OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Leupold CMR reticle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Leupold CMR reticle
    Posted: September/16/2010 at 08:27
Got this PR sent to me, figured you guys might want to see it..
I asked for and received a detailed reticle image with substensions..

Leupold’s® Tactical Optics Division introduces the CM-R2™ reticle, which allows tactical and competitive shooters to quickly and accurately estimate range and engage targets.

By combining the ranging ability of Leupold’s Special Purpose Reticle (SPR®) with the quick acquisition of the Leupold Circle Dot reticle, the CM-R2 provides the flexibility necessary on the modern battlefield or 3-gun course. The CM-R2 preserves the instinctive fire capabilities of the Circle Dot for the short-range, low magnification needs of the 3-gun competitor or CQB warfighter.

The CM-R2 is designed to allow the shooter to focus more attention on the target and less attention on the reticle. A boldly illuminated 0.5 MOA dot surrounded by a 5.0 MOA semi-circle enhance the shooter’s focus and combine precision with speed when the target is up close and personal. Hash marks on the horizontal stadia are calibrated for leading moving targets at 5, 10 and 15 mph, respectively. Vertical tic marks allow users to estimate ranges based on 18” wide targets at increasing ranges, while also providing precise holdover points for targets between 300 and 900 meters.
“The CM-R2 reticle makes our battlefield-proven Mark 4 MR/T® and CQ/T® line of riflescopes even more versatile,” said Kevin Trepa, Leupold’s vice president of tactical sales and marketing. “American warfighters and civilian shooting enthusiasts alike will enjoy the fast-ranging capabilities of this reticle.”

For optimum results, riflescopes with the CM-R2 reticle should be zeroed at 200 yards using M855 5.56mm NATO/.223 Remington ammunition producing a muzzle velocity of 2,810 fps with 62 grain FMJ bullets.

The CM-R2 is available in Leupold Mid Range/Tactical (MR/T) and Close Quarters/Tactical (CQ/T) riflescopes.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 21:25
Sounds like a very nice reticle. Leupold has made an effort in the area of useful reticles.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
dhdoyle View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dhdoyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 22:43
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Sounds like a very nice reticle. Leupold has made an effort in the area of useful reticles.

Yeah, it does look nice. Unfortunately, if you're going to tune a reticle to a specific load, you're going to have tradeoffs. Personally, it makes no sense to calibrate this scope with M855 ammunition. Seems to me that the folks that are going to scope a 5.56 in combat (especially a Mk 4 MR/T) will be shooting 75 grain Mk 262. The M855 ammo, although always available, is horribly inaccurate. I'd choose M193 (55 grain) over that stuff.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 09:04
Will this be an FFP reticle or SFP (or both)?

900 meters on an M855, kinda funny.  Maybe in space, sure; but down here, not so much.

I like parts of the reticle.  It would largely depend on scope power and FFP vs SFP.  I understand them trying to make an "all things to all people" reticle; however, scaling to 900 yard bullet drop is kinda the opposite direction of a 5 MOA donut reticle.  As is, it ain't ideal for CQB or long range.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 09:42
I talked with a Leupold rep about two weeks ago regarding this reticle and he stated that it will be a SFP offering.

Edited by Yak - September/17/2010 at 09:43
"Both of you peckerwood's can KMFA!!!" ~ Ceska
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 09:44
Originally posted by Yak Yak wrote:

I talked with a Leupold rep about two weeks ago regarding this reticle and he stated that it will be a SFP offering.

That was a poor choice, I'd say.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
snakeman48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snakeman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 09:51
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Originally posted by Yak Yak wrote:

That was a poor choice, I'd say.

For a Tactical use scope, I have to agree with RC on this.

NRA Benefactor Member.    Veteran; US Army 5th Corps 1970-1972

The only time in my life when I got to Rock-N-Roll, and the ammo was free!!
Yak View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2010 at 10:40
I'm no SME but...I like the reticle. I think it will be a good fit for the 1.5-5x20 MRT. What surprised me was learning that the reticle will be offered in the CQT (I'm still not a fan of it, though).
"Both of you peckerwood's can KMFA!!!" ~ Ceska
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic