OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Kahles 10X42 vs. Pentax 10X43

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcwill1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kahles 10X42 vs. Pentax 10X43
    Posted: November/09/2005 at 06:12

Hi,

I am ready to purchase a new set of binoculars, but I cannot decide on the the Kahles or the Pentax SP.  I have looked at the optical rating scale and it appears that users rate the Kahles higher than the Pentax SP.    I would like to know why?  For example, compare durability, warranty, and optical quality ( I can't tell the difference between the two). 

Thanks,

lcwill1

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2005 at 12:15

I own the Kahles.  It certainly appears to be of more durable construction for years of useage.  Warranty wise, I have registered mine, but never needed to use it.  I have never heard anything bad about the Kahles warranty system.  Optically, the SP does seem to offer a little better true color representation.  While the Kahles works noticeably better in low-light conditions.  If you are a hunter, get the Kahles.  If you are a birder, get the Pentax.

ranburr

gremlin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2005 at 18:09

I'm a birder AND a hunter.

I chose the Kahles for the same reasons as ranburr.

Unbelievably tough--I've put mine through torture tests (unintentionally; just clumsy) and they're as good today as the day I bought them off the SampleList.

Great low light response, excellent contrast in shadows, and tremendous, sharp center image that holds it's own out to 90% of the field of view.

Love mine, wouldn't trade 'em for anything new of comparable value.

Rusty View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2005 at 15:02

Pentax vs Docter

Anyone,

How would the Docter bino compare to the Pentax DCF SP for hunting?  Is the Docter better in low light conditions?

Rusty

ranburr View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranburr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/17/2005 at 20:18

The Docter is better in low-light conditions.  My only concern with Docter would be warranty.  But, they are so cheap now I would go ahead and get one if I wanted it.

ranburr

chasseur106 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasseur106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2005 at 20:49

Hello,

Has anyone tried, like me, to be happy without spending a whole new wad of cash on a pair of binocs? 

What I mean to say is, that until I get on this forum, I am quite content to use the two pairs of binoculars that I currently own for everything.  I have a Predator 8X30 Steiner, and also a Cabela's 12X50 and normally they do everything that I ask of them.  Then I get the urge to go to the local gunstore or check out what people are chatting about on this forum or that forum and I end up wanting to go and buy another binocular.   Except this time it would be one of the more expensive types..  I really want to just be happy with what I have, but I am finding that a hard proposition to keep.  If I were to buy another pair, they would be in the higher end of things for me, anyway, $800.00 + = not sure if I need them??

So I am going to be happy with what I have for a few more months, before I were to plop down $800.00 + for something that I cannot find a justification for owning.  I hope the rest of you do not get into this dilemma.

SEB

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic