OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

16" AR15 Scope Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beelzibub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 16" AR15 Scope Help
    Posted: September/13/2010 at 20:45
I'm looking to get a scope for my new 16" barreled AR15 after a trip to the range with good ol' iron sights. Granted, I'm new to the rifle world so I'm sure I've got a lot to learn but anything further than 50 yards was very difficult to shoot accurately and with any precision. This has prompted me to look into magnification to hopefully have the ability to go out to 300 or 400 yards (and even further would be great).

I'm mainly going to be punching paper, but may get into some competition at some point (3-gun matches definitely look like a good time). I'm having trouble deciding what optic to purchase for my application. At first, I was highly interested in the Nikon M-223 line but as I researched further my opinion has drifted and I'm looking for help on what is recommended for my application.

The Nikon M-223 I was looking at is a 3-12x42 and it cost around $350-400 plus the mount, which was a good price range for my current budget. I then stumbled upon the Trijicon TR22 and really like that it has a lighted reticle and larger exit pupil at higher magnification, but I'm thinking it might be overkill for my particular rifle with the 56mm objective. What do you guys think? I'd be willing to spend a bit more money if I was going to get a lot more scope for my dollar, but I don't want something that has to be mounted so high that it's going to affect my cheek weld and comfort when shooting the rifle.

As far as magnification goes, when I was at the range my buddy brought his .30-06 hunting rifle with a 3-9 scope, and I think I'd like a bit more magnification than 9x. The 10x the Trijicon has is not much of an increase numerically, but I'm not sure how this would translate to the actual retical. Is the increase of 1 in magnification substantial? What magnification range do you guys recommend?

I've also looked at Vortex, Zeiss, Leupold, SWFA, and Bushnell scopes but can't seem to pinpoint the one I'm after. Any and all help is much appreciated!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 21:06
Does your ar have a flat top or a carry handle?  If it is a flat top then the 56mm will fit just fine with the correct height rings.  Something like the Burris PEPR or the LaRue 1.5 SPR mount will put them at the perfect height. 

If you were going accupoint I would go with the 3-9x vs the 2.5-10x.  For the sole reason of the weight difference.  The 2.5-10x is a very large scope and very heavy.

I have the Accupoint 1-4x on an AR and like it very much, very nice glass and the reticles are great. 

Edited by supertool73 - September/13/2010 at 21:06
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
beelzibub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beelzibub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 21:12
It's a flat top...I've noticed that most people are looking for a lower magnification 1-4x scope for their AR, but I'm looking for higher accuracy at longer range...at least until I can purchase a nice long range rifle...then things may change! Thanks for the suggestion...I'll keep the weight issue in mind.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 07:09
3x9 will do anything you need it to that an AR is capable of. 
beelzibub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beelzibub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 17:23
Any suggestions on what to look at?
gcp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gcp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 20:25

I know it's only a 4x and you desire higher magnification but the Leatherwood CMR on my 223 is simply fantastic. The SWFA 3x9 would also work very well for high accuracy, since that's what you're after.

gcp
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 07:54
If this is just temporary until you get a long range gun why not just try a BSA Sweet 223 with Burris PEPR mount.  Package deal for $115.  Thats what I currently have on mine and am shooting sub MOA easily!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 07:57

Wink

Edited by SVT_Tactical - September/15/2010 at 08:00
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 08:14
9/10ths my friend....9/10ths  Cool
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 08:16
I like that.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 08:33
Least you know where it is..... Wink

Come visit it anytime!
--Thomas Jefferson

beelzibub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beelzibub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 12:42
Now you guys totally lost me....
beelzibub View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beelzibub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 12:44
That seems like a great idea...what are the negative aspects of the BSA? Poor glass? Adjustment repeatability? Toughness?
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 13:51
Here is a Bushnell 4200 3-9x on one of my ARs with a SWFA SSALT mount.  I like the setup a lot, decent glass and a good mag range for that guns uses. 

Any of the following, Bushell 4200, a Vortex Viper, Sightron S2 Big Sky, Trijicon Accupoint, Zeiss Conquest, Super Sniper, in 3-9x would do you well.  THey are all good scopes, some a little better than others, but all have great features and are quality.

Edited by supertool73 - September/15/2010 at 13:54
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 14:06
Originally posted by beelzibub beelzibub wrote:

That seems like a great idea...what are the negative aspects of the BSA? Poor glass? Adjustment repeatability? Toughness?

Glass is less than desirable, adjustments where not accurrate, Fuzzy at high magnifications.......This was with the one I had.  Still worked but wasn't good for long term.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 05:53
LOL, sorry to loose / confuse you.  G and I were bantering cause my AR is really my lower and his upper right now while I shop for an upper.  Hey, I did give him visiting rights!

The BSA I have is pretty clear once adjusted right.  It's 6-18 mag and I use it at 18 most of the time. Granted it doesn't have the best glass in the world but for daytime paper punching it works fine.  I have no trouble seeing the 223 holes in paper at all!
It's only $115 with the $70 PEPR mount so and it will let you get a feel for what mag range you want on your keeper scope for $45!  The nice thing about the BSA sweet 223 is than the elevation knob is calibrated to the 223 round and marked in yards.  So, zero it at 100yds. then reposition the knob to 100 and your good to go.  you want to shoot 300yds dial it to 300 and aim dead on.

Like I said before it is a cheap way to get your feet wet and test the waters.
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 05:59
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Here is a Bushnell 4200 3-9x on one of my ARs with a SWFA SSALT mount.  I like the setup a lot, decent glass and a good mag range for that guns uses. 

Any of the following, Bushell 4200, a Vortex Viper, Sightron S2 Big Sky, Trijicon Accupoint, Zeiss Conquest, Super Sniper, in 3-9x would do you well.  THey are all good scopes, some a little better than others, but all have great features and are quality.

That looks sweet, Bro!  Is it a Mid or full length gas system?  Or did you go all the way and get the piston conversion?  That a bead blasted Hbar SS barrel?  Lastly what trigger does she have?

Sorry for all the questions!  I'm still shopping and formulating my upper!
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 06:18
 Listen to that Bud with his new AR talk.   Excellent

I know zip about them but I like the looks of that one.   Thunbs Up
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 06:49

Awww shucks!

--Thomas Jefferson

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 09:22
It is a mid length gas system.  It is a 6.8 SPC with a 16 inch White Oak barrel.  Sun Devil lower, Stag upper and carrier.  That is just a stock trigger in the pick.  It is now running a Timney 4lb trigger. 

Mid length is the way to go with the 16 inch barrel.  If you go carbine with the 16 inch they are over gassed and hard on parts.  It you go 14.5 then the carbine length will work well. 

Edited by supertool73 - September/16/2010 at 09:23

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic