OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I reload because

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Pick Why you chose to reload
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [21.74%]
18 [78.26%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I reload because
    Posted: September/14/2010 at 18:22
Gerald Baker
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 18:26
Well, I hit the Wrong button and posted it without finishing.

3rd option was
Just wanted to roll my own.
Gerald Baker
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 18:29
I must admit when I first started reloading economics was not a factor. The cost to get the equipment I wanted was a decent investment. With the cost of good ammo nowadays, I am glad I did. I had the money at the time years ago for the initial investment. Now I am glad I save money over buying and it definitely shoots better.  
Gerald Baker
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 19:12
I enjoy it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 19:33
While I appreciate loading better loads for about the same price as premium ammo (when I factor in my time), I never thought of it as a money saver. I shoot a lot of .22 rimfire and stocked up on surplus .30-06 back when it was cheap. I do save all that brass, however. Some steps of the process can be tedious but overall it's a relaxing, rewarding part of my shooting hobby.
Reaction time is a factor...
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 19:53
Not really much cheaper depending on what bullets you buy.  I do it for the accuracy, and because it relaxes me.  Some of it is tedious but worth the results.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 20:54

Really started (25yrs ago) for convenience.  It was so far to go to buy ammo(only ever shot 1 box of factory ammo in my .300). I could start hunting ground hogs right from the house plus 2 miles on either side of it.  It was NICE to be able go back to the house when empty,load up a couple boxes,and head back out.  Don't shoot as much now but since I've got the equipment I still reload for a few rifles.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 08:24
Both actually started for the precision and got the benefit of economy.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 09:40
I was always machanicaly inclined, ever since I was a child building rector sets so I guess this was a good step towards the big boy toys!

I enjoy the idea of making a bullet that fits a gun the correct way,1/10,000 off the rifling.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 15:25
I have always loaded for the savings, but accuracy is also a benefit. When ammo drops in price where it is cheaper to buy than reload, then I buy ammo and keep the brass. If I need really accurate ammo then I either buy match ammo (if it's cheap) or load it myself, most of the time I load it myself. I can match or exceed the accuracy of factory ammo, and do it for less.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 22:17
Both here too!  A box of Hornady super-performance 178gr in .308 is $32 for 20. 100 count of Lapua brass: 52 dollars average 10 reloads .052 cents per round. BR-2 primers $49 per 1000. Again round up, .05 cents per.  1lb of Varget $27 devided by 7000grs X 44.6= .17 cents.  100 count box of 178gr Amaxs $33 dollars.

SO
       .05 brass
       .05 primer
       .17 powder
       .33 bullet
       .60 cents per round X 20 $12 for the same amount of ammo of the same quality tuned to your stick.

Now I normally load 50 and shoot 44 rounds in match then plink with the other six. so I still spend $30 but I have four times the fun.

Edited: I know 4X the fun doesn't sound right but trust me I can prove it.

1.) once by reloading it.
2.) saving money.
3.) shooting over twice as much.
4.) being away from work for the time to reload and shoot.

LOL!   Told ya, 4X the fun.

Edited by Steelbenz - September/16/2010 at 22:21
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
hebertjb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hebertjb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 22:29
I cannot yet vote but for me it help me justify shooting more 45LC and 45acp.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 02:28
I am going to start loading again equally for cost and precision.  I've played around with a lot of commercial ammo over the years, and I can generally find something that will shoot 1/2MOA or better.  That said, it usuall takes a lot of shooting to do that, uncommon to pick up a box at the store and start grouping dead center.  Sometimes can't find same lot ammo, sometimes just can't find what I'm looking for and "make do". 
It is more difficult since my data book was destroyed because I don't have the detailed history of all my rifles/ammo anymore.  I used to be able to take a  commercial product and after some shooting with it, at least get some very good "Kentucky windage" results out of it.  I don't have that history anymore and rebuilding it is a lot more time and expense than loading my own.  I've been soul searching over this and I am going to get a turret press that doubles as a single stage and just stay with that.  It will suit my purposes. 

So, one might say, my wife and daughter FORCED ME to start loading again...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 06:42
  GOOD for them then!!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 14:50
I buy in bulk when I can, and I'm not above buying seconds, over runs, and pulled bullits. While I won't pick up brass off my local range unless I know the history (watching the ANG qualify) I will go to Law enforcement ranges and beg or trade for brass. If I buy a pound of powder, it's either to work up a new load, or because I can't find an 8lb jug of what I need.
The cheaper my ammo the more I shoot. Some of my best groups were shot with reloads using bulk components.
I'm a cheapskate, and I'm good at it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2010 at 23:48
For me its because its cheaper by a wide margine. The fact that I can taylor my loads to what shoots best in my gun is a cherry on top.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 06:12
Started for economy about 40 years ago with a lee hand loader. Use to go to the local gun shop and the fellow would sell surplus powder for $2 a lb if you supplied your own coffee can. Got my 1st press in college from a dorm mate for $15. Over the years have accumulated a pile of components so basically I'm trying to shoot them all up before I die. Really it's just habit. I do find myself just buying ammo now if I get a new caliber. The cost of components is so high that the economy of reloading is questionable if you don't shoot a lot.
scooter65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scooter65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 07:29
Originally posted by Steelbenz Steelbenz wrote:

Both here too!  A box of Hornady super-performance 178gr in .308 is $32 for 20. 100 count of Lapua brass: 52 dollars average 10 reloads .052 cents per round. BR-2 primers $49 per 1000. Again round up, .05 cents per.  1lb of Varget $27 devided by 7000grs X 44.6= .17 cents.  100 count box of 178gr Amaxs $33 dollars.

SO
       .05 brass
       .05 primer
       .17 powder
       .33 bullet
       .60 cents per round X 20 $12 for the same amount of ammo of the same quality tuned to your stick.

Now I normally load 50 and shoot 44 rounds in match then plink with the other six. so I still spend $30 but I have four times the fun.

Edited: I know 4X the fun doesn't sound right but trust me I can prove it.

1.) once by reloading it.
2.) saving money.
3.) shooting over twice as much.
4.) being away from work for the time to reload and shoot.

LOL!   Told ya, 4X the fun.

Where does the cost of the reloading equipment factor in?  How many loads does it take before the equipment has payed itself off?
Depending of course on how much you have invested.  What would the average investment be for a decent setup, 1k?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 07:40
Scooter, I have right at $400 dollars in everything I have including that used power dispenser.  Lee is very economical and while it may not be the "best" it is certanly serviceable.  I load 223, 308, 300WM, and soon the 7mm mag and 243.  Lee Deluxe Dies aren't that much either and while again they aren't the best they are certainly serviceable.  I have the turret but I never use it with the auto indexing rod so I have to manully rotate the turret as I need.  i have gotten great reloads out of them and get accuracy with them. 
Buying a bare minimal Lee single stage press kit and all the equipment to reload a certain caliber with, minus the components, you could probably be ready for less than $200.  If you go buy used from didfferent forums, you can have $1000 worth of reloading equipment for maybe 3-$400,
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2010 at 15:42
Ditto what svt said. All you really need to get good solid reloads is a press, dies, scale and a set of the little lee scoops. I scoop my loads into the scale and weigh each charge. The little lee hand primers are handy and cheap and I use the lee trimmers and a electric drill and it works well for me. Some judicious shopping on ebay should get you going for < $200. Truthfull a lot of the gadgets in the catalogs are not needed to turn out decent ammo.
If you are really on a budget the lee hand loaders are still around and can be picked up used for probably $15 bucks or so. I loaded a bunch of ammo using those things when I was younger and the targets and critters never seemed to notice the difference.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic