OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SOS, Stuck between Leupold, Minox and Burris.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SOS, Stuck between Leupold, Minox and Burris.
    Posted: September/05/2010 at 13:48
Im looking for a scope on my new toy. Will be shooting mostly paper on 500yds or so. My friend has a Leupold which I think is very nice. Still, after browsing the web Ive found more interesting scopes. Now Im a bit stuck. They are all pretty much same price, all have fine duplex, similar zoom, 1" tube.  BUT......what about overall quality?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 13:56
if its for paper only you probably wont have a bad pick, the minox and the burris both i believe are a bit better optically than the leupold, i myself dont much care for a scope that wont go below 6x i prefer 3x9 or 4x whatever, but im into hunting more than paper shooting.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Smokey53119 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey53119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 20:15
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 20:31
Don't buy Leupold!
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Prieto9000 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 00:54
Originally posted by Smokey53119 Smokey53119 wrote:

Have you considered this http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x44-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P11232.aspx or this http://swfa.com/Vortex-65-20x50-Viper-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P11233.aspx
?

Very nice recomendations. I own Both and I´m very very happy with them. Very nice scopes. Excelent quality and for the prices they are giving them right now you can´t look away.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 07:19
I own both the Minox Z5 & the Vortex=Glass is better on the Minox but the Vortex is built to last.Both scope companies have great customer service.Minox is a 1" tube/Vortex is a 30mm tube.
You can't go wrong with either!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 08:26
Thanks stickbow for informative input. The Vortex seems nice but I prefer a 1" tube. I have a Minox binoculars and the glass on those is amazing. Unfortunately my dealer does not have a rifle scope for me to look thru. Couple of questions based on the replies above.

1) Why NOT buy Leupold?

2) Does the Minox have a fine duplex?  Im not a fan of big bulky duplex, I like the fine line of the Leupold fine duplex. Thats very important to me, next to good glass.

3) Anyone have experience with the Burris?
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 09:44
Out of the 3 you mention, I would take the Burris and never look back.
Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Ed Connelly View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
God of no Chihuahua

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Connelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 09:58

Eat and Drink

Be sure to visit,

THE ED SHOW

Ju Cucarachas!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 10:18
1.  Leupold makes a decent scope, but they charge a "good scope" price for it - sometimes a "great scope" price.

Over the past few years, even the most vocal Leupold advocates have little more to praise than how fast they got their Leupold back when it broke.  Every company has issues, but Leupold is banking on the name recognition for the price and is cutting corners on cost and quality. 

Kimber is doing the same thing, they made a great 1911 in the 1990s and are now banking on that name to make a decent gun and charge a "good gun" price for it.

There is (almost) always a better option than Leupold, a higher quality, lower cost option.  I say "almost" because those few that get the 40% off discount are getting them for what  they are worth - in my opinion.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - September/06/2010 at 10:21
Sandracer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sandracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 11:51
I have the Leupold VX-3 and the Signature Select, to me the Leupold is better of the two!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 13:52
The Minox I have is the bdc style & I would say the ret. is a mid cross,not as thick as my Conquest #4 and not as thin as my Swaro Z5 BRX.Don't know if that helps but it's the best I can do!
shooter4 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 16:11
What about the glass in Burris?  Good enough to use all the 24x zoom or does it get dark and blurry?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 18:36
Any <$1000 24X will be somewhat disappointing at 24X, it is the nature of the scope design and limit of the scope optics.

If you had a 150mm objective, it'd be a nice view through the 24X.
bricat View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2010 at 23:32

lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 00:18
I was about ready to pull the trigger on a Minox like that with their ballistic reticle, until I read a nasty customer review on the 4-12X model on another major dealer's website (sorry, SWFA); the guy complained of a turret that fell apart and a "keyhole" view. Decided that as much as I try to buy American/semi-American-made, I don't want to be a guinea pig. Now I'm back to choosing between the Vortex Viper and Nikon Monarch.Whacko
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 06:24
Originally posted by lewwetzel lewwetzel wrote:

I was about ready to pull the trigger on a Minox like that with their ballistic reticle, until I read a nasty customer review on the 4-12X model on another major dealer's website (sorry, SWFA); the guy complained of a turret that fell apart and a "keyhole" view. Decided that as much as I try to buy American/semi-American-made, I don't want to be a guinea pig. Now I'm back to choosing between the Vortex Viper and Nikon Monarch.Whacko

well if your concerned about cs then i would steer clear of nikon, the only thing consistent about their cs dept is that they are inconsistent. vortex on the other hand is in the top three as far as cs goes.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/07/2010 at 15:15
+1 for the Vortex.Got to tell you though the CS with Minox = Vortex

Lew, not trying to steer you either way,but every company gets a bad piece of equiptment from time to time.That person who complained about the Minox,did he call Minox about the problem?

I own scopes from both Vortex & Minox & I don't think you can go wrong with either!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic