OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What Scope For Each

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Scope For Each
    Posted: September/07/2010 at 12:48
I am thinking about upgrading the scopes on my .17 hmr and my enfield .303 and Vortex comes to mind first having recently put a Vortex Viper on my .30-06 and being superbly satisfied and impressed . However any other recommendations would be great as well. The .17 hmr scope that I have I only really have one complaint with. It is a simmons 3-9x32 and is fine for my .17 except that it has no paralax adjustment so in the higher magnification parallax is an issue.

Next for my Enfield. It had a Eurolux scope that crapped out after 50 or so rounds. For this one I am thinking I dont want any more than 7 or 9 maximum power. A nice fixed power of around 6 or so would also be great with good field of few for medium range moving but not running animals. That is if Indiana ever allows rifles. It would make a great hunting rifle/truck gun.

Lastly a friend of mine wants a scope for his H&R slug hunter.

Wondering about diamondbacks and  crossfires and how they would work on any of these. I know the Vipers are good.

Edited by saitotiktmdog - September/08/2010 at 15:19
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 12:59
I wouldn't buy less than the viper. Just my opinion.
saitotiktmdog View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 13:03
My friend is thinking about a Nikon Buckmaster for his Shotgun. Are those any good. I have heard good things.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 13:04
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I wouldn't buy less than the viper. Just my opinion.
Even for the .17?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 13:04
Never used one.  I have used a prostaff for a while and it was definately servicable and held up really well.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 14:58
I'm with Graham on this one ,stay with the Viper,a very good line of scopes!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 16:14

I think with the current discounted pricing on the select Vipers, theres no reason to look at their lessor lines.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 16:55
i used the diamondback for two weeks, and it was a nice scope. its not a viper, but its still a good scope.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 08:18
I dont really need a great scope on the enfield as it is an old battle rifle and dont expect it to be exptremely accurate. I just need a decent one that will hold up to the recoil. A vortex would be overkill for a rifle like that. The .17 I am thinking of one of the crossfires specifically for a rimfire.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 08:31
 You might consider this for your Enfield:

The FFII's are tough scopes.

The new Redfields are getting good write ups so far also.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 08:42
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

You might consider this for your Enfield:

The FFII's are tough scopes.

The new Redfields are getting good write ups so far also.
Looks tempting. I have not ruled out other scopes I was just wondering what vortex scopes would be good for my other two rifles. I am open to other suggestions as well. I will look into that one. THanks.
JimFromTN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimFromTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 08:45
This is what I would put on the slug gun.  I had a buckmaster.  The optics are good but not as good as the viper.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11226.aspx
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 08:55
Originally posted by JimFromTN JimFromTN wrote:

This is what I would put on the slug gun.  I had a buckmaster.  The optics are good but not as good as the viper.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-2-7x32-Viper-Rifle-Scope-P11226.aspx
That would work well on my enfield too I would think.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 14:58
Anyone else?     Is there a way to change the title of a thread?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 15:03
Originally posted by saitotiktmdog saitotiktmdog wrote:

you can sometimes edit the first post and that will allow it
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 15:20
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

you can sometimes edit the first post and that will allow it
Thanks. I edited the post and changed it around some but not enough to make some of the earlier posts not make sense. At least I think.
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 05:10
If you are really looking for a value scope for your enfield then I might suggest a look at the pentax pioneer scopes on close out. I put one of the 4.5x14 on a 223 I have and for the price they are pretty nice. The sightron SI scope line is also suppose to be nice for the $100 to $125 range. Of course the Redfields as suggested above are a good choice. Under that you are probably looking at a bushnell trophy or comparable scope.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 10:25
I would like all the scopes to have parallax adjustment if it is a variable. Some do it automatically dont they.

Edited by saitotiktmdog - September/09/2010 at 10:57
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 14:39

I would like all the scopes to have parallax adjustment if it is a variable. Some do it automatically dont they.
No, none of them do it automatically.  Typically, centerfire rifle scopes are set to be parallax-free at 150 yards.  Scopes that are designated as Shotgun scopes typically are set to be parallax-free at 75 yards.  All of the above is assuming we're discussing scopes that don't have an Adjustable Objective, or a side parallax adjustment knob on the erector housing.  With an Adjustable Objective or a side parallax adjustment knob, you can adjust the scope to be parallax-free at whatever distance you happen to be shooting.  But, none of them do it automatically.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saitotiktmdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/09/2010 at 20:08
I see.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic