OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Boresnake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3PERCENTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boresnake
    Posted: September/10/2010 at 09:41
What are the pluses and minuses of using a boresnake as your main cleaning "rod". So my question is, are boresnakes only good for a quick cleaning when you're at the range or could it be used as your main bore cleaner? Reading how using a cleaning rod without a rod guide could damage your barrel makes me wonder if using only a boresnake might actually be better than using a rod without the guide.
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 09:57
Boresnakes are great for the quick clean after shooting. they will help clean out powder residue shortly after shooting. They will not however get out any copper fouling or really stubbor powder resudue. I use a boresnake for between when I use solvents etc. I would use one after your done shooting at the range, or in between shooting to get powder resudue out of your bore. If you are one that does not clean your gun until accuracy noticably falls off a bor snake might help extend that time.

For smoothbore shotguns they are a necesity if you ask me. I only clean my shotguns with solvents etc on occassion now. I always use a bore snake immediatly after shooting. If you wait too long the residue is harder to get out. Puts the shine back into the bore with one or two pulls through.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 09:58
All a bore snake will do it get ride of loose or easy to remove carbon buildup.  You will still need to clean from time to time with a rod, brush, and chemical to get your barrel clean. 

But for in between those times they work great.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 13:40
+1 with suprtool173.

I use them on all my .22lr & any gun I must go threw the bore with a rod,like my wheel guns!

Don't forget to wash them every few uses for a better clean!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 14:09
I started out with a boresnake and still have it around. However, when I got an M1 Garand, which, couldn't be cleaned from the action, I noted that CMP recommended and sold the Otis cleaning kit, which consists of a coated, braided cable used to pull patches through the barrel. I now carry that in the field in case of emergency blockages. I later bought a muzzle guide for the M1 so now use a cleaning rod on that rifle. The Otis cable is more compact, maybe a tad lighter, but if I didn't have it I'd carry around a CLEAN boresnake for the same purpose.

In the last few years I have never cleaned a rifle without using a bore guide and a one-piece rod, such as the Tipton carbon-fiber models. You can argue with what I'm going to say next, but please take seriously using a bore guide. Barrels have gotten ruined by running cleaning rods against the muzzle and even a cable or braided guide will cause uneven wear if allowed to rub against one side of the bore too often.

Here's the controversial part: Don't clean unless you really have to. Folks will argue that you should clean after every trip to the range or a day in the field and strip that bore down to bare metal. My experience has been that you should wait until accuracy starts to drop off. Think about it. Shooters that go to bare metal typically have to fire one or two foulers to get back to where they were last time they were shooting. Cleaning to bare metal just takes more time and will possibly wear the barrel faster. I find that with a relatively clean-burning powder like Varget I get 300 or more rounds in a .308 between cleanings. If you get a little debris in there that you can see, run an undersized jag down with a dry patch.

Much of the cleaning voodoo that has evolved over the years originated with the need to clean compulsively when corrosive primers were still in use. If you get ahold of some mil-surp ammo (Korean M2 ball comes to mind) then you'd better give that bore the complete treatment. Otherwise, even when you do a cleaning, worry about carbon build-up more than copper. Finally, there is one thing you really should clean more often: the chamber. Any crud build up there could result in inaccurate fire, stuck rounds and even a dangerous over-pressure situation.
Reaction time is a factor...
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 14:40
Originally posted by jonoMT jonoMT wrote:

I started out with a boresnake and still have it around. However, when I got an M1 Garand, which, couldn't be cleaned from the action, I noted that CMP recommended and sold the Otis cleaning kit, which consists of a coated, braided cable used to pull patches through the barrel. I now carry that in the field in case of emergency blockages. I later bought a muzzle guide for the M1 so now use a cleaning rod on that rifle. The Otis cable is more compact, maybe a tad lighter, but if I didn't have it I'd carry around a CLEAN boresnake for the same purpose.

In the last few years I have never cleaned a rifle without using a bore guide and a one-piece rod, such as the Tipton carbon-fiber models. You can argue with what I'm going to say next, but please take seriously using a bore guide. Barrels have gotten ruined by running cleaning rods against the muzzle and even a cable or braided guide will cause uneven wear if allowed to rub against one side of the bore too often.

Here's the controversial part: Don't clean unless you really have to. Folks will argue that you should clean after every trip to the range or a day in the field and strip that bore down to bare metal. My experience has been that you should wait until accuracy starts to drop off. Think about it. Shooters that go to bare metal typically have to fire one or two foulers to get back to where they were last time they were shooting. Cleaning to bare metal just takes more time and will possibly wear the barrel faster. I find that with a relatively clean-burning powder like Varget I get 300 or more rounds in a .308 between cleanings. If you get a little debris in there that you can see, run an undersized jag down with a dry patch.

Much of the cleaning voodoo that has evolved over the years originated with the need to clean compulsively when corrosive primers were still in use. If you get ahold of some mil-surp ammo (Korean M2 ball comes to mind) then you'd better give that bore the complete treatment. Otherwise, even when you do a cleaning, worry about carbon build-up more than copper. Finally, there is one thing you really should clean more often: the chamber. Any crud build up there could result in inaccurate fire, stuck rounds and even a dangerous over-pressure situation.
Excellent
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 16:18
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

All a bore snake will do it get ride of loose or easy to remove carbon buildup.  You will still need to clean from time to time with a rod, brush, and chemical to get your barrel clean. 

But for in between those times they work great.

Concur. 
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 17:02
I went away from too much scrubbing as well, although once in a blue moon, I do clean everything out of the bore.

Typically, at the range, I use Slip2000 degreaser/carbon remover, since it cuts powder fouling very quickly.  It is also water-based, so it takes out corrosive salts (I shoot milsurp rifles a fair bit).

After that, I make sure the bore is lubricated for rust protection.

ILya
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 18:11
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I went away from too much scrubbing as well, although once in a blue moon, I do clean everything out of the bore.

+1
I do all my intermediate cleaning with bore snakes. Once in a while, I clean deep with all the trimmings. After a few hundred rounds I definitely will find carbon and copper beyond what the bore snake has picked up.

I use Wipe-out at the range, then bore snake. Like Ilya, after intermediate clean-up I lubricate (Eezox). Then I put in some graphite (Lock-Ease) for my next first shot, for the next session.
3PERCENTER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3PERCENTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 09:10
Thanks guys, I just found out that Hoppe's now has a version of boresnake with 50% more bronze bristles, could this be an argument for boresnake only cleaning?

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 09:14
YOu need chemicals to remove everything.  A brush alone won't cut it.  But again it would work great for inbetween cleaning time.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
3PERCENTER View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3PERCENTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 09:48

I was planning on using chemicals also, like soaking the barrel with some copper solvent for about 15-20 minutes every once in a while before pulling the snake through.

What chemicals do you recommend using and when? Like what to use for a presoak and what to use for a final layer of protection on the snakes tail. I have a chrome lined 5.56 barrel.

WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 09:56
Wipe-out.

Check out 6mmBR - they surveyed their top shooters and reported on what they do to bore clean. Very instructive. Statistically, most common among them is:
- use Wipe-out, often with Wipe-out Accelerator
- use MPro-7
- don't clean super often
- use nylon brushes vs bronze
- don't use abrasive/ ammonia-based cleaners (or rarely)
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 09:59
This is another what gun is most accurate, what is the best scope, whats the best XYZ.... there are no best in this situation or question.  There are lots out that that work and work well, its a preference situation when it comes to cleaning solutions.  Some swear by those they've used forever others switch it up and dont' have a favorite.  Either way if the barrel is clean they did their job so if more than one will do that then there is no best.

IMO
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/13/2010 at 22:24

I always take a bore snake with me when I go out of state hunting.  Dip it in a little hoppes when I get back to camp and I'm good for the next day.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic