OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Leupold 4.5-14x40

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 22:39
Personally I don't know, that is what two of my friends think I should get.  One has that exact scope, just have not had time to see for myself what the deal is with it, the other has a vari x3 that he sent back and had the target knobs installed on....they both are Leupold guys and that's why I came here for advice.  If it is the best scope with the options that I would like then I probly won't be dissapointed with it, and I may wind up with it still....from what I gather the mark 4 has a little better glass than the new varix3...which I don't think is that bad(I have used alot of low budget scopes over the years)...I just don't want to buy it and be reading this forum 3 months from now and some guy comes in with the same situation as me and then be reading about a great scope that I overlooked.....
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 23:02
i would take a look at it since you know somebody who has one.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 23:34
Hoping to hook up with him Saturday after he gets back from hunting...I just have no knowledge of quality optics and nothing to compare it to.  
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 23:38
Originally posted by GetSome GetSome wrote:

....from what I gather the mark 4 has a little better glass than the new varix3...
The Mark IV's use the exact same glass as the V3's.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 18:00
How do you feel about a fixed 10 power scope?
SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS10X42HD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
  • HD Model
$799.95

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 18:15
I think I would be pretty comfortable with this IOR
IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope Illuminated MP-8 Dot IOR 4-14x50 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 414530
  • Matte
  • Illuminated MP-8 Dot
  • 30mm
  • Exposed Knobs
  • Side Focus
$1,099.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 23:48
Thanks for the input Uri, but the 10x is not what I want, and the IOR is out of my reach at this point..
So that leavs.....
Sightron SIII 6-24....don't like the 6 power on the bottom but if it's a good scope then still an option.

Zeiss conquest 4.5-14...probably enough adjustment good glass, but plastic turrets.

Bushnell 3-12x44 ffp 4200  Will the FFP reticle  cover smaller targets at extended ranges on 12x

Leopold 4.5-14x40

I'll keep scrounging reviews and see if I can learn something.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 06:21
i think kenton makes target knobs for the zeiss dont they?
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 18:51
I just checked Pyro...they do make them for the conquest  Cheers  good lookin out.

Ok..my buddy needs a new scope for his 300 Win., so I think I will order the 3-9 S.S. and mount it for him, It would be a great chance for me to check this scope out too.

Edited by GetSome - September/14/2010 at 19:03
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 20:22
why not, kill two birds with one stone.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 01:02
I wouldnt be a bit shy of buying the Sightron SIII with 6x on the low end. I use two fixed 6x scopes and two fixed 10x scopes for most of my shooting.  One of my boys got on a coyote at about 50 yds with his 6-24 but I just dont think the 4200 has enough internal adjustment for what you are wanting to do, his is on a .223 so about where the bullet runs out of get up and go the scope runs out of adjustment.  Both the 4200 and the SIII are very nice glass.  
Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite 4200 30mm Rifle Scope 12x Mil-Dot Bushnell 6-24x50 Elite 4200 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 426245T
  • Matte
  • 12x Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
$699.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/15/2010 at 01:03

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 23:12
Ordered the S.S. 3-9 today for friends gun, should be here tuesday, pretty excited about it,  Still thinking about the sightron 6-24.....I hunted last deer season with a Leupold  6x and although I didn't mind the 6 power while walking or pushing, I was pretty nervous when we went to rattling horns, these blacktail up here come in like someone lit a fire under them and they don't stick around but a second if they don't see a buck ( didn't have any come in to horns last season) anyway stuck a 3.5-10 on my deer rifle for this season, my biggest problem with the Leopold was that 80% of the time the scope was fogged worse than I had ever seen...even tried some anti fog wipes to no avail.  Thanks again for the solid input Uri and everyone else also.....
Have any of you had any dealings with Sightrons CS, and was it fair?

Nice pic Uri

Edited by GetSome - September/15/2010 at 23:17
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 00:56

my biggest problem with the Leopold was that 80% of the time the scope was fogged worse than I had ever seen...
If your scope is fogging I'd definitely go with the Bushnell Elite 4200 series in 6-24x40 or 6-24x50.  The Elite series has RainGaurd on the exterior lenses and rain, fog, snow...whatever kind of precipitation you're hunting in just beads up and runs off your lens, leaving you free to acquire a crystal-clear sight picture and take your shot.  That RainGaurd works so well some of the high-end Euro scopes have applied their own brand of RainGaurd to their scopes (i.e., Zeiss and LotuTec), they just call it something else.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 06:17

Ordered the S.S. 3-9 today for friends gun, should be here tuesday, pretty excited about it,  Still thinking about the sightron 6-24.....I hunted last deer season with a Leupold  6x and although I didn't mind the 6 power while walking or pushing, I was pretty nervous when we went to rattling horns, these blacktail up here come in like someone lit a fire under them and they don't stick around but a second if they don't see a buck ( didn't have any come in to horns last season) anyway stuck a 3.5-10 on my deer rifle for this season, my biggest problem with the Leopold was that 80% of the time the scope was fogged worse than I had ever seen...even tried some anti fog wipes to no avail.  Thanks again for the solid input Uri and everyone else also.....
Have any of you had any dealings with Sightrons CS, and was it fair?

Nice pic Uri

i wouldnt use a scope with a 6x lower end for hunting anything but paper.

as far as sightron goes, there cs is as good as leupolds and vortex's, some of the best in the biz in that dept.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 22:47
Point's taken gentlemen, thank you.

GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2010 at 23:16
Urimaginaryfrnd, you are happy with your Leopolds...right.  I think I remember you posting that you had several mark4's and you liked them.  If I am correct, how does the glass compare to Bushnell 6500 in your opinion.
MikeMiller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 13:47
Hey, if something I wrote made you think the 3-9 is not a good scope for 0-600 yard hunting, its bad on me. It works great for that.  Out to 600 unless you are shooting at tiny things parallex wont be an issue and if you place your head in same cheek weld spot every time its no big deal to 1000 yards either.  I used a fixed ten Leupold Ultra M2  ( no longer available)for many years without parallex adjustment and had some fantastic groups at 1000 yards
Its easy to blame equipment but for hunting this scope will serve you well.

Sorry if anything I wrotte was confusing but only folks who really ned parallex adjustment are long range ( 600 plus)precision shooters.  Hunters dont need it.
Mike
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 14:08

I see the OP should have a 3-9 SS in his hands by now but here is another review on the scope

I would not hesitate at all, like Mike says, to take the 3-9 out to the extended ranges.
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2010 at 23:43
So the S.S. 3-9 arrived yesterday...took it outside and browsed some hills with it, and was very impressed.
Pulled it out of the safe after work today and bam..saw this...its on the objective end..

Can't even tell it's there when you are looking through the scope.
Sorry about the crappy pic, but it looks like a cut in the glass, I will be calling S.W.F.A. tomorrow and see what they say about it.

Mike Miller...thanks for the great review, and I am not worried about the scopes capabilities, I am worried about mine at this point, and I can't wait to get a 3-9 S.S. mounted and really check it out.... just looking through it while in my hand I was pretty impressed.
Hope to have one on my 25/06 for next hunting season.

Edited by GetSome - September/22/2010 at 23:44
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2010 at 07:50
hmm thats interesting 
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic