OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Help: Eye relief experience on Burris TAC30 3-9x40
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help: Eye relief experience on Burris TAC30 3-9x40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help: Eye relief experience on Burris TAC30 3-9x40
    Posted: September/08/2010 at 14:09
First post on OT... I am looking hard at a Burris Fullfield TAC30 in 3-9x40. The nominal eye relief is 3.1" to 3.8", which is less than my other scopes. If you have a FF TAC30 in 3-9x40, can you tell me how comfortable the eye relief was on a rifle with a caliber such as 30-06 or slightly more painful?
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 14:33
3.1" on a .30-06 is getting close... it all depends on the load/rifle's recoil and your shooting position,
as some shooting positions will also get you closer to the scope.
Several members of the forum have Elite 4200s (3.3" eye relief) mounted on magnums and haven't reported a problem. YMMV.

Remington mounted a cheap scope a few years back on a "Big- Mart" special pkg and that scope had  less than 3" eye relief at 9x power. Crawling the stock on a .30-06 would bite you, even with a light load... I witnessed someone try to give themselves a new eyebrow with one of those rigs.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 14:37

Not the same scope, but same "issues"..

I have a Zeiss Conquest 4x32 rated at 3.5 inch eye relief mounted on my .458 Lott... quite a bit more "KICK" than 30-06.  No problems.  Before that, I had a Pentax Gameseeker 4x, which is now on my .458 WinMag, mounted on the Lott...estimated ER of 3.3 inches... NO PROBLEMS.  Anything in the 3 inch range on a 30-06 should be MORE than adequate...  IF you want the scope, eye relief should not be a determining factor on that rifle...
I've actually had the Conquest on my .50BMG.. NO PROBLEMS...
Make sure you hold your rifle properly and the eye relief should be AOK...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 14:43
 Specs that came with my Conquest 4x32 says 4" e/r,Dan.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 15:11
If you shoot or hunt long enough, sooner or later you'll probably get tagged.  I haven't been cut yet, but I been "touched" more than a few times.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
WestOfPecos View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 15:59
so true:-) I have been tagged enough to my taste... 
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 16:43
I have been taged and it was due to bad position rather than eye relief.
Gerald Baker
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 16:46
I am pulling the trigger on the TAC30:-) I'll report conclusions...
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 16:59

Thunbs Up   

And a pic of your mug to! Ouch
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 18:58
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

Thunbs Up   

And a pic of your mug to! Ouch

Before and after....

ILya
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 22:03
I can see you guys want some cheap entertainment:-) Here goes...

I actually talked to Burris TS to get more info on the eye relief - it turns out that (at least according to them), 3.1" to 3.8"is not how the eye relief changes as you adjust magnification, but the minimum distance interval where eye relief is not critical for all magnifications... Which means that the eye relief would be up to 3.8." 

I hope this is true - or I could really end up looking like this pic... In more handsome of course.

Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 22:07
Rats - the pic did not show.  It was previewing right though. No idea what I did wrong:(

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 23:41
Originally posted by WestOfPecos WestOfPecos wrote:

I can see you guys want some cheap entertainment:-) Here goes...

I actually talked to Burris TS to get more info on the eye relief - it turns out that (at least according to them), 3.1" to 3.8"is not how the eye relief changes as you adjust magnification, but the minimum distance interval where eye relief is not critical for all magnifications... Which means that the eye relief would be up to 3.8." 

I hope this is true - or I could really end up looking like this pic... In more handsome of course.

That makes sense- Burris scopes are known to have a great big eyebox;  hadn't ever seen their eyebox expressed in numbers before, though.
It seems all scopes are a tube- full of design trade- offs. As they optimize one parameter, they have to compromise somewhere else.  Maybe one of the experts around here could shed a little light...

Eye relief doesn't mean a thing when somebody scrunches up too close to the scope.
That "Remington" scope mentioned upthread had less than 3" eye relief at 9x and three of us shot that rifle and only one of us got bit when he crawled up on it.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 06:22
You have to have 50 Post to be able to post pictures.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WestOfPecos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/10/2010 at 07:42
Oh, no wonder:-) Well, no visual wit until then Wink
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2010 at 08:51
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

If you shoot or hunt long enough, sooner or later you'll probably get tagged.  I haven't been cut yet, but I been "touched" more than a few times.

That's so true and the reason that I'm kind of a convert to longer eye relief;
sure would hate to break a fine scope bangin' it on my hard head.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic