OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper vs Bushnell 4200

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper vs Bushnell 4200
    Posted: September/10/2010 at 10:57
Opinions sought:
Assume that I can get the following scopes for almost the same price (to within $20),which would you choose and why?

1. Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-9x 40mm
2. Vortex Viper 3.5-10x 50mm

The rifle they would go on is a Browning Abolt in 7mm Rem Mag,which is currently sporting a circa 1996 Simmons (pre Meade) Whitetail Hunter 3.5-10x 44mm, which has finally begun to miss adjustments at the range. (It requires a good tap,or 1-2 rounds to settle any adjustments in). Still a nice clear scope and adequate,but I just might replace it since my experience with my new 6.5-20x 44mm Vortex has gotten me hooked on dialing in my range adjustments.

The rifle will be used for long distance deer and possibly elk hunting in the future, in all sorts of weather. The emphasis is on a big game hunting scope,that will need to be tough, enduring travel and poor weather conditions.
Does the Elite's great resolution,rainguard and tough as nails tube win out, or are the great turrets, bigger objective and warranty support for the Viper?
Sell me your opinion!

WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 11:12
The Bushness only has 50 moa. The Viper has 82. Is 50 enough for you?

On the other hand, the Viper 50mm lense for a walk&stalk (which is what I understand you do), that's bulky. I would not want to walk around in the bush with it for a whole day. My rifles are almost all walk&stalk, and I don't go for more than 40mm or so.

The Viper 2.5-8x32 goes for $170 right now. The 3-9x40 goes for abt $300. Imho, they are more portable and easier to deal with in the brush. But that's me - my 2c, not worth more :-)
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 11:55

Both are fine choices and the glass is very comparable, though I do like the rain guard on the Bushy.  I guess it boils down to either 40mm or 50mm and if the rain guard is worthy of the extra $.  Tuff descision....

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 13:27
Good opinions so far guys-keep 'em coming.

FWIW, 50 MOA (25 MOA up we'll assume) will get you to over 800yds with a 7mm RM,using a .400 BC 140gr BTSP bullet at 3100fps.
Hornady ballistics lists 20MOA of come up for 800yds,and 30 MOA for 1000yds with that load.

So adjustment range with either is fine.
Weight difference between the Vortex 3.5-10x 50mm and the Bushnell 4200 3-9x 40mm is 4.8oz.

pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 16:57
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

Both are fine choices and the glass is very comparable, though I do like the rain guard on the Bushy.  I guess it boils down to either 40mm or 50mm and if the rain guard is worthy of the extra $.  Tuff descision....

jeff im with you, i have both a 4200 and a viper. i think the world off both scopes for their price point, and quality in return. the rainguard works, i used it last year during deer season here, and it definitely works. if i would have had my viper then, it still would have been fine since they come with see-through scope covers. the eye relief on my 3x9 4200 sucks, and yet i put it on my .300wby cause i think it can handle the beating the wby will dish out, it was on my .375H&H but i put the viper on it instead.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 20:24
by a nose -- 4200 ( rainguard)
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 20:42
I have a feeling you will experience much better customer service with Vortex if something does go wrong...just a thought.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic