, guys. Getting my tax refund shortly and my next project is going to be either Remmy 700 SPS or a Savage Precision Carbine. Definitely coming back here for optics when the time comes.

Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2010 at 00:07
This thread made me have to buy a saiga, already converted it , just trying to decide on an optic for it now. Birthday this weekend hmmm. Sorry to jack the thread. Anyone know if SWFA still has any of those 2-7 Vipers in stock?
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2010 at 17:08

Howdy Dave.

Welcome

Dunno about in stock on the Vipers. They are a nice scope and a great deal right now. "you might have to wait through a back order if you want one" 

I think you'll be happy with the rifle, I love the 2 I have and will get more when the budget allows it. 

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PONIESWHEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2010 at 18:48
When I ordered mine it only took 5 days to get here so I'm guessing it was in stock. I got the BDC reticle.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2010 at 05:11
Yeah, called them this morning and they had all three different reticle styles in stock, so I ordered one. Just remembered it's 5 am and I just got home from work from yesterday so I guess that was yesterday moring, should be here today, I live in Texas so it's kind of like having auto overnight with UPS.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic