OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Glass Cracked?? Nikon Monarch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass Cracked?? Nikon Monarch
    Posted: September/07/2010 at 19:41
 Hey guys,

I've got a Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5-10 x 56, and the glass appears to be cracking at the ocular end of the scope. What do you guys think? How is Nikon's customer service these days? BTW, this crack or whatever it is, isn't visible while looking through the scope.

You guys probably don't need three images showing the same thing, but I thought I'd include them anyway.

Edited by ti-force - September/08/2010 at 20:51
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 19:46
good luck with nikons cs dept, let us know how they treat you.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 20:03
is it a crack or a scratch in teh coatings?
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 20:06
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Uh oh.... That doesn't sound too good Sad.

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

To me it looks like a crack in the glass. It's not on the exterior surface; looks deep.

Edited by ti-force - September/07/2010 at 20:07
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 20:15
Originally posted by ti-force ti-force wrote:

Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

Uh oh.... That doesn't sound too good Sad.

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

To me it looks like a crack in the glass. It's not on the exterior surface; looks deep.

they are hit and miss, you know one person will come in here and praise nikon cs to the rafters of the highest church in new york, the next guy will cuss them all the way to the gates of hades.

just preparing you for both, i hope you get lucky!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 23:57
It's a real shame that most of the older scope & camera companies used to have great reliability, quality control & customer service,now they made the money & are living in the past & cutting all kinds of corners.Companies like Leica,Bushnell,Leupold & Nikon to name a few used to be top notch,now most of them are second rate.

I hear good things are starting to happen for Leica once again,so hopefully they can be the power of example to the rest who are living on their laurels!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 00:55
Looks like a hair . Maybe poor air quality during assembly????
Either way, has to be sent back.
Good luck.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 08:06
+1

Treat it like tax money- send it in.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 15:15
I hate when this happens right before the busy season.  Send it in, but you might want to implement a back up plan for this huning season, just in case.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 17:52
 Thanks guys and I'll keep this thread updated with the results. I contacted them through email last night and haven't heard back from them yet, but I understand they're a busy company, so I'll have some patience.

Edited by ti-force - September/08/2010 at 20:49
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 18:14
BTW manly bedding. Just kidding.
Gerald Baker
270XBolt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 270XBolt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 20:16

If things go well, you may never know what was actually wrong with the scope.  They may very well just replace it.

ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 17:43
 Yesterday afternoon I received an email response from Nikon, and I was told to simply send the scope in for evaluation with a photocopy of the receipt. The problem is, I don't have the receipt. I replied, stating that I no longer have the receipt and asked if this would be a problem. I haven't received a response yet, but I'm hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst; as bad as I hate to say it, this sounds like an easy way to weasel out of a repair.

Edited by ti-force - September/12/2010 at 17:48
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 17:55
sh*tty part is that the monarch gold is top shelf as far as nikons go. it pisses me off to no end when companies expect you to keep a receipt of something you bought years ago. to hell with that scope companies, just stand behind your products!
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 18:02
 I agree completely. If Nikon shafts me on this one, they better enjoy it because it won't ever happen again. I know Bushnell used to be good at standing behind their product. Does this still hold true? What about Trijicon?
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 18:18
That sucks.
Gerald Baker
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 18:27
Originally posted by ti-force ti-force wrote:

Yesterday afternoon I received an email response from Nikon, and I was told to simply send the scope in for evaluation with a photocopy of the receipt. The problem is, I don't have the receipt. I replied, stating that I no longer have the receipt and asked if this would be a problem. I haven't received a response yet, but I'm hoping for the best, and preparing for the worst; as bad as I hate to say it, this sounds like an easy way to weasel out of a repair.
Email them back and tell them Hensoldt, Zeiss, Leupold and Vortex don't care if you're the 1 or 10th owner and they don't require anything but your scope...so the can replace or fix it.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
ti-force View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ti-force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 18:41
Originally posted by 308 Sav 308 Sav wrote:

That sucks.

Originally posted by Magnumdood Magnumdood wrote:

Email them back and tell them Hensoldt, Zeiss, Leupold and Vortex don't care if you're the 1 or 10th owner and they don't require anything but your scope...so the can replace or fix it.

It's not looking too good is it? Sad Pacer An $800 dollar scope and they may not stand behind it. But, there's still hope. Maybe I'll get a response stating that a receipt won't be required, BUT, if I get a response saying they can't repair it, I'll definitely respond back with an argument, and a statement.
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 20:33
As much as I've hated both the durability and the glass in the two Leupolds I've had, they have both had issues, and Leupold fixes them no questions asked. I'm starting to think some of the higher end Leupolds may not be so bad, as while the glass is not as good as others in that price range, at least you know if something happens to it you won't be buying another.

This also is not good to hear as I just bought a Nikon Prostaff to use to get by until the SS 5-20 comes out.

As for warranty of other companies, read the thread Bummed on Bushnell, or something to that effect. Sounds like some guys have okay luck with them, but others not so much.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2010 at 20:37
I hate this for you but, i would call and ask for a manager vs email.  I know sometimes email is easier but like you stated, this is a rather expensive scope and it would be a priority of mine!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic