OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon Monarch or Meopta meopro??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dano1890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon Monarch or Meopta meopro??
    Posted: September/07/2010 at 14:22
I have looked at both these scopes and like each one. However I have never hunted with either. I want something that will give me good light transmission for dawn and dusk. The Nikon is a 2.5x10x50 and the Meopro is 4x10x50, Meopta is a little more priced, which one would you guys recommend?
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 14:55
Welcome to the OT Dano!

They are both good scopes,the glass is a toss up,but I think I'd go with the Monarch because of lower end for hunting!

Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 14:59
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

Welcome to the OT Dano!

They are both good scopes,the glass is a toss up,but I think I'd go with the Monarch because of lower end for hunting!

+1
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Dano1890 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dano1890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 15:04

I have buddies that have Meoptas and they say that the glass is going to be WAY better than the Nikon. However, the price is about 100.00 cheaper. That doesnt matter too much to me I just want a good scope that will let me see the back of the greenfield when its almost dark. Big Grin

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 15:06

you'll see more at 2.5x than 4x in the darker light conditions, normally!

Edited by SVT_Tactical - September/07/2010 at 15:07
Dano1890 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dano1890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 15:07
But will the Meopta glass make up for that? Will it be a better quality? What Im asking is how good are the NIkon Monarchs glass?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 15:13
Never compared the two side by side.  I am sure some of the other guys have and will chime in.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 15:46
I have not looked through the Meopro line, but do have some time behind the Monarch and they are pretty decent.  The Meopro line is pretty new and I not sure your going to get alot of feed back on it just yet.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Dano1890 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dano1890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 15:51
Can you describe "pretty decent"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 15:56
check this out.  May help
Koshkin is a member here and is awesome at review scopes. IF he says yay or nay, I'd take it to the bank, I'm hoping he will chime in on this topic.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 16:42
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Koshkin is a member here and is awesome at review scopes. IF he says yay or nay, I'd take it to the bank, I'm hoping he will chime in on this topic.

I'd wager that Koshkin would probably go with the Meopta. He isn't a Nikon floosy like me.  Wink

The only REAL knock you may have with the NEW Monarch is that it has a really large ocular housing which MAY interfere with certain rifles bolt throw. I had a new Monarch on a Remington 700 and wasn't hindered at all, but if you have a rifle like say a CZ, it may be a problem.

That said, I think the 2.5-10x Monarchs are good to go and would serve you well, however I do like the #4 reticle that the Meopta offers and the Nikon doesn't. You mentioned needing a good low light scope.

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 17:25
It used to be that the Meopro was a steel tube & the Meostar is aluminium.Meopta does make very good glass like the zeiss conquest but I'm not quite sure if the Meopro is the same glass as the Meostar?

Maybe Ilya will chime in to help with this discussion!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Dano1890 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dano1890 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 08:05
Thanks, guys. I would like to hear from anybody that hunts with either of the two as well.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 10:41
Dano, I have been hunting with nikon monarchs for a whole bunch of years and they have not let me down yet!
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic