OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Friend's "new" rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Friend's "new" rifle
    Posted: September/04/2010 at 08:24
Had a buddy call last from KY. He's wanting a new rifle for a 2012 moose hunt up north. I'm understanding his top budget is around 4K, and he is considering Rifles Inc., McWhorter, Hill Country and Ed Brown. I suggested he check out a Cooper in 338-06 (for about half the price) and put a S&B Summit on it. What says everybody? Was my suggestion stupid? I think he really wants an Ed Brown. More power to him, but I guess I'm a bit jealous. Big Grin

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 09:16
I agree with the .338-06.  A FINE moose, elk, deer caliber that is good to as far as one would want to shoot.  Ballistics to 400yds are superb.  There is nothing on the North American continent that cannot be very succeessfully hunted with .338-06.  There are Zeiss Diavari's 2.5-10 on the sample list that would be excellent for such a rifle... Cooper has a great rep.  I've never owned or shot one, but a friend has one and loves it.  Very nice looking piece of hardware...
Great hunting to your friend...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
VYD View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VYD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 09:59
He sure has a lot more coins that he really need for a hunting rifle... Although it's difficult to suggest what rifle/scope combo one may want or need, I'd personally go with .300WM instead. For 4K you can have a great tactical rifle built by GA Precision, TacOps, or Tactical Rifles. Each to his own, but spending 4K on a hunting rifle is a bit over the top if you ask me...In any case, I'd like to see some pics of his rig whenever it's done, please.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 10:47
338 win mag is the most popular Alaska cartridge.  Tikka makes a 338 win mag with 3 shot one inch guarantee - (really think you will get much better with a custom).  I'd want a 2.5-10x56 Trijicon Accupoint but thats just me.

If I was going to build a custom rifle it would be a .375 H&H  why  cause it flat stomps the snot out of anything that walks and its been around a long time and will be around for a long time to come.
Find yourself able to afford hunting Africa you are already in a caliber that will work.  Much to be said for 416 Rigby also but it wont be the long range gun that the .375 H&H will.
Actually anything from 30-06 up would be more than suitable but most guys would use a 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM - buy some exotic cartridge caliber that you cant find bullets for and you may own a club should anything happen to your ammo.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 11:34
He should also add a Borden Rifles to his list. Unless he finds a used Brown he doesn't have to worry about that one cause Brown (Ed Brown that is) stopped making rifles recently.
Gunshow75 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunshow75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 18:19
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

338 win mag is the most popular Alaska cartridge.  ...

Not everyone can handle the recoil from a 338 Win Mag, and no amount of money will fix that in the short term.  My advice would be to buy a rifle he can shoot well.  Lots of moose have been killed with a 30-06, and similar cartridges. 

According to the Nosler Reloading Manual, Drew Goodlin of Federal Cartridge Co took about 25 elk and moose with the 338 Federal cartridge using 210 gr Partitions.  He said, "I never found a 33-caliber Partition bullet in a dead animal.  ... In every case, the animal died with a hole on each side."   The 338 Federal is very similar to a 30-06, power wise.

Tom

Longhunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 19:56
If you reload, you can reduce a .338 Win Mag load and get pretty close to .338 Federal or .338-06 velocities.  The reverse is not true.

Any of these three will probably work just fine, though!
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 20:57
He also should add Gordy Gritters out of Pela, Iowa.  Gordy ain't cheap, but then his rifles shoot like a house on fire.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 10:23
id opt for a .300win mag myself, but i have one already.

moose arent tough creatures,  they are a lot like shooting a beef cow. its the bears in alaska that prompt me to carry a .375H&H if i ever go up there.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 12:36
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

He should also add a Borden Rifles to his list. Unless he finds a used Brown he doesn't have to worry about that one cause Brown (Ed Brown that is) stopped making rifles recently.

Really, Brown quit making rifles? I'd not heard that. Guess he didn't sell enough! Oh well, it's not my worry.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 13:49
If you looked at the list of features on his rifles you would think they had all the makings of a killer rifle, but for some reason I can't recall ever hearing anyone really bragging about them being "tack drivers" like you do with Borden's, McWhorter's, Jarrett's, Bansner's, Hill Country's, Sisk's.....
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 14:00
rifles inc makes top shelf stuff, chris and cfII swear by them.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 14:24
  Yea,I'd like to be able to afford one of their lt wt configurations in a .25cal.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 14:33
id like to have one just like chris has in a 6.5stw, i would opt for a longer barrel myself, but im weird like that.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 14:45
 What bbl length did he get?
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 14:49
im not sure im thinking its a 22" i want a 28-30" for mine

http://www.opticstalk.com/post-your-rigs-here_topic8391_page5.html?KW=6.5+stw

maybe they are shorter than i thought. look at the bottom of the page.

Edited by pyro6999 - September/05/2010 at 14:52
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 15:15
 I'm thinking in a 6.5-284 you could do ok with a short bbl (that one looks like maybe 20"?)  With a BIG case like the 6.5 STW you would eventually reach a point of diminishing returns as far as bbl length goes I'm sure but I'd think your in the ball park with your 28-30" figures.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 15:19
they say the .264 win mag gets the most bang for the buck at 26" so im guessing the stw needs more tube since its a bigger case.
They call me "Boots"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 16:28
If it's for one hunt I'd go with a Remington 700 AW II or just a solid all weather model of any quality brand ..................and a Zeiss, Leica, or Bushnell scope with some type of hydrophobic/rainguard coatings ! I here those moose hunts happens in a lot of rainy and wet conditions !
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/05/2010 at 18:07
Even better would be to find a used 700 AWR, the original version that is, as those have McMillan stocks. Mostly I say this cause everything you bring to Alaska gets the sh*tt knocked outta it anyway. They don't have the pinpoint accuracy of the rifles being discussed here, but the intended target here is the size of a box car.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic