OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Who Made Kmart Binoc's?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who Made Kmart Binoc's?
    Posted: September/03/2010 at 21:52
I have a 7X set that is probably pushing 20 years of age, made in Japan. Am surprised by the detail and clarity, even when compared with my newer name-brand ones. They took a dive off the hood of a truck due to my carelessness, and I thought I got everything back together right, including glueing that prism-thingy back in place. Now I can't see anything but blur from that left lense, but the darned things still have a pretty decent view.  I'm sure the manufacturer is no longer in business, or if it was some big Japanese co. they're certainly now making their private-label products only in China.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 07:19
If I had to guess I would say light optical in japan. OK it doesnt really matter who made them as they are now toast and it would not be cost effecitve to repair them, so the question is what do you do now. My suggestion is consider the Zen Ray (chinese) binoculars and the used binoculars on Samplelist http://www.samplelist.com/Zen-Ray-10x42-Vista-Binocular-DEMO-A-P837.aspx
or if you can spend a little more these german made Kahles are very nice
want really great ones swarovski but be prepared to pay.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Hitthespot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hitthespot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 08:37
I checked mine carefully to see if I could find the manufacturer on them.  I have a pair of K-Mart 10 X 50's I bought probably 30 or more years ago.  They are marked Focal.  Siam Cat Optics.  Manfufactured in Japan for Kmart Corporation. 

I keep them now more for nostalgia's sake than anything else.  They were OK back in the day and I spent more than a few days looking into the heavens on a dark clear night.

Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 11:06
lew,

Have fun with your search! Cool

lewwetzel View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewwetzel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2010 at 22:58
Thanks for the info, all. That's a bunch! Those 10X50's look similar; mine are "Focal", also.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic