OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optics Suggestions for SIG556 Classic SWAT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 21:06
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Another option would be to get a higher power scope for varmints and then get a mount with rail caps that you could mount a small red dot to for up close work. 
Thanks for helping me refine my thoughts...
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 21:07
Originally posted by 308 Sav 308 Sav wrote:

It is hard to find a true dual purpose scope though that will do varmint and home defense.
I agree...
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 21:15
Give this thread some time there are a lot of members here that might know a good compromise. Lord know my experience with a bunch of scopes is very limited.
Gerald Baker
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 21:41
Sometimes the answer to doing all you want to do with the rifle is to have multiple types of optics mounted in quick release mounts.  Shown with 6x42 Super Sniper  Compact ACOG 3x red crosshair and aimpoint Comp M4s

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 21:48

If you decide home defense is your gig, take a look at the Aimpoint or EoTechs.  Both allow both eyes open rapid acquisition, and are suitable for close to medium range.  Having qualified numerous times with the M16 and M4 at up to 300 with pop up man size targets with only iron sights, I can tell you that even though not magnified will do the job.  Would I want to take my Eotech prairie dog shooting?  Only if I thought I would have some 75 yards or less, otherwise difficult. 

That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 07:47
I think having multiple optics for it makes a lot of sense if it plays different roles a guy could have a  no power or low power illuminated optic and a higher power rifle scope. If it was prairie dogs I might even go to a 20x Sightron SIII but if it was anything under 100 yds I would not go over a 6 power scope.  The 3-9x40 Zeiss conquest is a good all around hunting type scope at a reasonable price. I usually run the 3x compact ACOG with red crosshair on this rifle more than any other scope and I have a 1.5x ACOG that I like even better but since it has more eye relief  I run it on a .308.  The 1.5x with amber triangle seems to me go give me an edge over a red dot as the triangle comes to a precise point and I am able to get sub MOA groups with it at 300 yds because of that even in the 1.5  power. If I could only own one scope this would be it
, but I  might go red as the amber washes out at night looking toward streetlights but its great under all other conditions.
Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Amber Triangle Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA442
  • Amber Triangle
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$909.95
Add Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA44R2
  • Red Triangle
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
$909.95
Add Trijicon 1.5x16 Compact Acog Rifle Scope to Cart

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - September/07/2010 at 07:51

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 07:55

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Flats View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 10:03
I just went through this process.  There is no "do-it-all" single solution for home defense, plinking and long range.  There just isn't.  There are some decent compromises (Acog or Accupoint, a handfull of 1-4 tac scopes), but they are compromises and they are expensive.

I ended up with a Viper 3-9 for hunting & targets, and will get a red dot for <100 yards.  The scope is going on a Larue QD mount, so it'll come off when not at the range or hunting.  If you're new to the platform, learn the iron sights first, then figure out which close range optic suits you best.  A non-magnified red-dot is the consensus "best" for short distance two-way encounters, but what works for the consensus may not work for you.

My setup will end up being ~ $440 for the hunting package, and the red dot will be anywhere from $200 to $600, depending on the brand.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 10:14
Get the Trijicon accupoint 1-4x.  I have tried Red dots, fixed 4x, fixed 3x Acog, and the Trijicon 1-4x is the best I have tried.  The 1x is really fast with a huge FOV, and 4x is plenty for medium ranges.  2 and 3x are not really needed.  I got the green triangle and really like the triangle.  The small aiming point ontop of it is very precise. 

I think it is the best do it all optic available right now for an AR.  It would be nice if it had some sort of BDC reticle or knobs, but we will just have to wait for the variable SS to get that. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/08/2010 at 22:01
Thanks for all the great info. I will be shooting with the iron sights to start with. I hope the SS comes out soon. You guys have been very informative and helpful. Keep the ideas coming....
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 13:39
I have purchased the EOTech 516 to use for 100 yds or less until the SWFA SS 1-4 comes out. It was easy to set up and sight in, and I shoot tighter groups than with the iron sights. When the SS scope comes out I will get it and have two scopes for the price of the Trijicon 1-4... or at least close to the same cost. The EOTech is very quick to acquire the target with a 65 MOA circle and a 1 MOA dot in the center. Good for up close work. Thanks all for your help I love all the input!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 14:06
Originally posted by bigdtd bigdtd wrote:

When the SS scope comes out I will get it and have two scopes for the price of the Trijicon 1-4... or at least close to the same cost.

I doubt that.  I bet the SS itself is going to be more than the Trijicon.  It is not like the original SS scopes that only cost $300.  This has better glass and is better built and has a lot more bells and whistles, which results in higher costs to build.  I bet it will be closer to the $800 range.  I dare bet it will be worth every penny though. 

Edited by supertool73 - November/08/2010 at 14:07
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2010 at 14:11
agreed but don't know the price yet. I am not gonna speculate  on it to much cause Chris is full of surprises
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 08:51
I just went throught this whole process myself on a S&W MP-15 AR.  Installed GG&G BUIS (flip up iron sights) that stay on the gun but out of the way when using optics.
For the close stuff I opted for a Eotech 512 in a GG&G Q/D mount.  Am waiting on the Vortex Viper PST 2.5x10x44 for the longer range/hunting stuff which will also go in a GG&G Q/D mount.
The 2.5x10 will give you a nice low end for closer work/hunting, and the 10 power end will provide enough when you want to "stretch it's legs" a bit.  You'll also get an illuminated reticle, and turrets that match the reticle in your choice of mils, or MOA.  Pick your flavor.

Something to keep in mind, just because you have lots of rail space, doesn't mean you have to fill it up.  Sure it may look cool, but remember that you'll have to carry it all and "heavy" shows up in a hurry.  Good luck.
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2010 at 09:49
the eotech 516 has an integrated mount, one thumb screw on and off, i placed it in front of the diopter rear iron sight. it witnesses the front sight and would come off in an instant if i needed to return to iron sights quickly.
skeeeter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skeeeter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2011 at 03:31

I am also in your position, wanting a scope for my Sig 556 Classic. I think I have it narrowed down to a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16x42 Mil-Dot.

Is 2.5 magnification too much for CQ applications?

What is the general opinion on the Bushnell 6500 series with 2.5-16 x42 for the AR type platform?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic