OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Wilson Combat AR15 trigger

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wilson Combat AR15 trigger
    Posted: September/10/2010 at 15:44
Anyone using one?

$270, it better be pretty flip'in sweet.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 16:15
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Anyone using one?

$270, it better be pretty flip'in sweet.

Tagged for responses. I too am looking. 
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 16:22
Coffee
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2010 at 16:59
Tagged for interest. 
2 Samuel 22 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2 Samuel 22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 13:49
I can't really speak to the new Tactical Trigger Units but I do have experience with the JP trigger/hammer group that came in a Wilson UT-15.  It is the same trigger Wilson uses in their SS-15 Super Sniper and it is absolutely outstanding.  It is a crisp and light single stage trigger break and quick reset.  There is no take up or slop at all, very smooth.  It breaks somewhere around 3 lbs.

I have read great reviews on the new TTU and the remarks are very similar.  I'm not sure what all is different between the JP and the TTU but I'll send them an e-mail and see what they have to say about it.
Semper Paratus - Semper Fidelis - Semper Vigilans
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 14:40
I have seen several positive reviews of the new trigger from Wilson.

I like the self-contained nature, but won't be swapping out the match triggers my ARs already wear.  When they break, maybe.
2 Samuel 22 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2 Samuel 22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 16:09
Not a very detailed response but this is what I just received Wilson Combat regarding the differences between the JP trigger and the TTU:

The TTU will remove and reinstall quickly and easily, the JP trigger group is lots more labor intensive to move around.

Semper Paratus - Semper Fidelis - Semper Vigilans

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 17:54
The Wilson "unit" is self-contained, no little pieces to fly out when you start pulling pins, I do like that.

I hear they break clean and crisp.  Sounds like a good product, but hard to justify $270, as I see it now, anyway.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 18:40
Ccoker uses one, if memory serves me right.  You can PM him.

ILya
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 19:02
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

The Wilson "unit" is self-contained, no little pieces to fly out when you start pulling pins, I do like that.

As is the Chip McCormick, AR Gold, and Timney AR trigger units.

I haven't tried the Wilson unit, but I have the AR Gold unit on my AR, and it's very nice.  Very crisp, around 3 lbs, and extremely short reset.

Edited by RifleDude - September/13/2010 at 19:02
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 19:18
All true.  Which, again, leaves me curious as the the price tag.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 20:23
Well, I'm going for this trigger in a few weeks.    
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 22:24
My buddy who does a lot of matches swears by the Geisselle triggers
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=999069  I only have one of the SSA model in a .308  http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=247530  but it is a very nice trigger. My other triggers are Rock River Match and a stock colt trigger large pin that  totally sucks so sometime when I get around to I want to put a better trigger in.  Let me know how you like the Wilson model.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/24/2010 at 22:27

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2010 at 23:30
I was looking very strongly at the Wilson trigger. But after reading JP's comments on modular triggers I am wondering.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.1_ezt.php

I really really like the trigger in my JP AR. But the trigger in my Wilson Combat Classic is also very impressive(But that is a 1911).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 09:18
You mean this??

Unlike other firearms that were designed from the ground up to incorporate modular fire control packs, the AR-15 and AR-10 platforms were never designed to work with such modules. The possible runout in trigger/hammer pin hole locations and safety selector position on receivers made by countless manufacturers can cause potential compatibility and even safety concerns.

The module always represented a compromise in some respect. We’ve come to believe that most modules are not suitable for anything other than recreational or competition applications, particularly since you can’t optimize a module for a specific application. Moreover, modules simply do not have an extended track record for reliability, and many have been recalled for reliability or safety issues.

In my limited knowledge, I fail to see how a module would be considered unsafe or unreliable.
Add to the fact that it's made by Wilson Combat, which makes some of the finest weaponry on the planet.

I might give Bill Wilson a holla and see if he can comment on this thread.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 12:01
Cheaptrick did you read the whole thing and watch the videos? I listed the link so that one would have the whole picture and not just something that may be taken out of context. (And yes I did omit the part about watching the video in my earlier post.) What was most interesting to me was the comments about over travel adjustment. Which according to this should be different for different applications from the video at the top of the page. So how does one setting work for all applications? That is the main concern for me and what I was wondering about.

And as far as Wilson Combat products are concerned. Did you miss my comment on my Classic's trigger? And as a matter of fact knowing what I know now I very likely will not buy any other 1911 but a Wilson Combat. But as excellent as they are they do have some issues for me. I will not buy their adjustable tritium night sights again. They adjust very well but the tritium inserts are just not up to the standards of the rest of the firearm.

Lastly why does Wilson Combat use a JP trigger in their SS-15 Super Sniper Tactical Rifle? It is listed under features as having a JP Trigger/Hammer group.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/r_ss-15.htm

SS-15 Super Sniper Tactical Rifle Features:
Crisp 3 3.5# Trigger-Pull with JP Trigger/Hammer Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2010 at 12:35

No Sir, I didn't watch the video and yes, I saw that your a WC 1911 fan, as am I.

As an aside, I PM'd Bill Wilson and asked him to shed some light on this subject.
Out.    

Edited by cheaptrick - September/25/2010 at 20:18
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2010 at 10:43
I have one and love it
zero creep, zero over travel, instant reset

I have a Jewell in my LTR and the Wilson is every bit as nice

I think Bill probably knows a thing or two about what makes a good trigger :)

I also bet that the JP in the above mentioned gun has been replaced with a TTU

I had a Gieselle SSA and MUCH prefer the single stage TTU

anyone in the Austin area is more than welcome to meet me at the range and try it

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2010 at 15:58
Thanks, Coke. I'll be getting mine this month.
1911man View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1911man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/15/2010 at 15:42
Sorry for the delay, been super busy workin and huntin (-:

Per varioius comments here, we successfully used a lot of JP trigger units in the past and it is a good product for those who know how to install them. All WC rifles now ship with our TTU including the Super Sniper.

All components are CNC machined in Arkansas USA from the best steels for the purpose of the individual component. It is the best trigger unit we can make as NO corners were cut in design or mfg.. Many of the triggers on the market utilize MIM, cast and/or stamped parts. We feel we are producing the best AR trigger unit money can buy and as always at WC it's backed by our "you will be satisfied" service policy.
Bill Wilson
www.wilsoncombat.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic