OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Hello it's me

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello it's me
    Posted: September/12/2010 at 18:59
I thought I would take the opportunity to say hello to all of you, and thank SWFA for this forum. I have watched this forum for years without getting on it. I first found it to learn about scopes when I decided to get into shooting. Currently my shooting consists of shooting from the bench out to 300 at the range, and shooting steel at a farm out to 500. 

Anyway, I am from Lexington, Kentucky, where I work in construction. Shooting rifles has been a passion of mine since I was a little kid and as I get older I am trying to get into pistols and shotgun. I am a simple man when it comes to my toys. I own 1 rifle a Savage FP-LE 308 win with a 20 in barrel. It has a SS16 on it. I own a Springfield XD 45ACP. Last but not least I have a Remington 870 12 g. I spent 6 years in the Army Reserves as a Combat Eng. 12 Bravo.

She is not fancy but does a good job. I would like to get her a new stock soon.

This is some groups out of her at 100 yds on a very calm day. Combined Technologies 155g Silvertips, 43g Varget.

I do not consider myself an authority like many of you on here. Thank you all for the education you have given me over the years.

Nice meeting you.
Gerald Baker
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 19:26
One clarification on those groups. Those are not my typical groups. That was a very good day for me.
Gerald Baker
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 20:34
good day or not practice is what keeps you better so these groups becomes normal.  Good shooting! 
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 21:12
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

good day or not practice is what keeps you better so these groups becomes normal.  Good shooting! 

That is the goal.
Gerald Baker
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 21:50
Keep it simple..nice groups...and THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 22:11
Thanks Getsome, but that was years ago. 16years ago lol.

Edited by 308 Sav - September/12/2010 at 22:12
Gerald Baker
hunterwingler View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterwingler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 15:09
Welcome to the OT
I wasn't upset about the black cat crossing my path this morning but mouthing "your fu@#ed" as he passed was just rude.

If Guns kill people mine are all defective
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 15:32
Great shooting,I would be happy with those targets anyday!
The gun doesn't make the man,the man makes the gun.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 16:55
Welcome to the OT 308 Sav. How bout them cats?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 18:08
Go Cats C A T S cats cats cats lol
Gerald Baker
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 18:11
What neck of the wood you from BeltFed?
Gerald Baker
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 22:35
Beware the man that owns one rifle,  he's usually proficient at using it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 07:59
Originally posted by 308 Sav 308 Sav wrote:

One clarification on those groups. Those are not my typical groups. That was a very good day for me.

Welcome to OT O'humble one!!  Wink
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 16:23
Oh trust me. Learning how to shoot properly has been very humbling and continues to be as I still learn. Nothing like shooting 2 in one hole then getting excited and bam! Why did I squeeze the trigger then?  

I am actually trying to get away from grouping. I am trying to concentrate on consistently hitting a 1 moa target each pull of the trigger once. Then move to the next target. I feel that is more challenging and more real world.

Gerald Baker
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 18:29
How are your groups out at 200-300-400 & 500 yds with the same gun?
These extended ranges is just another way to improve those magical groups,would'nt you agree?

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 18:58
Groups at 200 are between 3/4 to 2 in depending on the wind and me. 300 gets tricky. I have yet to get a group under moa. I seam to stay right outside it. Never shot groups past that, because I have never set a target to do groups at the farm I shoot at. He has the steel already set up there. I would like to do this next time I go.

Yes taking those groups out farther brings on a whole new element the !@*%$&* wind lol. Got to love it. I actually love taking it out further when I do get the range to do it. Love shooting steel half man silhouettes at extended range. 

Gerald Baker
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 21:40
Hi 308 Sav - Your post must be one of the nicest I have read in  a long time. Nice to meet you!
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 05:02
Well thanks West.
Gerald Baker
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 16:22
Originally posted by 308 Sav 308 Sav wrote:

What neck of the wood you from BeltFed?
I'm between Ft Knox and Looneyville. Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!!
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic