OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for a new Marlin 39A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Cayenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for a new Marlin 39A
    Posted: September/09/2010 at 12:01
Sorry to scope a lever but I really need to, can't see well enough to use irons or peeps.  I want to buy a nice scope, it will start on the Marlin and who knows which rifle it will eventually be on.  I'm also a firm believer in buying good optics, you get what you pay for in glass.   I've spent some time researching and I have it narrowed down to 6 scopes. 

Please feel free to give other good choices.

Leupold VX-I rimfire 2-7 x 28
Leupold VX-II 2-7 x 33
Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 x 36
Zeiss Conquest 1 3-9 x 40
Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly 3-9 x 40
BSA Sweet 22 3-9 x 40

Thanks
Frank
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 12:14
THe Zeiss all the way!
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 12:24
That's a nice little gun and, of the scopes mentioned, the Leo rimfire is the one I would get. It is compact and would compliment the 39.
For hunting the little Weaver 2-7 rimfire is a better choice. The reticle is heavier than the Leupold and the glass is better.
Doug
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 13:02
Any of the Leupolds. Zeiss is over-ratedBig Grin
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 13:04
Originally posted by VYD VYD wrote:

Any of the Leupolds. Zeiss is over-ratedBig Grin
Whacko
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 18:53
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

That's a nice little gun and, of the scopes mentioned, the Leo rimfire is the one I would get. It is compact and would compliment the 39.
For hunting the little Weaver 2-7 rimfire is a better choice. The reticle is heavier than the Leupold and the glass is better.
+1 2-7 is my prefered power range for a rimfire. It would be nice if Zeiss had a small 2-7 setup for 50 yd focus. Smile
How did the BSA get in that list?

Edited by 3_tens - September/09/2010 at 18:54
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
08Cayenne View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Cayenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 19:01
Thanks Everyone.
I've read good reviews on the BSA, if I go the economical route I think it would be a good choice.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 20:43
Sweet gun, I think something with a 32mm bell or less looks best on this type of rifle.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
rkingston View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rkingston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 21:01
Also might want to consider the 2-7 Vortex scopes. The last 2 .22s I have scoped both got the Vortex treatment. Nice optics for the money.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 21:32
Originally posted by 08Cayenne 08Cayenne wrote:

Thanks Everyone.
I've read good reviews on the BSA, if I go the economical route I think it would be a good choice.
Well that makes only one of us that thinks that is a good decision because I consider it a waste of money and would avoid it like the palgue. If you are low budgeting this optic go to the Weaver rimfire scopes and select one of them. If you can part with $300 then buy a Super Sniper 6x42 if you can spend more consider the 3-9x42 Super Sniper or if you prefer go with a Leupold or a Zeiss but the scope must have an adjustable parallax and pay close attention to how close it will focus as most rifle scopes are not good chices for rimfire guns that may see use at 25 yds or even closer.  Many scopes do not focus closer than 50 yds.   The Super Sniper 6x42 will focus down to 10 meters.  I had a BSA  last trip to the range that it went on it ended up in the trash can.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 23:54

I've owned several budget scopes, and of all of them the BSA's were the least durable, and none of them hit the same spot at low end magnification as they did at top end. 

You can do pretty well with a modest budget if make good decisions. 

It's a nice rifle, please don't top it with a BSA. 

Either of these would be a better option:

http://swfa.com/Weaver-25-7x28-Classic-Rimfire-Rifle-Scope-P600.aspx

http://swfa.com/Hawke-2-7x32-Airmax-Riflescope-P41162.aspx

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Parrothead View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parrothead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 19:37

I went through the same thing with my 39A about a year ago.  I ended up going with the Weaver Model 849398 Classic Rimfire 3-9x32 with A/O.  The A/O goes all the way down to 10 yards.  To my eye, it is compact enough to fit the look of the 39A while providing great performance.  A bit pricey, but your 39A is worth it.

WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 21:18
You might not be happy with the BSA. I think many of us have had bad experiences. I agree with the other posters.

Some good alternatives that might fit your budget and that, hopefully, you would not regret buying, are:
- $139 Sightron SI 3-9x32, 12 oz, good glass
- the different Vortex options that members were suggesting
     $170 Vortex Viper 2-7x32, 13 oz, very good glass
     $179  Vortex Viper 2.5-8x32, 14 oz, very good glass
     $115  Vortex Crossfire 2-7x32, 14 oz, OK glass
- $140 Weaver 2-7x28 rimfire, 10 oz, OK glass - perfect size for a rimfire
- $170 Burris Full Field II 2-7x35, 12 oz, good glass

I would feel good about pretty much any of the above scopes: economical but solid, quality, good value for the money. The Weaver will look best I think, but the other ones might be better hunting scopes.

But, of course, you can't beat the price of a little BSA rimfire... Good luck!
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 23:09
oops - take out the $179 Viper 2.5-8x32, it's a typo.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/11/2010 at 12:00
Weaver rimfire
08Cayenne View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Cayenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2010 at 20:46
Bought the Zeiss Conquest 1, mounted it tonight on Leupold low rings, fits nice.  Will sight it in this weekend.  If it doesn't work out I'll put it on my M21.
08Cayenne View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08Cayenne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/16/2010 at 15:50

I took it out this morning to the range. 30 degrees and 10-20 mph gusty winds, almost didn't go because of the wind. Shot at 60 yards, benched, on a hanging target holder, it was swinging pretty good, very poor conditions to sight it in. It took about 3 hours but got her dialed in pretty good. This is 120 rounds of CCI shorts. Shot at 5x. The trigger needs work, I've only put about 300 rounds thru it. 
The rounds low and right of the center were from sighting it in. I shot some at 100 yards and it held about the same pattern, probably about 2.5 MOA.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2010 at 07:58
Very cool - and nice pics! 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic