OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Talley rings not touching in the middle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdj588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Talley rings not touching in the middle
    Posted: September/06/2010 at 23:16
I got some Talley one piece, 1inch rings/mounts for my Remington 700 and Bushnell 4200 3-9x 40 scope. I was just checkin it out and I noticed the top part of the ring doesnt sit flush with the bottom part of the ring. Theres a gap between the top and bottom but I can tighten the screws up anymore.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 23:27
Originally posted by cdj588 cdj588 wrote:

I got some Talley one piece, 1inch rings/mounts for my Remington 700 and Bushnell 4200 3-9x 40 scope. I was just checkin it out and I noticed the top part of the ring doesnt sit flush with the bottom part of the ring. Theres a gap between the top and bottom but I can tighten the screws up anymore.

cdj588, need more info. Which Talley rings do you have (lightweight, fixed, etc.)?? Which Talley bases if not lightweight (standard, extended, etc.)??

Sounds like you should have 1" rings from the description of the Bushnell scope you have. Please add  info about your m700 rifle as well (standard m700, Sendero, etc).

Thanks

Edited by mike650 - September/06/2010 at 23:31
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cdj588 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdj588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 23:49
lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 23:56
cdj: are you saying the top and bottom halves don't touch on the outer edges when you tighten the top half down over the scope? Not necessarily supposed to; just try to keep the (4) gaps even as possible.
cdj588 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdj588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 00:42

exactly.one side is almost all the way down and the other is way off

8shots View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Lord Of The Flies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8shots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 05:15
As lewwetzel says..just loosen the side that is almost touching, tighten other side till you get even spacing. The gap per each one should maybe be max 78 thou or so.(2mm)
Do not over tighten the rings! You can damage your scope !!!

What do you mean by way off? 1/4 inch?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 06:26
tighten them all up equally so the gap is the same on each side.  DO NOT tight as hard as you can you could damage your scope.  Make sure you are torquing to the recommended poundage as well!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 06:40
CDJ, having gaps between the upper and lower ring halves is normal and in fact SHOULD be there if you've tightened the ring screws to the proper torque (around 25 inch pounds).  As was stated above, just make sure the gaps appear to be even on both sides and don't over-torque the screws.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 06:41
On the 4 sets of talley Light Weights I have.  When properly torqued using a torgue screwdriver I have about a 1mm gap on both sides.  The gap ensures you are actually clamping the scope tube and it also allows for manufacturing tolerances of the tubes and the ability to lap your rings to correct mis- alignment
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 07:30
Warne Torque Wrench Warne Torque Wrench
Stock # - TW1
$19.95
This tightens them to the correct tightness and will not over tighten them. You can damage the scope by tightening down too much and crushing the tube.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 07:51
 " Theres a gap between the top and bottom but I can tighten the screws up anymore."

"DO NOT tight as hard as you can you could damage your scope."

UH OH,HOPE we're not too late!

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 08:01
Thats a great price Wes, if that torquedriver is accurate!  I was lucky enough to get a Utica adjustable torque screwdriver from work!  Those darn things cost $250!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 08:09
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

" Theres a gap between the top and bottom but I can tighten the screws up anymore."

"DO NOT tight as hard as you can you could damage your scope."

UH OH,HOPE we're not too late!

My thoughts when i typed that
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 08:22
Yeah I was invisioning a tube that looks like two hour glasses stacked together!
--Thomas Jefferson

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 10:09
 I figured you both did but thought I'd better put it up here anyways.  HOPE the OP wasn't drinking coffee while reading it!
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 10:16
or any other liquid for that matter!
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 17:52
Talley recommends 18-20 #'s on the rings & 23-25 #'s on the base,& don't overtighten as they can bend.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
cdj588 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdj588 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 20:56

Will the tube have to be dented to be damged or can it still be damaged and look ok on the outside?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 21:10
not always but normally.  IF you don't see or can't feel any variations in teh tube your are probably safe.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic