OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Concealed Carry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concealed Carry
    Posted: September/10/2010 at 07:37

Well I have a pocket full of cash from selling a few items here locally and I am wanting a new concealed carry handgun.   I had pretty much made my mind up to get a CZ P07Duty but there are no night sites for it availible yet according to the Customer Service at CZ.  Its not a deal breaker, and still may get it, but I'm sure in the next year or two if they do as well there will be some made.

My history, glocks, been there done that, have 6 still, just not my cup of tea.  carried a Sig229, Beretta 84,  4" 1911, Walther PPK, S&W 910, and a few others.  All good but I'm a carry one for a while and switch kinda guy.  I can shoot them all very effectively but I like the stable full or options.  I do want a midsize to compact. Don't want a small gun, the LCP i just sold was to small and the PPK was borderline.  When I grab it i want to know I have a firm grip on it and my hand doesn't swell over it.  I dont' care to much about caliper as long as its 380 or larger.  I can put it where i need it. I want light and reliable.

So, what do you guys recommend or what are you using? 

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 07:53
Like you I like to switch around,most times I carry S&W snubs,638 summer,640 in the winter.My favorite semi is a Springfield XD in 45acp.That gun has never let me down,I also have a sweet spot in my heart for my Springfield 1911,it seems to always pull my jeans down so most of the times I carry that in a shoulder holster.

I also like to carry 2 snubs at once,1 in the pocket & 1 in the ankle usingSpeer gold dot 135 hp.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 07:55
I do want a semi auto.  i am not a fan of a wheel gun and can't shoot them as well.  I do have that airweight i carry as a backup on my ankle but even that will be swaped out soon.  I just can't get the feel for it and my consitantcy isnt' there.
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 08:18

Since you already have a bunch, it's kinda hard to suggest. I am a Glock guy but you already said you have few of those... How about 9x18 Makarov? Reliable, concealable, built like a tank, and a great history...If you can find a true Soviet or W. Germany made, grab it without hesitation. If you change your mind, I will buy it!

Edited by VYD - September/10/2010 at 08:19
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 08:21
10-4  I'm going in the AM to a store so i may end up with one tomorrow or may wait  it out.  Impulse buys kill me sometimes.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 08:56
What caliber do you have in mind?
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 09:44
HK P2000 or P30 series
Springfield XDm
S&W M&P

If you index Glock naturally, these might not have enough grip angle for you. 

I tend to shoot best with 1911s and H&Ks (very similar grip geometry) so I don't stray from those too far.

Since you seem to be pretty full on guns, might I consider you treat yourself to a really nice holster?  Few things encourage effective concealed carry more than a holster built for you and your specific gun.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 10:12

Stick, not really set on a caliber, anything from 380 to 10mm or 45 doesn't matter.  

RC.  Any good holster guys you can recommend.  I know you deal with the heat as well so I want something cool.  My current setups all ride High and i like that to wear with t-shirts but am always open to change as well.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 10:37
I'm using a bobtailed Commander size 1911 in .45 ACP. Love it. BTW, it's a semi-custom Fusion Firearms model. Get em' made up to your own liking.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 10:46
Milt Sparks IWB are great, as are Kramer and Mitch Rosen (not inexpensive and you will be waiting awhile.)  I also like tucker gun leather but nothing from them in IWB.

Many of my holsters have come from Black Hills Leather but I think the economic slowdown has really hurt them, they are running slower than usual and missing their promised ship dates - with no notice (which really pisses me off.)

Most summer days I carry either a Milt Sparks Executive Companion or a Kramer IWB#3.  I have an Alessi Watch 6 in the mail now and will let you know on that.

I have several exotics from Black Hills, very nice stuff for a great price.

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/index.html
http://www.bhlstore.com/shop/category.asp?catid=207
http://www.miltsparks.com/
http://kramerleather.com/products.cfm?categoryID=1
http://www.mitchrosen.com/

Below are a few ostrich and shark from Black Hills.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - September/10/2010 at 10:47
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 10:57
Thanks RC I will check them out.  I'm like you on the glock grip angles, they aren't exactly natural POA for me so I dont' carry them anymore.  I just haven't cleared anymore out.  I did have over 10 of them at one time.  I might get a good holster and put the 4" 1911 in it and go from there.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 11:26
XDs and XDms have the same grip angle as the 1911 as well.  That is the main reason I got ride of my glocks.  XDs are one of the more reliable guns out there and they shoot well.  XDms have very high capacity as well, but they are a full size gun.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 12:05
One word to add to the discussion: a very good holster can make the largest gun disappear much more easily.  I frequently wear a full-frame 1911 under a t-shirt in the Milt Sparks, no problem.  Obviously, the "rounder" the individual, the more stress on the belt before the gun is added, the harder it is to accomplish this.  Be aware that carrying a large gun is much easier if carried in a holster that fits the gun and fits you and your purpose.

If it is made by Uncle Mike, any well-trained onlooker knows what you have and where you have it.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 12:06
Point taken. 
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 12:06
recently pick up walther pps for concealed carry   purchased gun on slim frame factor and adjustable back strap feature, recently measured gun in comp-tac infidel holster and it was slimmer than my hk usp . think i'll be happy with this rig for carry purpose

Edited by coyote95 - September/10/2010 at 16:30
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 12:08
How do you like the PPS? I've Looked at the PK380 as an option as well.
Bboy623 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bboy623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 12:10
SVT---I'm a glock guy too. You've said you've been there, done that, bought the T-shirt etc LOL
I know you said you thought the LCP was too small, but have you looked at the S&W "Bodyguard"?
It looks to be a tad bigger, PLUS it has built in laser!!! ANd you know everyone likes lasers for the "cool" factor! I mean Dr. Evil wanted sharks with laser beams attached to their heads!!!! LOL
It's a .380 like the LCP. Just a suggestion.

I don't know how much $$$ you wanna spend but I'll 2nd and 3rd the HK p2000, or HK P30!!!! Man those are SWEET guns. Pricey, but fits your hand like a  glove.
Another suggestion is a Walther P99. They fit nice too. They have 9mm and .40. S&W imports Walther but you probably knew that. From my understanding, all the 9mm are still made in Germany because they have the eagle stamp.

Holsters---I like Fobus. Holsters are to each their own as many people like different styles.

For me, it doesn't get much better than a glock in a fobus paddle.

Hope this helps bud(I've been having PC problems --reason I haven't harrassed you lately)---Bboy623

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 12:16
This is the holster I use for my 1911.  It is a great holster IMO, makes it very comfortable to carry.  I wish they made them for XDs

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Summer-Companion-Holster-Full-Size-1911-Right-Hand-15-Belt-Black-Leather/productinfo/SC1BLR15/

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 12:18
I also have this one.  It is a nice holster if you are after a OWB holster.  But for open carry I much prefer the Blackhawk Serpa. 
http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Lo-Profile-Holster-Full-Size-1911-Right-Hand-15-Belt-Black-Leather/productinfo/LP1BLR15/

Edited by supertool73 - September/10/2010 at 12:18

coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 12:20

i have wanted one sense they first came out finally got it  also had ppk at one time like it for hidden carry

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic