OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Again with a Dilemma

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Again with a Dilemma
    Posted: September/08/2010 at 14:30
I ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 FFP scope, but i´ve been thinking and i don´t know if a made a wrong descision regarding the magnification. I don´t know if the 4-16X50 FFP will fit my needs better.
I´m planning to mount the scope on my 7mm Rem Mag hunting rifle and I intend to make 300+ yd shots, but not every time the shot goes as we want it to. I don´t know if it´s better to be prepared with a High magnification scope for the ocasional Long Range Shot, and by Long Range i really mean it( 600+ yds). Or if it´s better to have a lower magnification scope such as de 4x for the ocasional short range shot (50-100 yds). I do go to the range often and I like practicing on long range targets. We have targets as far as 900 yds, a don´t know if the 16x scope will stand up to that task.

What would you guys do??

Do you think i should call the seller and ask him to send me the 4x-16x instead??

Edited by Kickboxer - September/08/2010 at 14:58
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 14:35
I would but thats me personally.  I wouldn't want anything more than 4X on the bottom of any of my hunting guns.
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 14:45
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I would but thats me personally.  I wouldn't want anything more than 4X on the bottom of any of my hunting guns.

I´m a little concerned about the FOV. it´s 17.8 vs 27.4@100 yds
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 14:46
I guess you have to ask youself how close would you ever be up on an animal or threat with the setup.......swinging around a 6x is doable but it isn't that fast.  then again is it going to be a lot fast than a 4X?  opinions vary.  Do you want to sacrafice the top end for a bit more speed and FOV?  only you can decide that.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 14:54
Mmmmmm. It really is  tough choice. I love the idea of the 24x for 600+ yd shots I´ll sleep over it and hear what the rest of the guys have to say.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 14:55
This is based upon what I would do... you, for your described situations, probably got "too much" scope.  4-16 should be more than adequate, I would probably go with 2.5-10.  10x is plenty sufficient to get you to 900 yards, 2.5 is good for the low end.  "Over scoping" is due to listening to the "long range shot" crowd.  Be a better hunter... get closer....
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 15:00
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

This is based upon what I would do... you, for your described situations, probably got "too much" scope.  4-16 should be more than adequate, I would probably go with 2.5-10.  10x is plenty sufficient to get you to 900 yards, 2.5 is good for the low end.  "Over scoping" is due to listening to the "long range shot" crowd.  Be a better hunter... get closer....

The thing is that Vortex doesn´t sell the Viper PST with that magnification with a FFP reticle. On the other hand I don´t feel confortable shooting over 400 yds with 10x. 
I´ve hunted for several years and i find more exciting the fact of making a Long Range Shot than getting close to the trophy.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 15:01
Your opening a can of worms.........Get Your Popcorn Ready
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 15:06

In 25+ years of hunting, I've never taken a shot at an animal over 400yds.  Yes it can be done and yes its the "fad", but I don't believe its ethical for the average hunter.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 16:32
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

In 25+ years of hunting, I've never taken a shot at an animal over 400yds.  Yes it can be done and yes its the "fad", but I don't believe its ethical for the average hunter.

I agree, but mine is about 325. There are too many variables with wind dope and excitement. And I can shoot head shots all day on steel at 500. That is just my choice. A cold shot no sighter, no warm up. I would stalk for a better shot or pass.
Gerald Baker
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 16:33
Don't be overly concerned by having 6X on the bottom end of your magnification range.  There are a bunch of guys on various forums that swear that a fixed 6X is the scope to hunt with.  John Barsness said if you can't find game in a 6X scope you aren't very good at pointing a rifle.

Edited by Magnumdood - September/08/2010 at 16:35
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 16:35
But I must add. In KY you have to intentionally sett yourself up for shots over 200 due to the terrain you will usually be in. Most places I hunt a 30/30 with open sights is all that you would need to be honest.
Gerald Baker
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 17:28
Can of worms opened. 

The maximum ethical shot on a game animal is the maximum range you are absolutely certain that your shot will make a clean and fast kill.

That distance varies by the shooter far more than it varies by the equipment choice.

I would speculate the maximum range of the vast majority of shoot-once-a-year hunters is 200 yards.

I would add that there are skilled shooters that can be absolutely certain of 800 yard kills every time under almost any conditions.

Who am I to judge what the ethical maximum range is for someone else?
-Matt
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 17:31
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Can of worms opened. 

The maximum ethical shot on a game animal is the maximum range you are absolutely certain that your shot will make a clean and fast kill.

That distance varies by the shooter far more than it varies by the equipment choice.

I would speculate the maximum range of the vast majority of shoot-once-a-year hunters is 200 yards.

I would add that there are skilled shooters that can be absolutely certain of 800 yard kills every time under almost any conditions.

This is very true.
Gerald Baker
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 17:32
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Can of worms opened. 

thats a very bold statement.  
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 17:42

[/QUOTE]

thats a very bold statement.  
[/QUOTE]

You are right, SVT, and only  a guesstimation.  However, I have seen some impressive long range marksmen.

To be sure, I was NOT referring to me!

Whacko
-Matt
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 17:46
I think ethically you need to get a close to an animal as you possibly can before taking the shot.  Thats the ethically thing to do.  Leave the "let me impress my buddies by taking a long shot" attitude on the range ringing steel or something.  No reason to change a sudden wind change or a flinch causing a wounded animal.  Bottom line those guys on TV that take shots at those 600+yds away and dont' try to get closer are dumb
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 17:50
I's have to think that anybody who would need more than a 14x for hunting would be an extremely unusual exception. In fact, I think that for a 300 yard shot 2x7 would be quite enough, and easier to carry. But, for long range shooting, if you have access to a 900 yard range (you lucky dog!), I could definitely see using the 25x (which would not, strictly speaking, be necessary for that distance).

I guess what I am saying is that if hunting is the primary purpose for this scope, 16x is plenty or even too much, and I am sure that you will do quite fine at the range with it. But if the range is the primary reason for the scope, and hunting is secondary, the opposite may be true. Although, of course, many people think that any scope over 14x or 16x is too much (Mr. Koshkin for instance, I think - if I am not misquoting him).

As for me, I would not consider anything above 20 oz (and if possible 16 oz) to hunt, since I walk and stalk with light rifles. My longest hunting scope (not for range use)  today is a 3x9, although I am considering buying a 2x12, just because -certainly not because I need it... But that's me:-)

If you really want a 6.5x24 you'll regret not buying it -  but I am sure you won't need it to hunt. Hard decision! Wish you luck:-)
neilbilly View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neilbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 22:57

I'm not dragging a heavy carcass any further than I need to. No No

I hear ya Bitter root, it varies by hunter. I'm pretty good off a bench out to about 400 yards, but that ain't hunting. I don't have the gear to do much more than 400 even if I had the skill. If I can't get any closer than 200 yards, well, that's why God made cows taste good. 

If God didn't want me to play with it, he'd of made my arms shorter.
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 23:28
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I think ethically you need to get a close to an animal as you possibly can before taking the shot.  Thats the ethically thing to do.  Leave the "let me impress my buddies by taking a long shot" attitude on the range ringing steel or something.  No reason to change a sudden wind change or a flinch causing a wounded animal.  Bottom line those guys on TV that take shots at those 600+yds away and dont' try to get closer are dumb

I think you're referring to The Best of the West on the outdoor channel.  They're far from dumb; they're selling a product, their Huskemaw scope.  They're pretty good shots too, and they definitely have a following.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic