OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Optics Suggestions for SIG556 Classic SWAT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Optics Suggestions for SIG556 Classic SWAT
    Posted: September/06/2010 at 19:53

Any suggestions for optics, accessories, on the 556 Classic SWAT? It has the diopter sight on it from the factory. I see a wide range of options. I will be starting out at 100 yds and will be using the gun for recreational target, varmint, and possibly home protection roles. I see small scopes at from 100 to 1000s. The Trijicon looks like quality stuff but if I could do more for less, well you get the idea. I am new to this so any and all suggestions and recommendations are appreciated. Lots of rail areas to hang stuff off...Smile

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 19:55
Whats your price range?  Looking for red-dot or telescopic?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:08

I am wide open, and not so knowledgeable... I have a Vari X3 Leupold on my Remington 700. It is the only gun I have with a scope. 300 to 400 would be nice but I see some nice options at 1000 that would be the top of my range. What is the difference between a red dot and telescopic?

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:11
red dot is exactly what is sounds like you have a red dot as an aiming point, normally with no magnification.  great for CQB and fast target acquisition.  Telescoping means power basically normally from 1x all the way on up.   A good fit IMO for a AR style platform where you want to do it all is a 1-4.  There is a new SS 1-4 in the works right now that may be your best option.  Only problem is its not quite out yet and no firm release date has been said.  Check it out here

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:20
Thanks for your patience and understanding. I am thinking telescopic would be needed. The link you listed is interesting. What would be roughly the price range for that? (or someting comparable)
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:29
Here are a few 1-4's ish but they won't compare to the quality of the SS when it comes out

Leatherwood 1-4x24 CMR Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Leatherwood 1-4x24 CMR Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - CMR14X24
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Special Ranging w/ Circle and Dot
  • 30mm
  • Comes with Leatherwood Lens Covers
  • Zero Locking Turrets
$249.95 
Weaver 1.5-5x32 Grand Slam Rifle Scope
Dual-X Weaver 1.5-5x32 Grand Slam Rifle Scope
Stock # - 800471
  • Matte
  • Dual-X
  • 1"
  • Mail-In Coupon for a Free Canvas Gear Bag (Valued at $125)
$309.95 
Add Weaver 1.5-5x32 Grand Slam Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:
Millett 1-4x24 DMS Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Illuminated Donut-Dot Millett 1-4x24 DMS Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - BK81002
  • Matte
  • Illuminated Donut-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Designated Marksman Scope
$199.95 
Add Millett 1-4x24 DMS Tactical 30mm Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessory:
these are just a few

Now these would be top quality and comparable and availible now! but cost more too!
IOR 1.1-4x26 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Illuminated CQB IOR 1.1-4x26 Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - 114262
  • Matte
  • Illuminated CQB
  • 30mm
$944.95 
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:38
Thank you so much for your help. I am starting to form some good ideas. Whats's the deal on the ACOG varieties, more ruggedness or just a different sight picture or low light capability?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:40
They are fixed power. meaning always at that power no matter what.  Some love them some dont I've used them in the past but dont' currently use one.  Doesn't mean i won't again but it can sit in the sock drawer a while longer.  They are great scopes and very rugged.  I wouldn't hesitate at all to use one for that gun
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:41
if you really want to do varmint, you might want a larger powered scope.
Gerald Baker
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:42
Looks like they have greater magnification, not so good for up close or quick target acquisition...
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:43
Rem model 870 is my home defense quick acquisition scope. LOL 
Gerald Baker
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:44
the higher the "low" end power the harder to acquire targets faster up close if at all.  IF you want home protection you don't want anything over a 2-3X IMO.  The 3X ACOG or Compact ACOG would be ideal.
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:46
It is hard to find a true dual purpose scope though that will do varmint and home defense.
Gerald Baker
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:47
Another option would be to get a higher power scope for varmints and then get a mount with rail caps that you could mount a small red dot to for up close work. 
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:50
got one of those!
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:54
870 that is...
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:56
the acog is fixed for ruggedness purposes?
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:56
Originally posted by bigdtd bigdtd wrote:

870 that is...

Then you are good to go. When they get to far away for that pick up the rifle.
Gerald Baker
308 Sav View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308 Sav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 20:56
I am too old to chase someone
Gerald Baker
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 21:04
Thanks so much you guys for getting my head into the game. I pick up the 556 Friday....cant wait!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic