OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

scope for 25-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jckflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: scope for 25-06
    Posted: September/10/2010 at 21:35
I have new ruger 77 in 25-06, I need some help on purchasing a scope. I need a all purpose scope, deer to coyote. Would like to spend in the $500.00 range.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 21:41
3-9 mag range.  Zeiss Conquest, or if you could do $100 more, I highly recommend the SS Variable.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 21:44
 SUPERIOR minds think alike,Andrew.  I was just getting this together.

WELCOME to OT,j!!  Hard to beat this for an all- around scope:

Edited by 300S&W - September/10/2010 at 21:46
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 22:13
My mind might be superior, just not sure in what areas that might be.  Big Smile

To me the 3-9, 2.5-10, or 3-12s make the best all around scopes.  jckflash, did you have a preference in mag ranges?  What type of reticle did you want?
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 22:21
 +1 !
jckflash View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jckflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2010 at 12:36

A friend of mine has a burris 4.5-14x42 fullfield Lrs ballistic plex on a rockriver varmint rifle, we shot targets at 3-500 yards. I liked the scope, I do not think I will be shooting at anything more than 500 yards.

thanks,
jck
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2010 at 15:08
The  25-06 is a very capable caliber it has even been used to take Elk with good success. I know I would either go one of two possible routes.  The first would be a fixed 6x42 and there are two of those that I like the Leupold FX3 with long range duplex and the Super Sniper 6x42 which has tactical knobs to dial in correction for distance.  A fixed power scope is usually tougher than a variable and it is always the same you know what it will be like when you bring it up to shoot it will be bright in low light  where other higher powers with a 42 mm objective will be darker in low light.
I like to be able to dial in correction using target / tactical knobs because I shoot at multiple long distances. The other feature I like is an illuminated reticle and while several manufacturers have them I like the Trijicon which uses tritium and fiber optic so there are no batteries to go bad at the worst time.  I think you can work with fixed or variable that have as high as 6x on the low end and still be OK.  The variable 3-9 super sniper has some very unique advantages as it is mil mil FFP.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
  • Matte
  • Long Range Duplex
  • 1"    <=====<<<
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
$429.95
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Mil-Dot SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95
Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR232G
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$1,039.95
Since you have a ruger you may want to stay with a 1 inch tube as rings in 30mm are spendy so you may also want to look at the Zeiss scopes and Burris is way behind all of these and not even in the same class a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 would be  better than the Burris you mentioned and a similar Zeiss would blow both of them away.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/11/2010 at 15:30

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2010 at 15:24
Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope
Rapid Z 800 Zeiss 4.5-14x44 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - 5214309972
  • Matte
  • Rapid Z 800
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$874.95
Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Multi-X Bushnell 4-16x40 Elite 4200 Rifle Scope
Stock # - 424164SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard
  • Side Focus
  • Free Fleece Pullover (Mail-In Coupon)
$499.95
Balistic reticles work only at one specific power usually the highest power where dialing in correction with target knobs works at all powers. When it gets dark you have to dial down to about 6x to brighten the image.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2010 at 22:09
Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 $499.95 @ SWFA
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
cj17 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cj17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 01:15
Vortex Viper 4-12x40 and you can buy a second for a backup and still be on budget.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2010 at 08:07
Originally posted by cj17 cj17 wrote:

Vortex Viper 4-12x40 and you can buy a second for a backup and still be on budget.

+1

That's what I just put on my Tikka M695 .25-06.  It is a great combo.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
jckflash View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jckflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 15:05
thanks for your help, one question, on the 3-9 conquest, how far out will the picture be clear for coyote's 300yards?
jckflash View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jckflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 15:08
how far out on the 3-9x40 conquest, 300 yards for coyotes?
thanks
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 15:26
 Not exactly sure what your asking but hitting a milk jug at 300yds on 9X is doable for sure.  Especially using a scope with the resolution and brightness of the Conquest.
jckflash View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jckflash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 19:01
I will try to be more clear, based on your suggestion and a couple of others I am pretty convinced the 3-9x40 conquest is the way to go. my question is what would be the maxium distance for the scope say for coyote. I am old now and have not shot a rifle in  55 plus years, at one time I had the steady hands,nerves and eye sight. I am moving to nothern arizona, in some areas i may be shooting 300 and may be a little more. with the 25-06 I am sure I have enough gun, just want to be sure I have enough scope, after that it is up to me to get it done. where I live now there is a 300 yard rifle range, once I have all the equipment, rifle, scope, spotting scope, range finder,shooting rest, etc. then it is time to go pratice. I know when I order the scope I own it, so I want to make sure I have the correct scope. thanks again
jck
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 07:30
 I can appreciate your concern about getting the right scope the first time.  If you were to get a scope that is of equal all around quality as the 3-9 Conquest but of a higher top end magnification I would say it's possible you would like it better but it will cost more.  I'm talking at least 12X as 10X is just not that much over 9X. But as you increase magnification,stability of the view through the scope becomes more sensitive to your movements which can be a problem for some when sighting on small targets. Only you can decide if that may be a problem for you.  Any way you can try out someones hi magnification scope to see what you think?  One thing to remember is that a higher quality scope of less magnification is better than a scope of less quality but more magnification.  The sharper and brighter the image is,the easier it is to hit it. 
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2010 at 09:21
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

I can appreciate your concern about getting the right scope the first time.  If you were to get a scope that is of equal all around quality as the 3-9 Conquest but of a higher top end magnification I would say it's possible you would like it better but it will cost more.  I'm talking at least 12X as 10X is just not that much over 9X. But as you increase magnification,stability of the view through the scope becomes more sensitive to your movements which can be a problem for some when sighting on small targets. Only you can decide if that may be a problem for you.  Any way you can try out someones hi magnification scope to see what you think?  One thing to remember is that a higher quality scope of less magnification is better than a scope of less quality but more magnification.  The sharper and brighter the image is,the easier it is to hit it. 
That couldn't be more true but with that being said there are a couple of other options that would go verry well on your 25-06 and stay within your budget. The first is the 4-12x40 Vortex Viper. I have one of these scopes and it would complement a 25-06 verry well for western hunting (including coyotes). The other is what sits atop my 25-06, a 4-16x42 Nikon Monarch. This rifle is my primary Antelope rifle and the Monarch is a good solid scope with good glass. As I have said other places the Monarch has a "softer" image than the Vortex but I prefer it in bright daylight whereas the Vortex seems to do better in those first and last 30 min. of legal shooting light. Either one would be a great choice and the Vortex is 40% off of the standard plex version right now. One of the knocks I often hear on the Nikon is the lack of W/E adjustment but in reality if the scope is on a hunting rifle 40 moa is plenty to get you out to 500-600 yds. Is it a scope you would want on a 1000yd target rifle? Probably not, but I don't think that is what you are going to be doing with it.

Edited by biggreen747 - October/10/2010 at 09:39
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic