OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR10 with VIII B&C 4.5-14X40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappabear1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR10 with VIII B&C 4.5-14X40
    Posted: September/04/2010 at 22:59
I had a Nikon Monarch on my AR10 and the reticle was moving around on me quite a bit.  Nikon has always impressed me, but this scope must have been a rare poor build for Nikon.  It was a 2.5-10X42 with Mil dot.  I returned it and bought a Luepld V3 4.5-14X40, it has a B&C reticle.  I was reading the info on the scope to use the reticle properly.  Its my understanding you zero at 200, then you have a 300, 400, 450 and 500 hash marks.  Ruff estimates.  Is that the down and dirty?

Any suggestions for using this scope for my AR10.  16inch barrel.  168grain TAP ammo. 

Can I get a custom reticle? If so how much or custom knobs....

PB
JLud View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 23:23
There are a lot of variables for any of the ballistic reticles....caliber, different weights/speeds...then you have different weather conditions, temp, altitude, etc....  So they are not dead nutz by any means, but with practice they do serve as reference points and be quite helpful.  Certainly better for holdover then just guestimating most of the time with a standard reticle.

You can get custom knobs at different places, but I think you would probably be better served just shooting more....as would I as well.  Some might argue the 16 inch barrel would not be the best for to maintain the velocity needed for the longer ranges as well, but I would think no issues out to 500.
That thing on the left....my old ride, some days I miss her.
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 23:55
Not to mention if you change zoom, it throws the lower marks out the window. Unless you really get down at the range, and map the reticle at every mag. range.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Pappabear1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pappabear1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 02:33
So when zooming, it changes what again.  POI? 
PB
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 10:47
The P.O.I. of the main cross-hairs will remain constant. But the lower aim points of the BDC reticle will change with zoom. This is because it is a second focal- plane reticle. Almost all of the BDC scopes are. For your rifle I would recommend:

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Mil-DotSWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42
  • Matte
  • First Focal Plane Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD

$599.95

If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic